Im Officially Done

dstgolf

Im Officially Done

Post by dstgolf »

After seeing this years 2017 futures release pricing from the SAQ I'm done. Enough in the cellar and enjoying much better value for short term drinking in Rioja and other regions in Spain.

These prices are crazy.

https://www.saq.com/content/SAQ/en/prod ... Vente_2-P5
Danny
JimHow

Re: Im Officially Done

Post by JimHow »

Ha!! That’s amazing Danny, I swear I said the exact thing to myself yesterday.
I’m done. Too expensive. I’m going to be 60 this fall.
I’m rounding out my cellar with 2014, 2015, and 2016.
2017 is just too expensive.
No regrets. That’s just life. It’s been a good run.
marcs

Post by marcs »

These prices look about 30% above US prices even after exchange rate adjustment...is it always like that?

2016 is my last new vintage as well and I'm firm about that. I'm 50 years old and Bordeaux from a good vintage takes a solid 20 years to mature. The last vintage I really went long on was 2014, where the price/quality ratios were just irresistible. I bought less than two cases combined of 2015 and 2016. And no more new vintages. Really, I don't need new wines at all, but if I do buy I will backfill
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

My last vintage for BDX was 2005 and I'm only 54. Too much BDX as a % of my cellar. Still have a lot to drink left ;)

SF Ed
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Me too Danny. An ordinary vintage, with frost, at these prices? Angélus over 650$, equal to Rousseau Chambertin?

Can you imagine the prices for the next good vintage? Excellent vintage? Great vintage?

I feel like with DJT: completely forgotten, spit in my face, a trusted friend that leave me for a richer friend...

"Too much popularity and money lead to insanity".

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve really scaled back since the 09 vintage— I’ve got 1.5 cases of 2010, and 8 bottles of 2015. That’s it. I might eventually get some 2016s for my daughter’s birth year but only after they’ve arrived on the shelf. But young Bordeaux is passé. Backfill, baby, backfill.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm so mad after Bordeaux Chateaux. Please AlexR, Great Bordeaux Freak, or anybody else that go to Bordeaux, let them know.

A real freak show these 2017.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Welcome to the club, Danny.
I've been officially done every year since 2009.
It's sticking this time.
I’ve got too much Bordeaux and I’m too old.
sdr

Post by sdr »

My last Bordeaux vintage I bought on release was 1990.

But the urge to acquire has not been tamed.

So I only backfill. Way fewer bottles - but much higher cost per bottle.

I find backfilling more fun than new release. Like hunting rare game, only a few around at a time and you have to compete with others for the good stuff. Mostly auctions. Percentage of bad bottles not much worse than fresh off the boat.

Stu
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Stuart, your description of hunting for good bottles to backfill sounds more appealing now that I’m done buying young wines.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The older vintages market is bad here. i tried a few auctions, to get some uninteresting Bordeaux from my birthyear (1974), but never success to get one. I was offering more money than it will ever worth, and did not get it anyway. I don't understand the logic of others, to offer too much for bad vintages wines. So imagine how much for a good vintage. Not an option here.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Agree Nic. The auction market died locally more than a decade ago. Unlike the USA where they have a number of online wine auction sites like winebid we were stuck with charity auctions which were great for quite some time but now I don't think there is a single one left in the city when there used to be at least one a month in the 90s and early 2000s. The government clamped down on them because the valuations/tax receipts given to the donors were crazy and many people that I know just ended up rebuying their own wines getting a tax write off worth more than the repurchase price and the cycle continued. It was quite a scam and as a legit buyer you knew these guys were in the crowd pushing the prices skyward. If you knew your wines though the mid range stuff was always a good deal. God I saw a 45 Mouton recycled more than a dozen times over a couple of years. The valuation was given at 45k with a 52% tax bracket (do the math) and buyer rebuys his own wine for 10-20k he's making a handy profit from this one bottle by flipping it multiple times a year. This one guy would routinely have about 100 bottles of his own wine donated at every charity auction in town for years just flipping and making a killing. An old orthopedics surgeon friend of mine had a fabulous cellar and donated 2500 bottles to our hospital and got a tax receipt for $2.5 million of which he estimated his cost over the years was about 100-150k generating over a million dollars extra in his retirement fund!!! I can't say that I blame the govt for shutting down the scam but it has been a blow for the wine collector as there is no way here to back fill like you can in the USA at least for now until DJT puts huge tariffs on the secondary market!!
Danny