BWE '18 dinner at Black Salt

JimHow

BWE '18 dinner at Black Salt

Post by JimHow »

Well, so much for pacing myself.
The Quebecois Contingent met me at my room, where we uncorked a 2002 Pol Roger, which was its usually consistently smooth.
We then traveled to Black Salt, the seafood restaurant adjacent to MacArthur's, where we were led to a back room dinner organized by Chris "Winona Chief" Bublitz.
There, in the flesh, were Rob and Sue, Chris and Marjorie, Jace, Marcus, and the inestimable Stefan and Lucie, everyone looking good as we commenced a weekend of festivities. The food and service were A++, I was extremely pleased with the attention to detail that the staff gave us, although at one point we were having a little trouble keeping up with the courses as we were half way through dinner and had not yet poured any of the reds! We soon slowed down, however, and the reds began to flow.
What a great selection! Nicola's Chartogne-Taillet Les Couarres was a hit, it is a happy style of Champagne that was just perfect to start the evening with the early courses. I thought that 164th Krug was beautiful, great dignity and balance. Loved it.
The whites for me may have been served a little too warm -- two white Burgundies and two white Bordeauxs -- for me, my favorite was the 2014 Smith Haut Laffite Blanc, so pure, a clear almost-water like color that, again, I think I would have liked to have a little more chilled. I look forward to uncorking my one bottle of this with lobster in Maine this summer, perhaps with some BWEers?
The wine of the night was the 1999 Margaux -- absolutely spectacular -- but for me the story of the night was the performance of the Palmers. I loved every one of them, all quite distinctive: 1989, complex, aromatic; 1999, complex, aromatic; 2001, loved it, young, rich, a little more modern but just so classy. But for me the Palmer of the night was the 1995: Not necessarily because it was "better" than the others, but its style was right up my alley, that clean structured James Suckling vintage, where the late season rains added a structure and backbone to the wines that you can spot a mile away. What a great treat.
The Ridge Monte Bellos were strong, so youthful, the 1997 clearly outclassing the 1993. We had nearly a full bottle of the 2002 left over. I just couldn't believe the color of that 1997 Monte Bello, it was like it was bottled yesterday, black/purple to the rim.
Jean Frederic brought a 1989 Canon that was stunning, on both the nose and palate, singing out that wonderfully unique terroir.
Both d'Yquems were splendid, that wonderfully viscous 1995 so balanced and complex, its apple, peach, and pair flavors sending us into that same altered state of consciousness that it did when we first had it with Jean Nicolas and the rest of BWE from magnum at the Napa convention back in 2002. It's tremendous to be drinking that wine with Nicola and other BWEers after all these years, when Nic, Whuzzup, and I negotiated the purchase of the magnum in a warehouse in Napa. I've had it many times, including with the likes of Alfred Tesseron, and I never take it for granted. I just love how that thickness of the wine mingles with the saliva in the back of my mouth and hits those taste buds in the back of the mouth that literally makes my body tingle!
The 1996 d'Yquem was great too, but distinctively different that the 1995. The 1996 was more structured, deeper colored, gives you a light slap in the face, like the local bishop used to do at your Roman Catholic confirmation... it hurts so good, in a religious kind of way.
A great night! Thanks Chris for setting it up. It sounds cliche, but BWE is about the people!
stefan

Re: BWE '18 dinner at Black Salt

Post by stefan »

