TN: 1998 Leoville Poyferre [St Julien]

AKR

TN: 1998 Leoville Poyferre [St Julien]

Post by AKR »

1998 Leoville Poyferre [St Julien] 13% abv, held since release, decanted 4 hours earlier. I'm getting lightening at the edges here, but otherwise a dark ruby/garnet robe, and medium/full bodied. Surprisingly for my taste, its hardly different in quality than the last two times I had the (well regarded) 1996. On the nose I get a pinch of vanilla, dust/earth, cedar. It has a cool raspberry, cranberry tone on the palate. Not much sediment at all, and the cork seems pristine. I wonder if this was better a few years ago, but otherwise this is in an excellent place right now, better than a younger (and perhaps off) Branaire last night. I stopped by an ethnic butcher this afternoon - after two failed trips to ski shops to find one of my kids better fitting ski boots - and picked up some gigantic oxtails. Those are braising with dried porcini, beef broth, plus spices and should pair well with the rest of this bottle and creamy polenta. I remember the first time trying this wine back in 2000 at the (now departed?) Union Sq. Cafe with a few friends -- this has aged well. I'm surprised in its charm for an Atlantic styled vintage but I don't think there's any need to wait further on this so enjoy now. I'd slot this in the strong B+ zone.
JimHow

Re: TN: 1998 Leoville Poyferre [St Julien]

Post by JimHow »

I wonder if Leoville Poyferre does better in those crunchy vintages?
I recall liking the 1998 when it was young, and I liked the 2002 and 2008 as well.
AKR

Post by AKR »

That might balance out some of the Rolland / international aspects bigger years might display.

So it turned out I put a pinch more paprika in the oxtails than I should have; they ended up a shade spicy.

And oxtails beg for gnawing on at the tail end of supper, which means a double round of flossing afterwards, and I'm still not sure I got everything out.

Both kids have braces now, so we're hyper about flossing/brushing etc.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Hopefully this is my last bottle of the 1998 Leoville Poyferre [St Julien] which I had last night, which was again, double decanted to remove the very light sediment. It remains medium bodied, with a bouquet of pencil / graphite, and an austere Atlantic character. I'd held this bottle since release too, and all things considered, it didn't repay cellaring well, despite Sucklings Cellar Selection anointment all those decades ago. I liked this 1998 better younger, and it should have been finished by age 10 or maybe 15 tops. To me, the color suggests it can keep on holding, although little benefit to future aging will happen IMO. I'd slot this into the B grade in my ledger.
An austere Poyferre
An austere Poyferre
marcs

Post by marcs »

Hmmm. Well, 98 Left Bank was not great. I have some 1996 LP socked aside that I have not tried yet...have you tasted any of those recently? T
AKR

Post by AKR »

WilliamP and I had a bottle of the 96 some years ago, and I'm guessing I've also had it since then again, but perhaps without a post.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6552&p=51479

I'd be drinking them personally; 25 years is a long time.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I have a 3L of 1996 Leoville Poyferre that I got from Premier Cru years ago.
I guess the next BWE convention will be the time to uncork....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Yeah, 98 LB doesn’t usually bring the fireworks, but a bottle of the 98 Pichon Baron was pretty brilliant recently and more or less fully ready to drink.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 1998 Léoville Las Cases is a success in that less than heralded vintage.
bradburyd

Post by bradburyd »

JimHow wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 pm I wonder if Leoville Poyferre does better in those crunchy vintages?
I recall liking the 1998 when it was young, and I liked the 2002 and 2008 as well.
The 1999 was very pleasant too.
Claret

Post by Claret »

bradburyd wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:33 pm
JimHow wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 pm I wonder if Leoville Poyferre does better in those crunchy vintages?
The 1999 was very pleasant too.
Welcome Brad.
Glenn
Claret

Post by Claret »

I have a single 96, it will go into the queue for the next locker pull.
Glenn