Union Des Grands Crus de Bordeaux

PappaDoc

Union Des Grands Crus de Bordeaux

Post by PappaDoc »

Congratulations on the new site! I thought it fitting that my first post here should be about the tasting 0f 2005 & 2006 Bordeaux held in Manhattan this evening.

About 600 people slurped, sipped, and smiled as they tasted some of the best Bordeaux has to offer.
There were no First Growths poured but many stellar Growths and some superb Petite Chateau.

I started by refusing to taste the 06s offered at each Chateaus station as I wanted to try as many 05s before I got pallet fatigue. This worked for a while until I was enticed by some comely Proprieteses to try the 06 versions of thier wines. I must say I was delighted with many 06s', in some cases the 05s were shutting down while the 06s could have been enjoyed with a meal tonight.

What struck me about some of the 06 offerings was the complete balance between mature round tannins and the ripe, but not explosive fruit.

06s that stood out.

Brane Cantenac- Very similar to the 83 from this chateau, the Cabernet comes to the fore with a lasting finish. No question that this wine will last twenty years plus and reward anyone by ten years in the cellar, although this could very well be enjoyed with a steak or rack of Lamb tonight. A true Claret, not some overblown fruit bomb that could have come from anywhere. Breed that produces the pedigree papers in the tasters mouth.

Lagrange (St Julien)- Has that proto typical St Julien style that is a synthesis of a Margaux nose, with a Paulliac structure, with the unabashed exuberance of Creme d' Cassis fruit.

Pontet Canet- Bold, masculan, presentation, that settles into a wine of comtemplation. One that does demand aging, unlike its' 05 sibling that has sooo much fruit you could shove it between a pie crust.

La Lagune- A wine Stefan, Dennis, myself and a few other fans of this estate should lay away a few btls.
Margaux berries galore, with a back wash of liqorice and tobacco.

Lynch Bages- Jimbo, this is back to form and is showing better tonight that the 05. Classic Paulliac lead pencil and cigar box notes. While the 05 is super it seems too tame for Lynch Bages, perhaps its the style of the vintage with that sweet twisler fruit. It seems to me that the 05 is going to sleep. It was much more revealing and showy six months ago.

As to the 05s my favorites of what I tasted were (I had to work this tasting and my chances were limited and some btls were gone before I could try them)

Pontet Canet, Gazin (so Petrus like), Beau Sejour Becot, Angelus (OK, so I'm a slut on occasion ), Grand Mayne (I bought a case for my Grandchildren, and tasted it three times tonight),Lagrange (another purchase for the Grands)Troplong Mondot, Branaire Ducru, Malesco St. Exupery.

I only tasted one Sauternes. 05 La Tour Blanch (creme brulee and toffee) and one dry white 05, and 06 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc. As I've been finding with my limited tasting experience of the dry whites, the 05s are fat with a strong honey component, while the 06s are more minerally and the Sauvignon Blanc comes forward. The 06 whites are more to my style.

Best whishes for the birth of the new BWE site!

PappaD
JimHow

Re: Union Des Grands Crus de Bordeaux

Post by JimHow »

Thank you for the report Agent PappaDoc. I think I'll give the 2006 Lynch a try, I passed on the '05. When can we expect it to hit the shelves?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Great report, Pappa. At my advanced age I have avoided buying much young Bordeaux, but some of these, esp. '6 La Lagune, tempts me.

stefan
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Stefan, the futures price for 2006 La Lagune is $46.97 at PJs, in case you're interested.