Many Petit Chateau 2012s are drinking well now.

Racer Chris

Many Petit Chateau 2012s are drinking well now.

Post by Racer Chris »

I've been enjoying quite a few 2012s already, 22 bottles this year in fact.
Working backwards from most recent -

Chateau d'Arvigny - one of my under $15 favorites. I bought 2 1/2 cases of this vintage. Last night I finished my 4th bottle so far this year.
A composite of my tasting notes:
Lots of sediment in the bottle.
Medium full bodied. 60% Cabernet, 40% Merlot, 13% abv.
Black cherry, cassis, and a touch of cranberry.
Well balanced with good acidity, dusty drying yet smooth tannins, and a hint of heat on the finish.
Still youthful but drinking well now.
Very nice. 88-89

Chateau Senejac - I bought 3 of these for just over $20, should have bought a few more before it disappeared.
Well integrated but still young. Little change with a few days in the cooler after opening.
Could use 2-3 more years of cellar time. 89

Chateau Larose-Trintaudon - I've enjoyed 2006, '07, 09, '10, '11 and now the 2012 which is the current vintage on store shelves. I've paid between $18-21 across all those vintages.
Having only drank two bottles of this vintage so far, I'm a fan. Tuesday I told my supplier that I would like another case after clearing the last 4 bottles off his shelf.
Rich dark fruit ahead of subtle oak and smooth tannins.
Drinking well already but will continue to improve.
Very enjoyable and better than expected.
Great QPR. 89-90

Chateau Smith Haut Lafitte Le Petit - This exhibits good Pessac-Leognan character. I've bought 7 bottles at Total Wine with the intent of drinking them young. On sale cost between $27-30.
April - Black fruits with a hint of cedar and spices on the nose.
Medium bodied, rich, with a hint of glycerine.
Cherries, some plum, and a bit of cassis on the palate.
Some drying tannins, and a little heat on the finish.
Drinking well now. 90
May - Black fruit and cedar on the nose.
Black cherry and blackberry on the palate with well integrated smoky oak.
The cedar and oak character receded a bit on day two. 90
June - Dark fruits and spicy oak on the palate.
Rich and well balanced.
Very nice. 90

Chateau Garraud - I don't buy a lot of right bank wines, generally preferring Cab based left bankers. Price for this at Total Wine is reasonable around $19 when on sale.
Blackberries/cherries, medium tannins, medium acidity.
Still youthful.
Enjoyed with steak and grilled veggies. 89

Chateau Greysac - I've enjoyed the 2011. The first 2012 I had last year wasn't very good, but a year later it seems to be coming around. My cost $17.
Cedar, dark fruit, and a hint of coffee on the nose.
Dark fruit, with smooth tannins, a little chocolate, and moderate acidity on the palate.
Better than my first bottle, much better balanced. 87

Chateau La Papeterie - I bought one on sale for $15 at Total Wine earlier this month.
A bit of burnt rubber on opening was gone by the second glass.
Transparent ruby red color.
Red fruit. A bit tart.
Decent, but not complex.
Modest tannins, short finish. 87

Chateau Pierre de Montignac - A staple at Total Wine. I buy quite a bit of this when it goes on sale, 15 bottles of 2012. (The 2010s are in a good place right now.)
4 bottles I drank last year were all enjoyable (88 pts), but the one I drank recently wasn't so good:
I suspect this bottle was flawed.
Lots of sediment.
The first glass had a mild corked taste but I didn't notice anything unusual on the nose.
Bottle frozen, then thawed a few days later and decanted.
Subdued fruit, unbalanced, with above average acidity.
It never softened, although the tannins did kick in after a while.

Reserve de la Comtesse - I didn't write much of a note but I did enjoy the wine. Not the best QPR at $36 though.
The fruit takes a back seat to the tannins at this point.
Suggest waiting a couple more years before opening another one. 90

Chateau Haut-Bergey - 9 purchased on sale for $17 ea. 5 down, 4 to go.
My best bottle of this to date.
On opening I wasn't too excited, having a couple glasses over the course of an hour or so. The smoky oak and plumminess stood out, and it seemed a bit low on acidity.
I didn't really expect the amount of development shown on day two.
However, it turned into a moderately complex and well balanced wine, with black cherry, a bit of cassis and plum, with no overt oakiness, smooth tannins, and sufficient acidity to carry it through. The finish was short and pleasant. 90

Les Hauts de Larrivet Haut Brion - I bought two at $22.50. Was ok but I probably won't buy more.
March - Light bodied, with cherry and blueberry on the palate.
Smooth tannins. Medium acidity.
This seemed more advanced than I expected for a 2012.
May - Was nice after a half hour decant, seemed to recede a bit and then came back after 1 1/2 hours. 89

Chateau Cantenac Brown - The only Classified Growth 2012 I've opened. A fair price at $45
March - Very smooth. Pleasing nose. Subtly complex dark fruit profile on the palate.
Fine yet somewhat drying tannins.
No excitement but really pleasing anyway. Decant for at least 2 hours. 91

Merryvale Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley - I don't only drink Bordeaux. :D
No tasting note. A bit pricey at $62, but an excellent Cabernet. 92 points.

