Good news on interstate wine sales - New Hampshire

JCNorthway

Re: Good news on interstate wine sales - New Hampshire

Post by JCNorthway »

Glad that seems to working in favor of wine consumers in New Hampshire. But it is not just an issue in states where the government operates the stores. In many other states, including the last two I've lived in, the big distributors have lobbied heavily and spent a lot of money to convince legislatures that they need to ban out of state sales. The prevailing argument is that this will prevent underage young people from ordering wine out of state for when they want to party.
johnz

Post by johnz »

What's most unfortunate is that the wholesalers and states have put the pressure on Fed Ex and UPS. Only some retailers still dare to ship to private customers except for those in a4 States, most of them in the Western US. I can't get wine shipped to me anymore from out of State retailers, and I fear Auction houses are next -- the auction winnings I received this Spring had camouflaged packaging.

--Gary Rust
johnz

Post by johnz »

Oops -- That's 14 States I think that can take out of state retailer wine -- Oregon, Nevada, Wyoming, Nebraska, virginia, now New Hampshire I think, Louisiana, Alaska, a few others. Most of us will be stuck with sourcing wines from local sources only, and that largely sucks here in the Twin Cities, MN. It's going to put plenty of retailers who have nation-wide and world-wide clients out of business.

--Gary
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JCNorthway wrote:The prevailing argument is that this will prevent underage young people from ordering wine out of state for when they want to party.
That’s the prevailing excuse anyway. As an argument it doesn’t hold water. The prevailing arguments are campaign contributions.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

...ah yes, the old "underage wine drinkers with their parents' credit card" argument.
Exactly what do the wholesaler fascists argue when we point out that all we need is an adult signature upon delivery to solve that issue?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Well put, David.