2016 Chateau de Cruzeau

Nicklasss

2016 Chateau de Cruzeau

Post by Nicklasss »

One of the first 2016 I have, this affordable Pessac Léognan from André Lurton.

Well let says it has too much oak for me at the moment. The wine is concentrated, and has some freshness, and a nose of blackberries, blackcurrants and oak, but the mouth is dominated by oak, and it is very sad. There is also some concentrated berries, but the vanilla wood is overhelming everything else. Decent length on the final, you guess it, oaky. I don't know how you can ruin a wine like that with too much oak, in a glorious vintage like 2016. A bad bottle? I don't think so, my biggest red Bordeaux deception in a long time.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: 2016 Chateau de Cruzeau

Post by Nicklasss »

The leftover of 2015 Chapoutier Les Meysonniers, compared to the 2016 Cruzeau, looks even more glorious!

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Can’t read too much into that, though, can we?
It seems to me we have seen a lot of vintages with heavy oak immediately upon release.
(The 2000 Pape Clement was almost unprintable at the very beginning.)
What is the alcohol percentage?
AKR

Post by AKR »

To me, having some of these so young, is like trying to eat a just plucked avocado, when its effectively raw.

Sure there are some exceptions, but most of them time, a few years are needed.

Like the 'cado, let it relax and ripen a little.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'll try the leftover in a few days. But let say it has been a while since I had that much oak in a young red Bordeaux.

We'll see.

Nic
KWP

Post by KWP »

Have always thought Couhins-Lurton Blanc and Rouge were the best wines in the Lurton stable, better than La Louviere even. Decade ago we did a La Louviere vertical with Mssr. Lurton, most from their cellar were drying out or over the hill. Some like the 1990 showed alright, but many years that should have held, did not show as expected.
AKR

Post by AKR »

KWP wrote:Have always thought Couhins-Lurton Blanc and Rouge were the best wines in the Lurton stable, better than La Louviere even. Decade ago we did a La Louviere vertical with Mssr. Lurton, most from their cellar were drying out or over the hill. Some like the 1990 showed alright, but many years that should have held, did not show as expected.
Yikes.