TN: 1982 Bordeaux

sdr

TN: 1982 Bordeaux

Post by sdr »

1982 BORDEAUX - Wine Watch Wine Bar, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (4/3/2018)

Earlier this month it was my turn for me to show wines to my local tasting group, Hollywood (Fl.) Wine Society. Having been interested in 1982 Bordeaux ever since release and urged on by Mr. Parker, I have bought, collected and drunk them since release. But I have never tasted more than a few in one setting, so this was an opportunity. I selected a reasonably broad selection, though by no means comprehensive. Most of the wines listed I purchased within the last few years, some were originals. They were double decanted two hours before the tasting and served at a cool 64 degrees.

St.-Estèphe
  • 1982 Château Calon-Ségur - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
    DQ - corked or oxidized. NR (flawed)
  • 1982 Château Cos d'Estournel - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
    This bottle showed lots of St. Estèphe character. It’s very earthy, masculine and a bit severe, unlike some previous bottles which have been more floral. As it aired it softened some. Good balance, fine ‘82 Bordeaux, mature now with a good future. (92 pts.)
Pessac-Léognan
  • 1982 Château Haut-Brion - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    One of the highlights of the ‘82 Bordeaux horizontal and the favorite for three of the guests. “That’s a beauty” I muttered to myself as soon as I smelled it. It’s classical Haut-Brion with lots of soil tones, gently smoky and dark fruity. The only negative was a slightly dry finish. Fully mature without a doubt. Refined and for me the most elegant wine of the series of nineteen wines. (95 pts.)
Pomerol
  • 1982 Château Trotanoy - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    It started out with a rubbery stink which thankfully blew off. The color is fairly advanced. On the palate, leathery and lacking the charm a great Pomerol should have. Where’s the delicious fruit? Not enough flesh on these bones. This wine was extravagantly luscious and flamboyant in the first ten years of life, no vestige of that any more. Many in the group liked it much better than I, though. (90 pts.)
  • 1982 Château L'Evangile - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Nineteen eighty-two L’Évangile never fails to thrill and this bottle was no exception. Beautiful bouquet of flowers and soft plums with palate to match. Elegant and graceful, luscious and sweet, the best Pomerol of the vintage for me, with only Pétrus as a contender. (95 pts.)
  • 1982 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Not as strong as a recent previous bottle from a different source. Not fruity at all, but it’s unusual and interesting, if not what I am seeking from a top Pomerol of a great vintage. The bouquet faded quickly. Still, it grew on me when I came back to it. Good to very good now but drink soon. (91 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Certan de May - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Pretty good, solid, but too dry. This bottle was past the very fine best that ‘82 Certan-de-May was a few years ago. Perhaps there are other bottles are better, this one was a recent purchase. (88 pts.)
St.-Émilion
  • 1982 Château Figeac - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Finally, a very interesting and sound Figeac. The brown rim does not inspire confidence. Strong note of bell pepper and green herbs such as thyme and rosemary, which somehow is not off putting. There’s a beetroot flavor I associate more with certain Burgundies than Bordeaux. Holds up well in the glass. Extra points for individuality. (93 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Canon - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    A good but not exciting example of ‘82 Canon. More vigor than usual and soil tones add interest but too meager and it doesn’t have a lot to say. (90 pts.)
Margaux
  • 1982 Château Margaux - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    An excellent example of ‘82 Margaux, this bottle was powerful, spicy and meaty. Not as rustic as it sometimes can be. Great color, fragrant and long. As it sat in the glass a hint of spring flowers developed. Excellent dark fruit, so refreshing and complex. A beauty. (94 pts.)
St.-Julien
  • 1982 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    I just don’t get Gruaud Larose, at least not the ‘82 version. To me it’s odd and mean, lacking any generosity of aroma or flavor. This bottle had an odd chemical smell to make things worse. Yet many in the group loved it. A chacun son gôut. (86 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Nothing is technically wrong but it fails to excite. A bit anonymous. Medium weight, mature tannins and balanced. Good, but got lost in the series. (89 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    I like it a lot now for its intense fruit of cassis and black currant and its vibrancy. But it’s still in an early secondary phase without much complexity of aroma or flavor. Tannins are ripe and well integrated. Who knows when this will occur since it seems immune to oxidation. Save some for your grandchildren. (94 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    The biggest surprise to the upside in the tasting, this bottle was by far the best specimen of ‘82 Ducru I have ever tasted, from a vintage where most of them are oddly dull and lifeless. Almost purple color let you know this would be a vibrant, almost youthful wine. Stylish and energetic, good acidity, harmonious. Terrific Ducru for now and the foreseeable future. (94 pts.)
Pauillac
  • 1982 Château Mouton Rothschild - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    This bottle, served last in the series of nineteen examples of ‘82 Bordeaux, really divided the group. Most were disappointed, feeling it lacked zest. A minority, including myself, demurred, finding it massive, backward and closed - but very promising. We did not have enough time to see how it would change with air, though. Oaky, enormous, moody and challenging. (96 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    I have woefully underestimated Lynch-Bages in the past and I am happy to report that the ‘82 is fabulous, surely one of the top ten wines of the vintage. Excellent deep ruby color, no orange. Massive aroma of black tar and dirt. On the palate, a tremendous core of ripe fruit, black licorice and truffle. Terrific complexity and endlessly intriguing, even thrilling. Beefy yet somehow no lack of finesse given its fine balance. First growth quality and a relative bargain. (95 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    For me, a good rather than great ‘82 Pichon-Lalande, without the exotic flair of the best bottles. Slightly muddy, missing focus and clarity. Not ripe enough. Steak without the sizzle. But it was the overwhelming favorite of the group in the 19 bottle horizontal of 1982 Bordeaux, so I must have been missing something. (91 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Excellent color. A slight indistinct chemical odor detracts. It’s much better on the palate though. Brawny Pauillac fruit, virile, heavy and emphatic. Not for those looking for elegance but a hearty drink to duel with a hunk of charred meat. (92 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    GPL does it again. A reliably terrific wine from the vintage, the ‘82 is potent, hearty and masculine with lots of earth and porcini mushroom and a long finish. Very Pauillac, very enjoyable. Seems like it will go on for a long time. (93 pts.)
Dessert Wine - Barsac
  • 1971 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
    While there is substantial variability with the ‘71 Climens, this bottle was spectacular. Beautiful limpid orange yellow color. Gorgeous bouquet of orange marmalade, vanilla, spearmint and lemon peel. But what really elevated it was the exquisite balance, just a hint of botrytis and lightly sweet with the perfect amount of acidity to keep it refreshing. Classic Barsac at its best and proof that the best ones can easily approach the half century mark without fading a bit. (97 pts.)
There were more than a few disappointments. As a group, Pomerol was relatively weak and Pauillac strong. That said, there are impressive wines from all districts (other than Sauternes, which I did not include). The most structured, especially Léoville-las-Cases and Mouton, will surely go on for decades. Not included in this tasting were some other high points of the vintage, including La Mission Haut-Brion and Latour. Maybe next time . . .
Posted from CellarTracker

