TN: 2015 Marsac Seguineau

Racer Chris

TN: 2015 Marsac Seguineau

Post by Racer Chris »

I popped the cork last night on my first bottle of this, received only a day earlier.
Decanted for nearly an hour before first tasting. Modest development with more air time.
Translucent red color. Alcohol evident on the nose but no heat on the back palate.
Sour cherries, currants, raspberries and strawberries, bright with medium plus tannins.
No overt bitterness and only a hint of oak. No strong herbal or mineral character, but lightly spiced.
Nice flavor, easy to sip alone, although a bit drying on the finish.
Went very well with my steak and sautéed mushrooms.
Well balanced. Pleasurable, and fairly typical of this chateau.
I'll buy a case or more when my LWS brings it in once the 2014 is gone from his shelves.
14% abv. 89 points.
Nicklasss

Re: TN: 2015 Marsac Seguineau

Post by Nicklasss »

I'll look for that, as probably at a good price here. I've seen some 2014 around, maybe i should buy one to see.

Nic
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I opened a bottle of the 2009 earlier this week. Here's my simple tasting note:

Pnp. Translucent cranberry colored.
Tart berry fruit, followed by smooth, slightly drying tannins and a medium length finish.
Very nice!
91 pts
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi Racer.

I opened a bottle of the 2015 Marsac Séguineau yesterday and feal like you about that wine : excellent wine. Very 2015 and very Margaux, with all kinds of red berries on the nose, with some flowers too, and very distinguished oak. Very excellent in mouth too, with medium richness of fruit, good structure, light oak and spices, ripe and giving, with a nice medium finish. Convincing for the price. Tn: 90.

Nic
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I'm glad you were able to locate a bottle and that you enjoyed it. My local store is still selling the 2014 so I haven't filled my cellar with the 2015 yet.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I opened a bottle of the 2014 today to have for lunch with some pesto I made last night.
I'm really enjoying this inexpensive Margaux. Typically red-fruited, this vintage is no exception, with raspberry, pomegranate, strawberry and cherry notes. Bitterness I've noted in the past is still there but integrates well with the semi-tart fruit and subtle sous bois element, and adds to the medium length finish. Even at 14%abv the fruit is nowhere near too ripe. I can sense the oak influence in my mouth but no obvious evidence in terms of specific flavors like vanilla or toasty overtones. Really good balance here, even as the tannins unfurl. Even though I tend to prefer more dark fruited wines, this one is a pleasure to drink.
At nearly 5 years of age this is in a good place for early drinking.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice. If you had to pick one over the other, is it the 14 or the 15?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:Nice. If you had to pick one over the other, is it the 14 or the 15?
Not a valid sample for comparison yet. Here's what I can say. I'm on the 6th bottle of the 2014, and I've noticed an improvement since my first bottle, but I've only had one of the '15. Based on my tasting notes I think they will be comparable, and I'd love to do a side-by side to verify - sometime in the near future.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a case or more of either one. In fact I keep buying bottles of the '14 off my LWS shelves, a few at a time, in the hopes he'll start stocking the '15 soon. I can get the '15 from an online source but I'll defer to Manchester Wine & Liquors whenever they have what I'm looking for. Joey always gives me a good deal.