Wonderful friends, food, and wine at Black Salt. The Palmers were 2001, 1999, 1995, and 1989. The other reds were 1999 Margaux, 1989 Canon, and three Ridge Montebellos--2002, 1997, and 1993. No corked bottles. The 1999 Margaux shined. I thought it was much better than the 1999 Palmer. 1989 was my favorite Palmer and I also loved the 1989 Canon. But all the Palmers were really good. The three Montebellos were top notch for CA cabs and quite different from the Bordeaux we drank. The 1997 is still primary, BTW. We also had four white wines, three bottles of Champagne, and a couple of stickies from that "Y" estate (1995 & 1996). No bad bottles, although the 2002 Laville Haut Brion was slightly oxidized and the 2014 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc was too young for my taste with aggressive Sauvignon Blanc. The 2011 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne was my favorite white. It is surprisingly minerally for such a young Corton Charlie. That is good news because Martray has had severe premox problems (nine bottles from my case of 1999s were premoxed). The first bottle of Chartogne-Taillet Les Couarres went quickly, so it was good that there was a second one. This Champagne actually matched the fish carpaccio with sauce dish better than the Krug 164, which paired better with the fish without sauce.
It was, of course, a treat to finish with two Yquems that are only a year apart. It is hard to say which was better.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sensational line up, a terrific start to the festivities. I bet that the 89 Canon was the most mature red of the night. I love that chateau.

We had the 99 Margaux and 99 Palmer as well on Thursday night last year in SanFran. Sounds like a great tradition in the making!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Sounds like a great start to the weekend but is it age catching up to Jim and the French Connection or just out of training. Stefan doesn`t seem to be hanging his head like Nic and Jim today. AStefan`s a little more seasoned than most I guess or better at pacing himself. Look forward to the to more reviews and those promised videos.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

I did spit a bit last night, Danny, but not enough according to Lucie. JimH and JeanFrederick had some stomach problems after the dinner.

Lucie and I met Jim and SFEd for lunch today at Old Ebbitts. Lucie and I had to drink most of the 2002 Delamotte Bl de Bl and 2012 St Innocent Momtazi Special Selection because of Jim's stomach and Ed's 24 hours travel from Uruguay. No problem as we have had lots of practice. However, instead of going to MacArthur's this afternoon, I am opting to rest before the evening's festivities. I am showing my age, but Lucie, sipping on a cappuccino, wanted to go back out until she noticed that it is almost 4 PM.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

With Ed, Jan, and Bill having oysters.
That's me in the foreground, with my serial killer impersonation.
Attachments
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg (136.88 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

You are looking slim, Jim.

stefan you are showing your age as you say, but power naps can work wonders

You guys got off to a flying start last night!

What I enjoyed was that everyone had their own personal take on the wines, there was no group think.

Of course for the information of anyone looking in, we don’t do group think at BWE.

From what I gather 1999 Palmer is still subject to Blanquito’s Law...mine are still in slumber-mode...I consider myself fortunate to own both this and the Margaux, which I think is less of a Vin De Garde but a wine I love to bits anyhow.

Make sure you get your power naps in and I hope your stomach ailments clear up. Looking forward to the next instalment.
stefan

Post by stefan »

A half hour nap rejuvenated me. I feel younger than Warren Buffett. Time to go downstairs for a cup of cap and then off to Schneider's of Capitol Hill before going to dinner.
jal

Post by jal »

Have. A great time guys, sorry we can’t join you, we’re in Japan drinking beer and sake (would much rather drink wine)
stefan wrote:A half hour nap rejuvenated me. I feel younger than Warren Buffett. Time to go downstairs for a cup of cap and then off to Schneider's of Capitol Hill before going to dinner.
:D Best quote of the year, Stefan! Like Warren, you now need to start with a Coke for breakfast.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sipping on a Diet Coke right now as I read that.
Who is going out to march today?
I want to get back to the national gallery, I just got started yesterday before I got the call for oysters.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Peggy and I plan to join the March. One of the entrances is about 7 blocks from the Liaison and Hyatt. We plan to head out sometime between 11 and 12.

Link to info and map
https://marchforourlives.com/march-in-dc/
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I’m at 7th St, a lot of people out here early!
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote:Sipping on a Diet Coke right now as I read that.
Who is going out to march today?
I want to get back to the national gallery, I just got started yesterday before I got the call for oysters.
Good taste the National Gallery older wing is my favorite DC museum by far