What are you planning on uncorking for the Super Bowl?

JimHow

What are you planning on uncorking for the Super Bowl?

Post by JimHow »

It is nerves time, gonna be a tough game, these Eagles remind me of those two Giants teams.
JCNorthway

Re: What are you planning on uncorking for the Super Bowl?

Post by JCNorthway »

We are having people over for dinner, and I don't think they are big wine folks. So with a ribeye roast, I am going to open a 2009 Karl Lawrence California Cab. Sadly the original partnership of that label dissolved, and although the label still exists, the winemaker is on to his own new venture that has priced me out of buying his more recent vintages.

Should be an interesting game from a strategy and tactics perspective. I don't think the Patriots will want to spot this Philly team a 28-3 halftime lead. :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yeah, this business of falling behind is getting old.
Do you know that, in 7 Super Bowl appearances with Brady/Belichik, they have NEVER scored in the first quarter.
William P

Post by William P »

Going to Casa Arv on Saturday for a SF grouping of BWE. After that I going on a month fast.

Bill
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nothing during the SuperBowl. But I'm bringing a bottle of Champagne and if the Eagles win, I'll open it. If the Patriots win, I won't have any alcohol that day.

Go Eagles (even if you beat my Vikes!).

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

It will be hard for me to root for the Eagles, but I will. I am tired of seeing NE win year after year.

Jim, how can you love that cheating Trump loving QB for the Pats?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah, the hate... The hate.

the jealousy.

We embrace it here in New England, it is us against the world.

A good video that explains well all the supposed "cheating":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csZusmtNzRw

They hate us because they ain't us.

LET'S GO!!!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Stefan, i understand that the Eagles aren't friends with the Cowboys, so though for you to chear for the Philadelphia team with their crest representing the symbol of America. But we're tired to see the Patriots there, USA is not only New England.

I liked what I saw in the National conference this year, with many exciting teams (LA Rams, Atlanta, New Orleans, Carolina, Philadelphia, Minnesota, Seattle and even Dallas).

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The New England glory lost a game against the Dolphins during the season. So anything can happens at the 52 SB. I think it will be a great game. Just want a fair, well played game, with good referees.

And I want to drink Champagne!

Nic
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

With respect to -
Yeah, this business of falling behind is getting old.
Do you know that, in 7 Super Bowl appearances with Brady/Belichik, they have NEVER scored in the first quarter.
I think he probably uses the first quarter just to conduct "research" to seenthe opposition's strategy and tendencies. I've not looked at the numbers to see if it's born out, but my impression is that he almost always outscores opponents in the 2nd half, even if he loses.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Probably won’t be drinking during the game. But I’m rooting for the Eagles and if they win, a Screaming Eagle will be drunk to celebrate. If they lose, we’ll drink it in honor of their effort.

I’m not really a NE hater, though I sometimes play one on the web just to irritate certain NE fans. I just feel like it’s the Eagle's time. They have a decent shot despite Brady's and Belichick's wizardry, as this year's Pats looks to be one of the weaker NE Super Bowl bound teams.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Although I have invites for the Super Bowl, I politely declined them. I declined even my BIL's invitation. I prefer to watch it with my 10 year old just like last year. I feel one of the greatest moments in father-son relationship is watching a ball game together or going on great hike.... Once he is off to college in half a dozen years or so, those moments become a rarity.

But anyways, I have things planned for tomorrow. Will make some chicken puffs as appetizers. Got my goat shank all prepped with some tomato rice. I will also cook some rabbit. Well, the lamb is no Agneau de Pauillac, but I will open a fine Northern Medoc like 02 (Lalande or Barton from that McArthur heist).

I will be happy if Philly wins it, but I am not tired of seeing NE winning it. Regarding the deflategate, it is made a mountain out of mole hill, in my opinion, with barely any substance to it. Teams are complaining that it had cost them the games because of 0.2 psi less pressure in the balls? I would say, they need to play with some BALLS instead of spinning some cock and bull story. But regarding the taping incident, that is worthy of an illegal act on part of BB. I am not sure how much it helped NE, but wrong is a wrong. Later victories proved that BB didn't have to do that. I think BB is immensely talented and people talk about his coaching and always overlook his scouting talent. His father is widely credited with inventing scouting manual and BB no wonder has that talent (unlike other coaches).

I am not tired of NE winning. I am pretty sure Chicagoans were never tired of Bulls winning, Texans were never tired of Cowboys winning, Californians never tired of Dubs/Lakers winning, New Yorkers never tired of Yankees winning (so much so that as a young lad I used to think World Series, by some baseball rule, is always between Yankees and other team which made it into finals), and those oh so Montreal natives were never tired of Habs winning for decades... :D

For me, it's not NE winning, but their display of tenacity, grit and determination is the takeaway. And that's what makes interesting for me. I will not be surprised someday BB/TB12/Pats will end up as a case study in a business school.

I have no horses in the race, but may the better team win...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

DavidG wrote:Probably won’t be drinking during the game. But I’m rooting for the Eagles and if they win, a Screaming Eagle will be drunk to celebrate. If they lose, we’ll drink it in honor of their effort.
:o

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Screagle is the perfect choice, David. Are you still on their list?

