Very Educational Margaux Tasting

dstgolf

Very Educational Margaux Tasting

Post by dstgolf »

Last Friday we gathered for our annual golf, wine tasting and dinner with my longstanding buddies presenting the trophy for the 18th time. Golf was fun but the Margaux tasting followed by dinner (which I'll review separately) were fabulous.

We limited the tasting for 8 guys to 4 bottles...two expected strong vintages the 83 & 89 along with two weaker vintages the 92 & 97. Expectations were high and as per usual guys checked there favourite sites to get an impression(cheat) of what the wines should be like at this stage. The group ranges from very knowledgeable to avid beginner but everyone can recognize good from from plonk...or can they!!

The four wines were opened two hours prior and drank over two hours but served up blind (wrapped in foil numbered 1-4)which proved incredibly humbling and educational for most.

The discussions went back and fourth with everyone agreeing wine 1 was terrible but why?? Cheesy nose with off putting stewed pruned fruit notes but still inky black purple not showing the bricking expected with age. To me this was a cooked spoiled heat damaged wine but unsure of the vintage. Most with preconceived notions felt it must be the 92 which most reports on the net claim its dead and over the hill...or is it??

Wine 2 received 5 out of 9 first place votes(yes Danielle hosting with me was there to enjoy and be challenged) and 4 second place votes. It was the lightest coloured with the most bricking. Lighter on the palate and initially somewhat angular and acidic on the back palate with softer margaux berries than the other two to come. Very pleasant open nose with mixed strawberries and cassis with light cedar notes playing on the tongue. The leader of the pack who had two cases of the 83 said he'd recognize it anywhere and this was it. I'd never had it before but I expected more from an 83 and all the hype the wine has received. This to me was from a lighter vintage and I was siding with the 97 but but was fought down by the majority.

Wine 3 to me was clearly head and shoulders the wine of the tasting.4 first place and 5 second place votes. Deep purple with early bricking. Singing Margaux berries through and through with deep cassis, eucalyptus,smoky,earthy and some lead pencil Pauillac notes which was atypical but very pleasing. To me the 89 and a mix of opinions across the board of the other vintages.

Wine 4 was across the board ranked #3 by all so pretty consistent amongst everyone with all favouring wines 2 & 3. Wine 1 clearly off. Wine 4 starting to show some age with early bricking and lighter colour. Still holding its Margaux presence but not the depth or length that 2 & 3 showed even though 2 seemed lighter in character but was still a beautiful wine.

The reveal was very telling and you could see how preconceived influence tricked some who forgot about what was in the glass and tried to guess the wines and rank them by their perceived impression of 83 supposed to be the best then 89,97 & 92 to follow but uncertain to the order. By now I hope if you've read this far you may have guessed.

Wine #1 was a poorly stored cooked 83. The cork was soaked through and through with the capsule almost impossibly congealed to the bottle and difficult to remove. Fill was high neck though and mouldy top of cork with some seepage showing. This was brought by my good friend who had bought this at auction in the late 90s and stored in his cellar since. My other buddy had talked about how he had purchased two cases at indent and had another case still in his cellar so he graciously offered to bring one to dinner and as I'll discuss later this was the wine of the night for me!!

Wine #2 shocked most being the 97. Ready to drink and very pleasing but not the depth I'd expect from Margaux but nevertheless a value vintage if someone sees it at a good price.

Wine # 3 was indeed the 89 and a superb wine that in retrospect if tasted against the well stored 83 would have not been as difficult a challenge to rank these wines. A superb example of aged Margaux in a very good place and won't disappoint for at least 10 years.

Wine # 4 was the 92. Surprisingly better than expected. Not up to Margaux standards and probably wouldn't pay the up charge for a Margaux but still a very nice drinking bottle that exceeded expectations.

