I'm going to make a bold statement about the '15 Malescot...

JimHow

I'm going to make a bold statement about the '15 Malescot...

Post by JimHow »

...I like it.

I like it a lot.

There. I said it. I'll report back more.
JimHow

Re: I'm going to make a bold statement about the '15 Malescot...

Post by JimHow »

It is a touch too sweet. Okay, that's a minor negative.
But I'm not finding any of the intruding alcohol and rough-and-tumble tannins of some of those other 2015s I've been drinking.
This has the typical earthiness, mushrooms, Margaux berries of this estate, deep, brooding black/ruby, yeah, throw in some wood, cedar, oak, but certainly nothing unpleasant or intrusive. This is a "typical" Malescot St. Exupery... there will be the usual debates about whether it is "modern" or "traditional." For me, as I usually opine about this estate (which, by the way, like NEVER disappoints me), is that it is more traditional but benefits from "modern" wine-making practices.
Okay, here it goes, Hound... It is very "pure." It is very Malescot.
Very nice. Why? Perhaps the biggest reason: The 14.5% alcohol level seems to be absorbed.
Well done, I'm glad that I have another 9 bottles or so in my cellar. I'll drink those puppies well into my seventies, the good lord willing. Stefan, I'll bring one by in College Station in about 12-15 years.
Rating: 95 points.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Glad you liked it... I did not have a good experience with it, if not terrible, when I tasted it at the UGC...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You should never base your conclusions, CV, upon a quick small pour among dozens of wines at a UGC tasting.
You need to spend at least an evening, over several hours, with one bottle.
And even then your impressions are limited.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

When I thought the BD has lost it completely... he bounces back!

Hail the 2015 Margaux!

And Jim, we will drink a few 2015 together in 10-15 years... and still have fun discussing about them.

Nic
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

For what it's worth, here are my notes from spring 2016:

2015 Malescot Saint-Exupéry
70% Cabernet Sauvignon and 30% Merlot
N: not very expressive, but some underlying spirity fruit and a perfumed quality
P: nice, rich mouth feel with a great balance thanks to fresh acidity. Good, lingering black fruit and tarry aftertaste with textured tannin. Very successful.

Alex R.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I also tasted it at the UGC in January 2018 in NYC, just after it had seen its barrel aging, and tasted it alongside Panos K and we both looked at each other after sipping and spitting and agreed that the oak treatment was simply too heavy handed. Granted it was a drive-by pour from the beginning of the btl, and I also did not go back for a second pour so maybe I should revisit it from bottle or maybe not and just put that money into more Rauzan Segla :mrgreen:
Last edited by jckba on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Glad you finally popped one that pushes the right buttons for you Jim.

I’m enjoying your sampling of 2015s. While compilations of TNs are useful and information dense, they’re by necessity too short to get much context. They’re a little like seeing a 30-second ad for a movie, while these are more like watching trailers. Will I like it? Have I just seen all the best scenes? Is it worth the ticket and time? Will I get more or less out of it when I see the whole thing?

I’m not surprised at differences in how this or any wine shows under different circumstances and with different tasters, and I won’t be surprised if it shows differently with age on it. If I’ve learned one thing about wine evaluations over the years, it’s that no wine elicits a uniform reaction from all comers, and certainly not over time.

Jim's comment, "as I usually opine about this estate (which, by the way, like NEVER disappoints me)," suggests that the producer’s track record can be as good a predictor as any taster or critic.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

jckba wrote: ... or maybe not and just put that money into more Rauzan Segla :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with that approach, Brane-Cantenac as well.
Although, I have to rely on the opinions of others for now since I'm not willing to open any of my own ITNS.
William P

Post by William P »

Speaking of 2015 Margaux, I had the 2015 Château Ferrière the other day. It is a very nicely balanced wine. Not a blockbuster but for $37.00 a good midterm drinker.

Bill
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

William, and yet people say Bordeaux is "way too expensive".

How much does a good California Cab cost these days (medium range).

Alex R.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:You should never base your conclusions, CV, upon a quick small pour among dozens of wines at a UGC tasting.
You need to spend at least an evening, over several hours, with one bottle.
And even then your impressions are limited.
Agreed Jim... That’s why I had the caveat ‘if that pour is representative....’ on the other thread....
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

AlexR wrote:William, and yet people say Bordeaux is "way too expensive".

How much does a good California Cab cost these days (medium range).

Alex R.
Maybe not super seconds, but there are plenty of bordeaux growth properties even in good vintages cheaper than good Cali cabs...
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AlexR wrote: How much does a good California Cab cost these days (medium range).
In the same quality range as a $35-40 Bdx, about $50.
William P

Post by William P »

Funny Alex because, I'm the last person to ask about Cali Cabs. I have about 10 Cabs in the cellar. I did go to a Cali Cab tasting (Caymus, Barnett Valley, Heitz etc.) a few months ago where the prices ranged from $65 to $80 a bottle. The Ferrière was a better value, and maybe a better wine. At least, I liked it better than its Cali brethren.

Bill
Ryan DB

Post by Ryan DB »

Jim, count me among the fans of 15 Malescot. I did not find it to be 'heavy handed' or over-oaked, but that's me. It's going to develop into a very nice wine, but will take at least 15-20 years, for my palate.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

These days I'm finding very few Calif reds that I like for under $100, so Bordeaux is a bargain!
And better :)
Michael-P
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

Michael-P wrote:These days I'm finding very few Calif reds that I like for under $100, so Bordeaux is a bargain!
Michael-P
Couldn't agree more. Cali cab is overpriced. For the money, there are many Bordeaux and Chilean wines that are at least equal or even better. Also don't forget Aussie cab from Coonawarra and Margaret River.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The key to buying cali cab is backfilling. Vintages from the 80's and 90's are usually substantially cheaper than the current stuff, and much better to boot.

That said, the excellent 2014 Ridge Estate Cab is ~$45.
felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

I'm a big fan of the 15 Malescot. A big wine with the oak still present (as it should be at this age) but it exudes Margaux femininity and wonderful drive. This and Brane Cantenac were my two purchases from this commune in 2015. 95-96 points for me, and should drink beautifully once it reaches it's teens.
felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

Frederico wrote:
Michael-P wrote:These days I'm finding very few Calif reds that I like for under $100, so Bordeaux is a bargain!
Michael-P
Couldn't agree more. Cali cab is overpriced. For the money, there are many Bordeaux and Chilean wines that are at least equal or even better. Also don't forget Aussie cab from Coonawarra and Margaret River.

even as an Aussie, I don't think there are any Australian Cabs that can hold a candle to the top-tier Napa stuff. Not even close. However, at 20-30% of the price, they do represent decent value. I certainly agree, however, that Bordeaux these days offers a better quality at the same price range as the top Cali Cabs.