The Patriots have the best organization, the best coach, and the best quarterback in the NFL. They are also the best at cheating and murdering. Gotta respect them, but it is high time they went DOWN!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Looking forward to watching my annual NFL game. Not a big fan of the NFL but like the commercials and the half time show during superbowl with the game often being secondary. Last years comeback was crazy to watch though. Not a fan of cheaters so I guess I'll root for the underdogs...just not sure which team that is!! We'll do the wine tonight with a couple of filets. Will try an 04 Pavie Macquin to see where its at. If the contingent from 05 BWE tour that's the wine that we had barrel samples of after getting lost trying to find the place and having the bus head down a road too small to get us all the way to the vineyard.
Danny
jal

Post by jal »

AS a Jets fan, it's impossible for me to root for the Patriots. However, if they win, there is a silver lining:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/what-th ... rally.html

Hopefully, like the onetime "NFC win in the Superbowl=stock rally indicator", I'd love to put this one to bed. Go Eagles!!!
Best

Jacques
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Pliny the Elder. The Super Bowl isn't a wine event for me.

SF Ed
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

CV, winning never gets old if it’s your team.

Stefan, I tired of the keep two/sell one runaround required to assuage the guilt of opening a Screagle, so I dropped off the list. That and SQN were my last two holdouts, and they both went down last year. But I still have a few bottles.

Ed, I’m with you. I drank a SQN Raven the last time Baltimore was in it, but the Super Bowl is a beer thing for me. Though not a Super Beer like Pliny.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jal wrote:AS a Jets fan, it's impossible for me to root for the Patriots. However, if they win, there is a silver lining:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/25/what-th ... rally.html

Hopefully, like the onetime "NFC win in the Superbowl=stock rally indicator", I'd love to put this one to bed. Go Eagles!!!
I see that now that you’ve retired, you feel free to give away the secrets of your successful career! :D
jal

Post by jal »

David ROTFL.
As Jim would say, BWE is not just the site for wine commentary, along with football and politics, we are also your investment and retirement resource.
Best

Jacques
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

SF Ed wrote:Pliny the Elder. The Super Bowl isn't a wine event for me.

SF Ed
Same here. While rooting for the Pats I'll be enjoying a variety of the latest offerings from Trillium.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2015 St Innocent Zenith Vineyard Pinot Noir Special Selection.
jal

Post by jal »

What wine goes with nachos, chicken wings and guacamole?
I think we'll have some Mexican dark beer....
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Negra Modelo, Jacques. What else?
jal

Post by jal »

stefan wrote:Negra Modelo, Jacques. What else?
Exactly!!! I have a six pack cooling
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:2015 St Innocent Zenith Vineyard Pinot Noir Special Selection.
That's it, stefan? I was expecting more???? No get together???
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Here, with the chicken wings, the chili, wild goose smoked meat, I'm bringing a 2015 Altesino Rosso. And of course, I'll have a bottle of the Victoire Champagne, to open when Philly are champions!

Jim, which red Bordeaux for you?

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Dom Perignon.
stefan

Post by stefan »

So you are sure who will win, Jim. Did you negotiate the Pats payoff to the refs again this year?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I think Pats will be denied and Eagles will win....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes the refs have been paid (we won in 2001 because the league wanted the “Patriots” to win after 9/11), the cameras are all in place, we have stolen the opposition playbook and infected the Eagles lockerroom with the flu bug, and our steroids-infused, child molesting quarterback has the balls properly deflated under the allowed PSI. (You think I’m joking, these are actual excuses we have been hearing from the rest of the NFL loserdom during the Pats epic reign.) We should be good to go!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Want it or not, the cheating thing is so big with New England team that there is no smoke without fire.

But I lived it myself, as in 2002 someone from New England tricked the vote to make sure his 1986 Chateau Léoville Barton would won over my 1985 Chateau Grand-Puy Lacoste (the Pauillac was way better that night), so I have a tough time believing the Pats are "cleans".

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

Great first half.
So far so good. Go Eagles!
NO CHOKING LIKE ATLANTA AND SEATTLE
Best

Jacques
jal

Post by jal »

Great game!
Congratulations to the Philadelphia Eagles.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Epic game. I thought Tom was going to take it down the field in the last two minutes but it was not meant to be. Foles and the Eagles played great all night, not just for three quarters. Congratulations Harry and all Philly fans!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hip hip hurray!

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Unbelievable game. Brady shows for the umpteenth time why he is the greatest QB of all time, but a journeyman QB plays a fantastic game that almost matches Brady's. Congratulations, Eagles, and may parity return to the NFL.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Nice game. Raise your hand if you thought, before or at anytime during the game, it was going to turn on a defensive play. Eagles hang 40+ back to back against the two other best remaining teams in football? When did that last happen? Never I think.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Both sides had trouble with their kicking teams.
Both sides had the same trick play but only Philadelphia had success with it.
Good game!
The 2015 Ch. de Chantegrives (rouge) was good too. :)
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, yes; the wine. The 2015 SI Zenith Special Selection is outstanding. Very smooth, very balanced, with pomegranate and raspberry flavors. The nose is shy now, but lovely. The wine was great with left over pork stew.

Before the game the wife of a dying friend came over and we drank a bottle of 2013 St Innocent Pinot Gris. This is a good vintage for it, but it is time to finish any still lying around as any further development will be downward.