2014 Les Carmes Haut-Brion, Pessac Leognan, Bordeaux

KWP

2014 Les Carmes Haut-Brion, Pessac Leognan, Bordeaux

Post by KWP »

2014 Les Carmes Haut-Brion to give a shot. Popped and poured in decanter for 3 hours after assuring it wasn't flawed. Has a nose of macerated blackberry, black cherry, plum, smoke, graphite, flowers and a faint hint of savory herbs in the background. Very primary, with lots of purple fruits and florals, good acidity, and just a touch of heat. Straddles the line between glossy and classic very well as it definitely has structure, fruit and acid to age well. I'll buy a couple more to see how they, go, but I can't help but wish for a wine with 54% Cab Franc to show a little bit more Franc-ness.
AlexR

Re: 2014 Les Carmes Haut-Brion, Pessac Leognan, Bordeaux

Post by AlexR »

I used to know this wine very well because I worked for the firm that sold it in exclusivity.

The profile has changed out of all recognition - but not necessarily for the worse.

I see today's CHB as a little atypical, but very good. I think this will be one to watch. It showed well in 2017.

All the best,
Alex R.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I visited that nice Chateau with AlexR in 2004. We had the 2003 there. In the last years, i tried one or two other vintages, but not a common wines here. I will receive some 2015 this fall.

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

I think CHB shows there cab-franciness given time. We have been finishing off a bunch of 90's efforts in the last year or so. It's a favorite estate of mine.
tiesface

Post by tiesface »

I loved the 2014 when I had it last month. Excited about the 2015s and 2016s
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

I can see posters here haven't read my impressions from Bx concerning LCHB the recent years.

New technical director and winemaker has arrived in 2012 - Guillaume Pouthier from Chapouthier in Rhone. He is so enthusiastic and talented.

He has changed a lot at LCHB. More freshness, fruitness and smoothness. More silky texture.

He's the one who introduced whole bunches during maceration in Bx.

Alex is right, 2017 is excellent. However, 2016 is a stunner with 2015 in its heels

I love this property.