2015 La Dame de Montrose: Charmingly Uncharming.

JimHow

2015 La Dame de Montrose: Charmingly Uncharming.

Post by JimHow »

...That's not really an accurate title,
This is a VERY lovely wine.
Would merit first label status.
You don't get any sense that this was treated as some sort of second effort.
I rarely drink a second label.
But Montrose, which I love, is priced out of my range.
Discard all this nonsense about St. estephe being the weak link in 2015.
Frankly, I wonder if the micro-climate in the northern Medoc didn't end up being best for the hot vintage, at least from a Jim How analysis.
Let's check the alcohol level...
13.5% it says, on the back label.
A full percentage point higher, at least, than what is presented just a few miles to the south and over across the river. Not surprised.
This La Dame puppy has really good stuffing. Love it. It doesnt have that overbearing heaviness and weight that you experience in othe appellations to the south and west.
Fresh, pointed, focused.
Rating:91 points. Not too shabby.
Nicklasss

Re: 2015 La Dame de Montrose: Charmingly Uncharming.

Post by Nicklasss »

Interesting. I did not had any Saint-Estèphe at the 2015 UGC tasting in Montreal. Not a lot of producers present...

Bordeaux being what it is, it is normal that great wines have been produced in all aoc in 2015. Margaux is shining in general, but in a vintage like 2015, it is normal to have great wines everywhere. And Montrose has the terroir (the $ and the technology also) to produce great first and second label every vintage.

Just to convince yourself there is good stuff out of Margaux, try Léo Barton or Clinet...

Nic
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Jim
For most of my life, I have had little time for second wines.
However, that has changed maybe over the last decade or so, as some of the second labels are now delicious wines in their own right.
Typically, the Medoc second wines tend to have a high proportion of Merlot and as such, can be plummy and red fruited.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Alright, you convinced me I should get some of the 2015. I can get the 2014 locally for about $36 (have one), and 375s for under $20 (drank 2), but the 2015 seems to be a bit better and I can have it shipped to me from Norwalk at a price of just under $50.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Chris,

If I was given the choice btw 2014 and 2015 in the northern Medoc (ie Saint Estephe), I would tell you to load up on the 2014’s and especially if the 2015 is going to cost you a 50% premium.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I rarely drink a second label.
For most of my life, I have had little time for second wines.

So sayeth the BD.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

jckba wrote:Chris,

If I was given the choice btw 2014 and 2015 in the northern Medoc (ie Saint Estephe), I would tell you to load up on the 2014’s and especially if the 2015 is going to cost you a 50% premium.
I never did get any of the 2015, but I just cleaned off the Manchester Total Wine shelf of their remaining few 2014s. Last weekend I opened my first full bottle and thought it noticeably better than the two 375s I previously had. Not the powerhouse that 2010 is but nice rich fruit and complexity with no obvious oak, smooth tannins and a decent length finish.
I also enjoyed a 2014 Pagodes de Cos recently and bought some more of that too.