2014 Ch. Capbern

William P

2014 Ch. Capbern

Post by William P »

I opened a 2014 Ch. Capbern from St. Estephe for dinner tonight. It's a value Bordeaux (circa $20.00) and Neil Martin and a few other "critics" seemed to think it was a great QPR. Well initial sips say this is indeed a worthy wine.

A deep dark robe.

Round tannins nicely balanced by rich, ripe fruit. Medium full body with good concentration. Sufficient acid to make a balanced wine. This will age nicely for maybe 10 years. It is a blend of 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19% Merlot and 3% Petit Verdot. A nose of herbs, earth and a hint of floral. On the palate, ripe berry, herbs, kiss of oak, earthy. Moderate finish.

While on the modern side of winemaking, it most definitely says Bordeaux. It is a super wine for the price. If you see it, buy a bottle. It will be a superb daily drinker.

Bill
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: 2014 Ch. Capbern

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The 2009 (then) Chateau Capbern Gasqueton is excellent. It was ~ $17. This was/is under the same ownership as Calon Segur, and is very close to Calon if not contiguous with it. What I find interesting is the high percentage of cabernet in the cepage, which in the 2009 was also something like 70%. Contrast that with Marquis de Calon (never had and usually well-rated), which is mostly merlot (80% if I recall)--and which commands a 50% or so premium to the Capbern.