2007 Montrose uncorked

jckba

2007 Montrose uncorked

Post by jckba »

So with Stefan mentioning 2007 Bordeaux recently in the ‘So what have you bought lately?’ thread, I decided to give the 2007 Montrose another spin (identical to previous note on 11/25/2017 on Cellar Tracker) as I had picked up a case of this in 2010 for $518 cost through Frederick Wildman.

Decanted for a half hour and the nose was open from the get go with black currants, cedar, cigar, earth and stone notes that gave way to a plush, polished, medium bodied, red fruited and tobacco leaf driven palate that lingers ever so pleasantly on the finish. A definite surprise given the context of the vintage and a textbook claret. 93 points
Attachments
2007montrose.jpeg
2007montrose.jpeg (125.06 KiB) Viewed 731 times
JimHow

Re: 2007 Montrose uncorked

Post by JimHow »

I'm not surprised at its performance, JC, these so-called off vintages still provide quality.
(I for one liked the 2013 La Lagune.)
Now if we can just figure out how to make your pictures not appear sideways....
marcs

Post by marcs »

Nice price! It's twice that on the market now.

It appears that after the run of good vintages the days of sub-$100 Montrose are over, it's following in the footsteps of Pichon Baron, Lynch Bages, etc.

My bet is that the next to join the over-$100 club will be Leoville Barton, although so far they have been admirably reluctant to jack their prices.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I can get 2012s locally for $85 right now which looks like a better choice than '11s at $110. The '14 looks to be more-or-less reasonably priced around $125.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Such a great price for Montrose is unlikely to be repeated in the foreseeable future. $85 for the 2012 is looking better all the time.

Incidentally, we had a nice 2012 last night while watching (sob) the Rockets lose to the Warriors--du Glana. It was pretty clear that we would run out of wine before we leave LA and I also wanted some cheaper Bordeaux for occasions like last night (when did I start to think about $50 Bdx as being "cheaper"?) and picked up one at K&L Hollywood. It is a solid wine that supports the BD's contention that 2012 Medoc is both good and in a good spot for current drinking.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

stefan wrote:Such a great price for Montrose is unlikely to be repeated in the foreseeable future. $85 for the 2012 is looking better all the time.

Incidentally, we had a nice 2012 last night while watching (sob) the Rockets lose to the Warriors--du Glana. It was pretty clear that we would run out of wine before we leave LA and I also wanted some cheaper Bordeaux for occasions like last night (when did I start to think about $50 Bdx as being "cheaper"?) and picked up one at K&L Hollywood. It is a solid wine that supports the BD's contention that 2012 Medoc is both good and in a good spot for current drinking.
Well that does it. I'm getting one! :idea:
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Montrose is my favorite St Estephe...Please don't remind me about 12 Montrose...2012 being my son's birth year, I snagged a few for $72/per...I am kicking myself for not getting more at that price...