Stu
Last edited by sdr on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Re: TN: 1982 Bordeaux

Post by Blanquito »

Incredible. Thanks for sharing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Too bad about the Calon Segur, I still remember a bottle I had with AKR, Gio and PappaDoc down in Chinatown years ago, it was a stunner.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Wow that's a very big panel tasting
KWP

Post by KWP »

Two surprises, the under performing Pichon Lalande, and the over performing Ducru Beaucaillou.

Thanks for sharing notes.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow Stuart, quite the tour de force!

1982 Haut Brion and Mouton were the first first growths I purchased. Sadly all drunk up. Haut Brion is my favorite FG and I’ve yet to have a disappointing bottle of the 82. The Mouton sounded much more shy than the bottle you brought to DC, which was a stunner.

Count me among those who flip over Gruauds from the 80s. I loved the 82 you served at BWE Miami. I hadn’t had it since then until the bottle Nic brought to DC last month. Another great bottle.

The 82 Pichon Lalande has knocked my socks off in the past but I wonder if a significant percentage of the bottles are now on the downslope. Unlike LLC which may not get to that tertiary complexity nirvana in my lifetime. Will it ever?

I’ve had outstanding and just ok bottles of 1982 Ducru and GPL. Glad both of yours showed well.

A shame about the Calon-Ségur but one dud out of 20 from that era doesn’t seem terribly out of line.

Thanks for sharing.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Any of these wines could easily be a star of a dinner. The last time I drank 1982 Canon it was stunning, but alongside l'Evangile I can see that it might come up short. 1982 Haut-Brion and Mouton are two of my favorites.

Thanks for the great notes and report.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the notes Stuart.

I like the way you just tell it how you find it, without in the slightest being hostage to pre-conceived notions over how these wines should rank.

Of course at this age there are only good bottles...

But nice to see the frustratingly inconsistent Ducru come up trumps. Some PLLs I have tried have been tired.

Hopefully we will be drinking a few 1982s on Friday.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Always interesting notes. Thanks!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A few more thoughts... most of my experiences with the great wines of the 82 vintage have come from a handful of memorable BWE nights-- conventions, offlines in NYC and elsewhere, a visit to S. Florida, etc...

I've had the 82 Haut Brion once, during my hajj to Ft. Lauderdale in 2016 , and it was one of a small handful of the best wines I've had the good fortune to enjoy. I concur, this wine is fully mature and the bottle you shared with me was in brilliant form.

I have not had many 82 Pomerols (though I had a few sips of the Certan de May and l'Evangile in SF 2017), but why am I not surprised that l'Evangile showed brilliantly? I've come around to the opinion that is it truly one of the world's greatest wines.

The 82 Figeac is a stranger to me, but the 82 Canon is an old friend. Good bottles of the 82 Canon are sensational (sounds like your bottle was off?), but it's a wine that should be enjoyed sooner than later. I'll bring one Ft Lauderdale the next time I'm in town.

Another one of the great wines I've ever tried was the 82 Chateau Margaux, which Ian A. generously brought to a 30 year retrospective of the 82 vintage. I was blown away by that wine that night (I think it was the consensus WOTN), but it showed amazingly young and primary. Sounds like it has opened up a lot in the last 6 years.

