TN: 2005 Marquis Philips Shiraz 9 (Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale

DavidG

TN: 2005 Marquis Philips Shiraz 9 (Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale

Post by DavidG »

• 2005 Marquis Philips Shiraz 9 - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale (4/13/2009)
    Purple/black color, extremely forward nose, rich fruit, blueberry, blackberry, oaky, a bit of heat, massive concentration with sweet lush fruit and plenty of oak on the palate, long finish. An almost punishingly massive uncomplicated wine that's very pleasurable for the first glass only. On day two the oak subsides and the wine is more restrained. I'm able to enjoy a couple of glasses. Great cocktail wine but not something to match with delicate or complicated food.
Posted from CellarTracker
Claudius

Re: TN: 2005 Marquis Philips Shiraz 9 (Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale

Post by Claudius »

David,
You need a big steak or similar to go with this.
Plesae note that this wine will develop for many years and the baby fat will be supplanted with complexity.
I would not drink an 05 latour either!
DavidG

Re: TN: 2005 Marquis Philips Shiraz 9 (Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale

Post by DavidG »

An earlier bottle was OK with a big grilled steak. I wouldn't have pegged this one to develop complexity, but then I'm less familiar with Oz Shiraz than say Bdx or CduP. I will hold my remaining bottle for... how long would you recommend?
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

It depends on the style you like.
If you want that big, potent ripe fruit character, licorice, blackberry et al, drink over the next few years.
If you leave it to 2015-18, it will mature, the fruit becoming less sweet, more spicy, a bit leathery and tarry. Tannins will be present but start to soften.
At 20 years, the leather, earth, tar will prevail and the fruit will be subtle and softer.

My personal view is to drink at 10 years from bottling. So 2015-18 is reasonable.

My main point is that these wines definitely keep.
It is that they considerably change and the style is often appreciated young.
I find they are TOO big young and like more complexity from ageing.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like 2015-2018 would be the sweet spot for what I'm looking for. Not that I didn't enjoy it as a young bruiser.
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

There is no problem drinking it young - if that is the style you like.
It is a bit like drinking Burgundy young - it is nice in its own way but you know it will change with age.

I have SA shiraz wines going back to the eighties and most are drinking well know in a differnt style to to young stuff.
One good aspect of these wiens is that with a few exceptions (Grange is a good example) they are quite drinkable young if you can handle the tannins and density of sweet fruit. I find it just a bit cloying these days - good for a taste though I like 10 years' age a bit more.

The 98 and 99 McLaren and barossa shirazes are now showing well - a few only need time.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I bought a bunch of Shiraz in the 90's and wasn't impressed with how many of them were developing, so I've been off them lately except for enjoyment in their youth. Grange and HOG age just fine, and some older Dead Arms have been good, but a bunch of '98s just didn't seem to be integrating the fruit and wood that well. Mostly purchased based on huge Parker scores and retailer hype. Guess I need to be more selective.
Claudius

Post by Claudius »

David
My personal view was that 98 was over-rated.
It is a very good vintage but pushing the sweetness a bit much.
I rate 96 and 2002 a lot higher due o the fine tannins and less overtly sweet nature.
With due respect to parker, I never take any notice of his notes anyway.
It is also worth noting that if you are buyng $20 Aust wines, they age like $20 Californian wines.
Not many are meant to last 20 years.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well, it was the '98s that put me off. Though I don't think many were $20 wines. Not after the Wine Advocate hype, anyway... One that was particulary exciting as a primary youthful beast but didn't seem to go anywhere was the '98 Fox Creek Reserve Shiraz. Now I suppose you are going to tell me I drank it too soon.. If so, guess I'll just chalk it up to ignorance on my part. OTOH, I thought the Noon Eclipse and Reserve Shiraz from '98 continued to deliver the goods.