TN: 1961 Bordeaux: Dead or Alive?

sdr

TN: 1961 Bordeaux: Dead or Alive?

Post by sdr »

1961 BORDEAUX: DEAD OR ALIVE? - Plantation, Florida (5/25/2018)

It’s not every day (or every year) I get to taste a gaggle of 1961 Bordeaux so I was delighted to have this opportunity. I also met a sometime contributor to BWE for the first time who flew in to sunny South Florida for the occasion, although he requested I keep his name anonymous. To make the evening even more fun, I inserted a blind tasting of two bottles of ‘61 Latour, one purchased many years ago and presumably legitimate and another purchased recently at a greatly reduced price which was suspected to be fake from label irregularities, but not definitively.
  • 1961 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    This bottle looked totally legitimate and in good condition, too. At first, very disappointing though, too acidic and lacking freshness, too simple, too tired, too old, not close to what the best bottles can be. But like a Phoenix, it gradually arise from the dead to display amazing depth and complexity. Lots of leather, ash, minerals, beyond fruit, although never displaying the sweetness of the greatest old Bordeaux. Still, remarkable and deeply satisfying, even thrilling. What a ride. (94 pts.)
  • 1961 Château Latour Grand Vin - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    This bottle was sold to me recently at a reduced price because the merchant thought it might be fake. Indeed, there were problems with the label and the capsule, especially noted was the vintage in black font instead of red. When opened though, it was definite at a minimum that the capsule and cork (labeled Latour 1961) were very old. First impression was that the wine was correct for Bordeaux of this age, including aroma, color and taste. Unfortunately it quickly became apparent after a brief exposure to air it was heavily oxidized, all prunes and raisins, to the point that it was impossible to assess. Frustrating and disappointing since I will never know what it was. NR (flawed)
  • 1961 Château La Gaffelière Naudes - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    From the era when La Gaffelière still had the word Naudes appended to it, this bottle, sourced from WineBid recently, was in good shape and interesting in an academic way but also an enjoyable drink. Distinctive, a little astringent, intriguing and intricate, it rewards patience and study. As it breathed, it became softer, more elegant and smoother. Very nice indeed. (91 pts.)
  • 1961 Vieux Château Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Lovely wine, still lively and fragrant with the natural sweetness of well preserved old Bordeaux. A hint of mint adds complexity. Outstanding. (93 pts.)
  • 1961 Château Pichon-Longueville Baron - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    The most successful of the sextet of ‘61 Bordeaux we had on this special night, which the owner attributed to its superb provenance from an LA collector who purchased it on release. Seemingly decades younger than its true age, deep ruby, very lively, loads of blackberry and cassis. But no young Pichon-Baron could ever have this degree of complexity. Fascinating combination of old and young, what you hope to find but rarely do. (97 pts.)
  • 1961 Château Ausone - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    It started off on a low note, too much acetone and too sour and dry. Yet like many old Bordeaux it freshens up with air and rebalances itself. Still, not as impressive as the other ‘61s that night, from an era where Ausone was not yet back on form to the glory days of the forties and fifties or the twenty-first century. (89 pts.)
  • 1975 Château d'Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Ho hum, another great Yquem. This bottle displayed a gorgeous blend of the full on, massive style (eg., ‘59, ‘71) and the more nuanced middle weight style (eg., ‘67, ‘01). Of course it’s rich and luscious with all the expected tangerine, cinnamon, vanilla and crème brûlée you’d expect. But somehow it remains poised and elegant. Fabulous - again. (97 pts.)
Other than the disappointing Ausone, the wines showed quite well. Of course if you’re looking for bright bold fruit you will not find it, but if you can appreciate Bordeaux in its tertiary phase, you will find much to appreciate and enjoy.
Last edited by sdr on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimHow

Re: TN: 1961 Bordeaux: Dead or Alive?

Post by JimHow »

Great stuff, sdr.
But, eh, the self-important dude you drank with ain't no true BWEer if he is so important to keep his identity secret from our nearly two decade old wine site, the greatest wine web site in the world. There ain't no secrets here, among friends. He must be a pretty big deal if we're not allowed to know who he is.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I’ll bet it was Nicola, he’s pretty stuffy like that.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very interesting notes Stuart.

I had a 1961 once, generosity of MichaelP, the Chateau Canon La Gaffelière, that was excellent.

I like every comments about the great Yquem, and that 1975 sounds fabulous.

Nic

P.S. wish i could have been there, but I was not Jim.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Amazing stuff, Stu. Keep drinking well in South Florida.

PS. I keep flying through FLL but never with enough time for an overnight layover. That said, we should organize an Ft. Lauderdale offline in early Dec (when I next have a good window of free time)! Who’s in?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Wow, well done! How long did it take for the good bottle of Latour to open up?
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Sounds like fun!

My limited experience is that 1961 is like 1982 - really awesome but so ripe that only the top ones are still great and they probably would have been better in their youth.

I suspect a lot of 1959s are going to be better than 1961s at this point, the same way right now I might like 1986s more than 1982s (e.g. Mouton at DC BWE this spring).

But I like tannins, so YMMV.

SF Ed
AKR

Post by AKR »

Quite the lineup !
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Another amazing night in south Florida that has become routine with SDR. We feel blessed to have shared a few great wines with him and his lovely wife over the years. A few of the great memories include a 61 and 59 Latour along the way and to have this gaggle of 61s together is a true wine geeks dream. Disappointed that we didn't get an invite in the true spirit of BWE but with the boycott on I'm afraid we'll have to live vicariously through the site. Thanks for taking the time to share Stu and hope that all is well in FLL. :D
Danny
sdr

Post by sdr »

Well, December is a fine time to visit South Florida, guaranteed no snowstorms and plenty of Bordeaux on tap, so come on down, you’re all welcome, even Danny if he can tear himself away from reading all those X-rated pictures he seems to like :roll: :oops: .

The (good) Latour took about 3 hours to open up and was still improving at hour five when we drained it.

I’m not sure if the ‘59 vintage is showing better than ‘61 but this tasting is making me think the younger vintage has the edge.

Yquem is the most consistent wine in Bordeaux, tastes great young or old, never dies, usually overshadows everything else that came before it on any evening.

I hear a rumor another ‘61 Bordeaux tasting is in the future, but who knows?

Stu