I've only had the 82 Gruaud once, I brought it the same night as Ian's 82 Margaux. I am a huge fan of the 83, 85, 86 and 88 Gruauds, but oddly that night the 82 didn't speak to me (it came in second in the WOTN voting, so most everyone else disagreed). I'll get a second chance with it this Friday in London! I've also had the 82 L. Poyferre one time, at an NYC offline, and it was sensational that night. Not surprised about the primordial state of the 82 LLC, those always seem to be the youngest wine at any retrospective.

I really enjoyed the 82 Ducru Beaucaillou when you opened it with the 82 Haut Brion (and 82 Lafleur), Stuart, but it sounds like you had a fresher, better bottle this time.

I don't think I've ever had the 82 Lynch Bages, but your bottle sounds epic. The 80s was a magical decade for so many Chateau, and I'd put Lynch Bages right up there with the best. I've had the 81, 83, 85, 86, 88, 89 and the 90, and all have been at least superb. I'll look for the 82 now as well.

I've had the 71 Climens once, a few years ago, after Chris Bublitz gifted me a pristine 750ml of this wine ('71 being my birth year) when he came to a tasting I organized in Denver. I opened it a few months later with my local wine buddies and every one of us called it a world class sticky, amongst the greatest dessert wines we'd ever had. But it's not a Barsac for those with a big sweet tooth, at least at this age.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks sdr, for the horizontal tasting of 1982.

From that tasting, all I can note, is that the 1982 are becoming more and more risky? Even from good sourcing like yours, the age of these wine make it more and more "there are only great bottles".

I drank a good amont of 1982 in BWE event (but surely less than you), but I did had mostly excellent to great 1982. Mouton, Haut Brion, Évangile, Lafleur, Gruaud and Pichon Lalande among the best. Lynch Bages, Figeac, LLC and Margaux following not too far.

Nic
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Thanks for sharing those notes, Stuart. That is an impressive line-up. As others have observed, it looks like some of the wines from that vintage are showing signs of tiring; and it likely has a lot to do with how they have been stored for the last 30+ years. I had the 1982 Gruaud Larose maybe three years ago, and I was very impressed with that bottle - just a little bit of funk that blew off and then really dense and deep fruit.

Just last night at a dinner we had 1982 Cheval Blanc and 1982 Palmer. The Cheval Blanc was the better of the two when they were first poured, though it did not live up to what I would have expected. And to my disappointment, it really did not evolve and improve in the glass. The Palmer, in contrast, started out kind of light and almost "shrill." But after about 30 minutes, it opened up beautifully, and was an absolute pleasure to sniff and sip. Unfortunately, we had only enough of the Palmer for one smallish pour per person.

It is still a thrill to have an opportunity to taste such wines. I was back in Chicago last night for my former wine tasting club's annual wine dinner. Sadly, since I'm no longer in Chicago, those tasting opportunities will probably be fewer and far between.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Final thoughts on ‘82 Bordeaux.

Those in this tasting:
I was surprised how many, such as Certan-de-May, Trotanoy and Pichon-Lalande, were disappointing. Hard to say if storage was at fault for those I acquired recently or if they are getting tired from age.

Those not in this tasting:
Latour is the wine of the vintage, I have rated it 100 twice, including the bottle with Danny in February. LMHB is probably second, fantastically lively and classical. Pétrus used to be magnificent, now turning vegetal though. Lafite is a puzzle, probably just in an awkward stage. Cheval Blanc is good but light. Lafleur used to be sensational, not so sure any more. Beychevelle is not very good.

Stu
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We are giving a few a run out tomorrow night. One of our attendees is firmly of the view that most 1982s are past their best and have become ‘prosaic’ - but he is more of a burgundy guy and he would say that. I do suspect that a fair few at least won’t get any better and may need drinking. We’ll see what tomorrow delivers.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Some of my favorite 1982s over the years:

GPL
Calon Segur
Lagrange
Beychevelle
Talbot
La Dominique
Lynch Bages
Sociando Mallet
Branaire Ducru
Leoville Barton
Figeac
Pichon Lalande
Gruaud Larose
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve had the 82 Beychevelle 6-7 times in the last 3 years, some bottles have been really outstanding (94 even 95 pts in my system), some excellent, and some merely good. These were all sourced on the secondary market but each bottle had fills well into the neck.

An 82 I definitely think was better 8-10 years ago is the La Lagune— well stored bottles are still excellent but even those have lost a step or two in my experience.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Thanks, Stuart, for posting your notes on this very impressive tasting.

Some of the results of the tasting are a little surprising to me - I have had particularly good luck with some of the disappointments. Recent bottles of 1982 Trotanoy (95), Certan de May (96) and Pichon Lalande (97) have all been outstanding with Canon (93-95) ranging from very good to outstanding. Only dog for me has been a lot of bad bottles of Calon Segur.

Just before the convention, enjoyed very nice bottles of 1982 Beychevelle (94) and La Lagune (92).

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've had the 1982 Figeac about 4 times over the years, most recently last month at the DC convention.
It is one of my top 10 greatest wines, and last month did not disappoint.