Wed Night in South Florida

dstgolf

Wed Night in South Florida

Post by dstgolf »

Finally a little down time and clear mind to say a few thank you's to our gracious hosts in Fort Lauderdale. Danielle and I have been enjoying a little time in South East Florida prior to heading across to the west coast on the weekend.

Wed night we got together at the Fort Lauderdale Marriott 3030 Ocean restaurant with Stuart and Kathy who brought along their friends again Hugh and Grace. Typical fashion they arrived toting wine chillers and glasses moving in for a night of well prepared pre decanted flights of wine with matching glassware. It is always a well orchestrated production that Stu puts on coordinating with his buddy Hugh. After the preliminary greetings and through some chit chat Stu was down to business pulling his first rabbit from the hat 1990 KRUG CLOS DU MESNIL that was well chilled with very fine mouse but for ourselves very yeasty with strong brioche tones that for some they love and for us a little too heavy. With food this would be stellar but as a toasting wine a little too big. No one seemed to talk about it so I'm assuming there were similar feelings around the table.

The first flight was go big or go home leaving Danielle and I wondering what the second act was going to be when you lead with such incredible strength. A couple of 82s came from Hugh...the Mouton and Latour!!!! Both were as good as they could get. WOWWW!!! Magic in a glass for both of them. They are equally incredible for different reasons. Mouton was classic pauillac with cassis,lead pencil, eucalyptis and nicely resolved ripe tannins but still perceptible. This showed strength and elegance but still dark purple and showing little signes of age at 35+yrs. Delicious with great length and the balance is stellar.

The Latour was amazing. Beefy/meaty with blood/iron and tobacco. Nose was captivating with perfect balance from start to finish with tannins still very present but almost completely resolved. Dark berry and cassis fruit with with developing earthy mushroomy tones so slight in the background. The depth of flavours and nuances going on here were killer and this for me was WOTN. Spectacular and thanks for sharing Hugh.

Flight 2 was anticlimactic with Stu pulling 66 Latour and Mouton. Even though treats that I hadn't enjoyed before they were still showing more than I expected. Not the depth or nuances of the first flight and certainly on the downslope of life the still showed pleasant redeeming character with both showing earthy tertiary notes with fuit present but fading Dwarfed by first flight youth but still an enjoyable drink with the Latour nudging the Mouton for flight honours.

Flight 3 stepped it up with two exceptional birth year wines for Danielle AGAIN!!!. The 59 Latour and Mouton were fabulous. The youthfulness of these two was stunning. Still dark purple with no signs of bricking but it was a dark dining room. Fully resolved and both in a wonderful place. Latour edges the Mouton again but both delicious and classic in their own rights. Man these were good. Smooth dark fruit,impeccable balance with a little more depth and complexity in the Latour.

The night was brought to an end by a wonderful 89 Suiduraut from Hugh. Another stunning wine from a great vintage and too bad that I had to drive home because I only had a few sips to enjoy thinking man if I keep going there is no way I'm going to be able to drive back. Thankfully my pacing and thoughts about small pours and not finishing everything in my glass allowed us a safe journey back to Delray Beach from Fort Lauderdale.

Another Epic night with some wonderful people came to an end too soon but the memories will last forever as they always do. Thanks to Stu and Hugh's generosity as words can't say thank you enough for an incredible even too short evening once again. Yes the food was not up to your standards but the wine and company more than made up for it. Until next time which won't come soon enough.
Danny
stefan

Re: Wed Night in South Florida

Post by stefan »

Stuart be da man, eh? What an outstanding group of wines for a mid week dinner at a hotel. I never drank 82 Mouton and 82 Latour side by side.

Lucie and I are sorry that you and Danielle won't make BWE-DC but are happy that Stuart and Kathy will be there.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Sounds like a great evening! I'll have to trust that the 1982s were the wines of the evening, but when top notch 1959s are on, for me nothing beats them.

And fading fruit from a 1966 Latour? I guess I just like them old.

I love BWE and the spirit of camaraderie that has us pull gems out and share them. That is what wine is all about.

SF Ed
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Oh what a night! The 82s wow, 66s my gosh but 59s - crikey!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Fantastic, what a great spirit of sharing. Not to mention it sounds like the wines didn't suck either.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Ouf, i can feel the heat from here. This is great company and great lineup. I know SdR and Kathy are too generous with other wine lovers, but when their friends areabout as generous? I feel like intimidated.

I'm trying to convince MC to go to Florida this early summer. If so, i'll challenge Stu to bring a 1974... :_)

So SdR, which vintage flight you preferred? And Kathy?

Nic
sdr

Post by sdr »

It’s always fun to play host to BWE man about town Danny and lovely wife Danielle.

It’s great to open a few oldies with people that appreciate them, although as always the company reigns supreme.

Too bad the food was too salty because it’s usually fabulous there. And unfortunately Danny had to hold back on his pours since he was playing chauffeur so there was still some wine left at the end of the night.

And Danny is on target with his wonderful reviews. The ‘82s were indeed the best flight, all three Latours bested the Moutons and the ‘59s were both exceptional. But I was also very impressed with ‘66 Latour, while the ‘66 Mouton lagged behind. By the way, most of the oldest quartet I purchased not too long ago from WineBid from which I have had good luck.

Well, not too many oldie oldies left. And no, Nic, no ‘74s, too bad it was a lousy vintage. Maybe I can find something for you, though.

Stu
Mintonly

Post by Mintonly »

a great wine is a must for that celebration nice sharing it.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Does wine get much better?

Color me jealous... ;-))))))))))))

Alex R.