BWE we’re OK – an observation.

William P

BWE we’re OK – an observation.

Post by William P »

As some of you know, I been around a few years. Over the decades, I’ve read my share of posts here and on other Boards. I think we should congratulate ourselves for this fine institution. We are wonderfully different. Many here (including myself) have been on other Boards. It seems that inevitably they have threads that go ballistic over someone’s opinion. You all know the vitriol that comes out. People seem to forget this is a hobby and one that gives pleasure. It can turn ugly fast.

My point, at times we disagree. We have great tasters here and not all align. We have egos. We have everything it takes to be combustible, but I rarely see it happening. What is funnier, from my knowledge many of the major flare-ups happen off the Board rather than on it. And those are few and far between.

I understand we are smaller and more focused, still, I am impressed by the group’s ability to live and let live. It never gets personal. That is the reason I continue to read the Board even if I contribute very little nowadays.

I’ve met wonderful people because of this Board, I hope to meet many more.

Bill
JimHow

Re: BWE we’re OK – an observation.

Post by JimHow »

Amen, my man.
You've been a great friend, a true BWEer, over the years.
You definitely have that spirit of good will that personifies BWE.

I've been tied up in some big trials in recent weeks, will post more soon.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You're absolutely right William P. BWE is different. I discussed many times with Jim about that and we still can't figure why. I was so happy to meet you in SF after all these years, like I have been so happy with every BWEer i met.

But you're also right that the shit hits the fan sometimes, some BWEers come and goes, we get elegantly wasted sometimes, some can raise the volume, we're irrespectful with some critics, but even with all that, we don't take ourselves too seriously, we're humble wine lovers, we would talk about Bordeaux (and share a bottle) with anybody half like us, without judging skin color or religion or job/income level or politic allegeance or gender or...

We're the best Bordeaux lovers community on the internet, we're BWE.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

But you're also right that the shit hits the fan sometimes, some BWEers come and goes, we get elegantly wasted sometimes, some can raise the volume, we're irrespectful with some critics, but even with all that, we don't take ourselves too seriously, we're humble wine lovers, we would talk about Bordeaux (and share a bottle) with anybody half like us, without judging skin color or religion or job/income level or politic allegeance or gender or...
The dictionary definition of Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great board with a lot of great people. Why it works....respect for others opinions that doesn't happen a lot anywhere these days unfortunately. Maybe its an age thing where most on this site are of an age where people were brought up to listen and think before you respond. This is a hobby for everyone and a wonderful one at that. Most seem to get the fact that everyones tastes differ and so do their opinions. There is no right or wrong and you just can't convince someone that they should love this wine because its a 100 pointer. Hell I hate cilantro and nobody is going to convince me that I'm supposed to love the stuff no matter how great the arguments are and unlike on some other wine boards where people are attacked because their tastes or perceptions don't align with the masses. Sounds a like a little discrimenatory of the minority all over again which thankfully is a rare occurrence here. Thanks and keep it sane going forward.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well said, Bill. The BWE gang is always a pleasure and the respect and consideration we give to each other and to differing opinions is the largest part of that.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Our last BWE confab, singing Kumbayah My Lord, after a swig or two of the 1990 Bon Pasteur

William P

Post by William P »

AKR wrote:Our last BWE confab, singing Kumbayah My Lord, after a swig or two of the 1990 Bon Pasteur
or are they singing:

Wine, wine, wine
Pass that bottle to me
marcs

Post by marcs »

I do think it has something to with the fact that everyone in the community is automatically invited to at least one general in-person get together every year. That creates a different spirit I think. The assumption is that it is not a purely internet relationship, there is an in-person dimension. I know I am grateful for how I as a total stranger was welcomed to the BWE meets after just a short time posting here.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I think marcs is right... The difference is the ritual of the get together. Once you meet someone in person, one has a completely different take on how one treats the other when a difference of opinion arises. When you know someone in person, and a disagreement arises, you tend to take a pause and listen to the other side instead of jumping to conclusions. That goes a long way in maintaining decency and decorum. (Talk about the political discussions, which beget the most differences among the members)

On the other hand, look at the social media nastiness where people are behind the screen, no idea who the other person is, and people tend to go after one another even the opposing view is worth a consideration. I mean that’s just one of the factors, but you get the point...

I have not yet attended a bwe event, but I feel I know the members personally as everyone comes across as civil and non judgmental even I may not agree with others and vice versa...

Civility begets civility, just as hatred begets hatred...