TNs: 1983 Ch. Gloria and 1983 Ch. L’Arrosee

Ramon_NYC

TNs: 1983 Ch. Gloria and 1983 Ch. L’Arrosee

Post by Ramon_NYC »

1983 L’Arrosee, Saint-Emilion
Leather and sweet spice in the nose. Lip-puckering acidity and some tartness on the approach. While the wine appears to have been kept in great provenance, it is definitely not a blockbuster. Green and somewhat bitter tart in the finish. Not my preferred mature Bordeaux. B-

1983 Ch. Gloria, Saint-Julien
Nice, deep red, somewhat youthful, Bordeaux color. Tertiary nose with leather and some earth. Has that nice level of acidity, some tannin, and just enough hint of green taste that I like in some of my Bordeaux. Has that classic flavor, including some slight earthiness. This medium-bodied wine evolved to show some sweet/ripe fruit with time in the glass. I think this could still drink well in the next 5 years. B+
SteveH

Re: TNs: 1983 Ch. Gloria and 1983 Ch. L’Arrosee

Post by SteveH »

Twenty five plus year old bottles are always interesting, and dicey. I uncork them with care, and always with low expectations.

Your ' 83 Gloria is a fine success for this non-classified property! Nice notes.

Steve
stefan

Post by stefan »

Really, Steve? I rarely have an '83 that has problems. My failure rate with '95-'02 white Burgundies is several times higher.

Ramon, it sounds like both of yours were in good condition even if the L'Arrosee is not to your taste.

stefan
Ramon_NYC

Post by Ramon_NYC »

SteveH wrote:Twenty five plus year old bottles are always interesting, and dicey.
I suspect that that statement is more apt to the low classified or unclassified stuff that I drank. I've only had very few higher classified 1983's and the ones that I had genereally showed more predictability in terms of the expected longevity and characteristics of their respective chateaus.

Stefan: Yes, the bottles looked and tasted like they were well-stored.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Yes, of course, I'm referring to the non-classified properties. The big guns of ' 83 are superb wines. Ch. Margaux ' 83 is perhaps my alltime favorite vintage of the estate. Lafite ' 83 was fabulous, until I drank them all up. I remember Jim alerted us to a supersale of Lafite at P.C. about 8 years ago. A true and classic Lafite.