Chateau de Chantegrive Graves - $21
Modest nose of fruit and mineral. Similar on the palate, with good acidity and manageable tannins.
Opened up nicely with a 2 hour decant. 89

Chateau de la Huste - another Total Wine Staple, bought on sale when they first opened locally for $15.50. I liked this more when very young. Hopefully it will come around with a bit of age.
All I wrote after drinking this bottle was: Still improves after a lengthy decant.

Chateau Les Vieilles Pierres - A low priced Lussac-St Emilion ($13.55). I like the 2010 and 2011. I have 5 more of the 2012, hopeful they will show better with more age.
This note is from a bottle consumed last year: Much nicer than my first bottle, and reminiscent of previous vintages.
On the nose, plum and cassis with a hint of (burnt) rubber.
On the palate, dark fruit, some spice, a hint of sous bois.
Medium acidity, medium tannins.
Medium short finish with a hint of alcohol.
Last edited by Racer Chris on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Claret

Re: Many Petit Chateau 2012s are drinking well now.

Post by Claret »

I would add Poujeaux
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer, if you could come visit K&L, you would think you'd died and gone to heaven. Massive bdx inventory, and it turns over crazy fast, so there's always new/cool things to buy. e.g. I just picked up a bottle of 2014 La Cabanne from them yest for $21 + punitive CA tax. That's hardly anymore than I used to pay 20 years ago for their wines. I hope they are smoother now, but I picked it up after seeing your allusion to the 2000. Also if you could figure out a way to get shipping, somewhere in the Northeast, historically on July 14, Winex has a once a year sale on French wine, for 10% off. Combined with sharp pricing, huge differentiated inventory, it's actually worth clicking into the website ahead of time, since stuff sells out quickly on that day. They have tons of smaller BDX, Rhones, and southern French wines at any time.

Nice update on Greysac. That really seems well geared up Americans, but its harder to find out west. Its lovely in ripe years but I'd observe its way more merlot than its AOC might suggest.

I'm trying to think of which 12's I've tasted ... de Chambrun, Haut Bergey, Barde Haut, Rauzan Segla, Brane Cantenac ... no classic Medocs yet. Very good quality in that sliver of a sample.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote:Racer, if you could come visit K&L, you would think you'd died and gone to heaven.
I only look within a 200 mile radius of my zip code, lest I get depressed with my limited selection.
Plus I'm already out of space to store more wine. (he says with 16 bottles just received)
And if I can't get it shipped to me for $3/bottle or less, overnight, I don't buy - except a couple of for west coast wineries.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Claret wrote:I would add Poujeaux
You've had the 2012 this year? Post a tasting note.
I drank my one bottle of 2011 - too soon - in October last year.
I only have one bottle of the 2010 which I'll keep for a few years more.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote:I'm trying to think of which 12's I've tasted ... de Chambrun, Haut Bergey, Barde Haut, Rauzan Segla, Brane Cantenac ... no classic Medocs yet. Very good quality in that sliver of a sample.
I've got 4 bottles of 2012 Rauzan Segla. Maybe it's time to open one. :idea:
William P

Post by William P »

RC I would not be surprised if the Ruazan Segla closed a bit. Still upon it release it was a beautiful wine. I also have 4 bottles. I'll give it another five before I sample.

Arv, didn't we have a 2012 Cantenac Brown at Bandera's two years ago. I've had it and it was fairly price back then.

Bill
Claret

Post by Claret »

Racer Chris wrote:
Claret wrote:I would add Poujeaux
You've had the 2012 this year? Post a tasting note.
Yes this year. Pretty typical Poujeaux as I recall older vintages tasting. A nice bottle.
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

William P wrote:RC I would not be surprised if the Ruazan Segla closed a bit. Still upon it release it was a beautiful wine. I also have 4 bottles. I'll give it another five before I sample.

Arv, didn't we have a 2012 Cantenac Brown at Bandera's two years ago. I've had it and it was fairly price back then.

Bill
I think you are right. All these Cantenac's confuse me.

Poor Bandera lost their lease, or had some dispute with their landlord, and seems to be relocating.

(I think they are pissed about all the other restaurants that are now in that complex, though)