Denver PSA-Total Wine is open

danzur

Denver PSA-Total Wine is open

Post by danzur »

Not sure how I missed this, but I stumbled on an article yesterday about Total Wine having a store in Denver. I went there today, they opened 7 days ago. It's on Evans just West of I25. Pretty good array of 2014 and 2015 Bordeaux not normally seen around town, as well as some back vintages. The store is pretty big, I really didn't get around to much of it. The Bordeaux section is right inside the front door, along the right wall. The higher end stuff, and Firsts are in a glass enclosed wall, the balance down the wall from there. Pricing isn't great if you're used to buying from K&L, JJBuckley, Winex, etc., but pretty good for the Denver area-I would say they are 10-15% higher than the CA places. I picked up a lot of single bottles of wines I have coming in on futures over the next year or so, and grabbed a few others staples as well (Gloria, Branaire Ducru, Lanessan, Potensac, Brane Cantenac, Lagrange, CdM, Chevalier, Talbot, Les Carmes, LangoaB)....grabbed a few Pomerols and St Emilions as well as Lisa seems to like those on occasion (Clinet, La Pointe, L'Oratoire). I really wanted to grab some '14 Montrose, and Pichon Baron too, but had too many bottles in the cart (meaning I spent way too much already) :).
William P

Re: Denver PSA-Total Wine is open

Post by William P »

Very true about the price. They are big into discounting strategies. Like 10% for 6 bottles of winery direct and then combine that with their 15% off sales. Sometimes the price is very good if you are willing to play their discounting game.

Bill
AKR

Re: Denver PSA-Total Wine is open

Post by AKR »

Bordeaux from them can be fairly priced when you have a 20% off coupon, which they offer multiple times a year.

They have figured out some end around the normal markups for that region by buying in large amounts through captive importers/distributors or something.

Their email list is irritating* (I dropped out) but that's the main way they put out those deals, although they will occasionally snail mail them out too.

They are also pretty competitive for beer ($10 for a 12 pack of St Pauli girl or $12 per 12pack of Henry Weinhards at mine) as well.

Supposedly they will price match if people take pictures of offers/price tags.

I have not actually used that and they seem to make it a little harder than it ought to be.

[A customer is giving you a 'last look' and a chance to sharpen the pencil? say thanks and don't be snotty about it!]

* bad signal to noise ratio