2014 Gloria, 2015 Les Carmes HB

danzur

2014 Gloria, 2015 Les Carmes HB

Post by danzur »

Openeed a few super young Bordeaux over the last few nights:

2014 Gloria-I am really enjoying the charismatic St. Julien's lately. I opened a wonderful 2009 Gloria a few months back, and this 2014 seems to have all of the same elements-expressive nose, deep, dark fruits, a hint of chocolate, cassis, and a pretty firm structure of tannin and acid. More on the rustic side, than the polished side like the next wine. Really enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes together in 5ish years. I will probably grab (6) more of these to see how they develop. Side note, I also opened a 2005 Gloria a few months ago and it didn't have the flamboynace of the 2009. Nice wine, but didn't deliver like the 2009. I think the 2014 could develop into something special, and I'm looking forward to trying the 2015.

2015 Les Carmes Haut Brion-lots of structure here, but a lot of fruit lying just below the surface. Somewhat muted aromas, a bit floral, but restrained. Much more sleek and polished than the Gloria, a bit more modern, but not over the top to me. Red and black fruits, and a long, albeit tannic finish. I prefer the Haut Bailly and Chevalier, but I'm glad I have a few of these to see what happens down the road. the '15's need time to shed the tannin and stucture....
JimHow

Re: 2014 Gloria, 2015 Les Carmes HB

Post by JimHow »

Mmmm. That Gloria sounds like a Jim How kind of wine.
I have one '14 in my cellar and I bought a couple '15s this past week.