In the end a somewhat humbling but very enjoyable tasting. Knowing the vintages offered up and allowed some people to do their homework but created interesting if not comical conversation with people being led down the wrong garden path. :lol: The wines all showed Margaux typicity with some variations excluding the cooked wine of course and an overall fabulous start to the night with dinner wines actually surpassing the pre dinner tasting.
Danny
JCNorthway

Re: Very Educational Margaux Tasting

Post by JCNorthway »

Nice post Danny. Very much fun to assess wines when you can't see the label (also, as you say, humbling). I'm glad to hear that the 1989 should still be in good shape a few more years. I bought 3 at auction back in late 1990s because it is our wedding year. We've opened two of them so far - 2011 and 2014 - both for anniversary dinners. They were excellent to my tastes, and still pretty youthful. So I decided to save the last one for maybe our 30th anniversary next year. OTOH, I also have a 1986 that was given to us as a wedding gift. I keep waiting for someone to report that the 86 is finally ready so I can open mine!

Also an important lesson about trying to know about provenance when buying wines not bought on release.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

You raise a relevant issue with auction wines.
I am a regular auction buyer but I only buy them when I can inspect them first and are very picky about what I'll buy. Too many failures over the years including first growth disasters.

Back in Australia, I got so many emails for auctions, I was almost overwhelmed by them - both online only and on-site.
There is now only one live auctioneer in Singapore (plus a few very minor online auctions with little to offer) and they offer tastings of the many of the wines first - they are often brought from France (and elsewhere but most are French) and most are direct from the negociants, courtisans or Chateaux.
Luckily I have not had any bad lots (other than the usual corked bottles) and the auctioneers are quite helpful with questions about sourcing and condition.

Having said that, I am over buying expensive and old wines at auction.
It simply isn't worth the risk. Even inspecting bottles cannot always help.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

'97 a very underrated vintage!!!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I'm kind of slow on the uptake... I had to read the post twice to realize that you guys were tasting *Château* Margaux, and not several wines from the Margaux appellation!

I had the 83, but unfortunately opened it too soon.

Delighted to see the showing of the 97.

Yes, one learns a helluva lot at blind tastings...

Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blind tasting makes one think hard
johnz

Post by johnz »

I have one single bottle of the 1983 Margaux that I've struggled mightily to keep from opening, largely because I had this wine 3 years ago from a half-bottle and found it delicious but incredibly young for its age. I recall a local wine retailer calling the 1983 Margaux "classic," but I was never clear what that might mean. After tasting it at age 32 I believe one thing "classic" means is an excellent 50+ year wine.

--Gary Rust
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Gary,

No question the 83 will be likely enjoyable at 50+ years of age but I can't see this getting any better than the bottle we enjoyed at dinner. A wow wine that everyone enjoyed. Why wait for it to fade but I believe this will have a 10+ year plateau with nice tannin /acid structure with fruit to hold a well stored bottle for years to come.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm confused Danny, I thought you said the 1983 was cooked and poorly stored and "terrible", but was also your wine of the night.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Alex,

Yes Chateau Margaux and the 97 was the surprise showing the most advanced age of the group but also a lovely lighter style Margaux and drinking very nicely. I must say my mistake was not putting in a 2000 du Tertre into the blind mix and I think it would have grabbed 1st or 2nd spot at 1/30th of the cost in the blind tasting but still the 83 at dinner would have blown it and everything else away.....even the 100pt 2000 Lynch Bages shared for dinner!!
Danny
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

You are a lawyer....read more carefully. A second bottle of 83 was brought to dinner from my friends cellar stored from indent under impeccable conditions and never moved to let us experience the real deal and we were very happy with his generosity allowing us all the opportunity to have a WOW wine experience!!
Danny
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Another lovely Bordeaux vintage...'83
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

JimHow wrote:I'm confused Danny, I thought you said the 1983 was cooked and poorly stored and "terrible", but was also your wine of the night.
I'm a bit a.d.d and no writer/storyteller, but I too found it a bit convoluted...thanks for clearing it up Danny.