BWE '19

JimHow

BWE '19

Post by JimHow »

So... Where are we going to go for our 19th annual celebration?
It is CRAZY that we have been doing this for 19 years. Who would have EVER imagined this back in 2000?
Denver? Back to DC?
Keep in mind, I'm going to be hardpressed to be talked out of my plan of doing TWO conventions in our 20th year celebration, in DC and France.

DC is such a great venue for BWE events.
But there has been heavy lobbying for Denver as well.
One of my biggest considerations is to do it in the locale that will attract the most participants.

Also.... I'd like to see some first-timers at our 19th celebration.
It is an awesome long weekend!

Sincerely,
JimHow
Your kind and benevolent dictaor.
Claret

Re: BWE '19

Post by Claret »

Denver.
Glenn
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

Denver! New BWE spot, great local hosts.

If we can get corkage (which as I understand it is the issue with CO as a location), we should do it.

United hub so loads of flights, and much easier for any west coast BWEers like myself.

Denver!

SF Ed
AKR

Post by AKR »

Denver!

If corkage is the main holdup, see if we can get rent a super sized suite / lounge in a hotel, and just have trays of food sent up and do all the pouring ourselves.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

We’d be truly honored to host ya’all BWE in the Mile High City. Corkage is a challenge, but via the ‘private party’ work around and my hook ups on the town, we can 100% get this done.

If we get some folks out for a Wednesday night gathering again, I’ll follow Ed and Lisa’s lead and offer to host that at my house.

For Thursday night, we have a great Italian place that is BYOB friendly. And I know a few venues that will let us take over the whole place for Friday and/or Saturday night, depending on numbers.

So, just say the word BD, and Denver will be ready!
marcs

Post by marcs »

LOL, the Denver people deserve their time in the BWE spotlight, but like a corrupt IOC member I'm going to vote for Washington DC because I live here and it's maximally convenient for me.

But aside from that reason, I'll try for another one -- late March is the *very best and most beautiful time* to be in DC, it's the full flush of spring, cherry blossom season! But late March in Denver? Still winter, right? Temps freezing at night, probably snow and slush on the ground. Unless you are a winter-loving skier with enough vacation to take a week off and drive through the snow to a Colorado resort it is not the best time to visit.

(OK, I'll admit I have never actually been to Denver in March, so come at me Colorado people!).
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

“In most years, Denver averages a daily maximum temperature for March that's between 50 and 58 degrees Fahrenheit. The minimum temperature usually falls between 24 and 29 °F.

The days at Denver start to warm more rapidly during March. By the end of the month, the temperature has climbed around 8 °F above what it was at the start.

Nearly every day in March warms over 40 °F in Denver. The city averages 3 days this month when the thermometer reaches into the 70s °F. Temperatures above 80 °F happen every few years.”

Aka, perfect red wine weather!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Denver, Denver, Denver...
tim

Post by tim »

Not sure if I can attend, but Denver sounds good to me.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie and I love the DC conventions, but Denver deserves its turn. So we vote for Denver.
Most important for me is to know the dates. I have a lot of travel to do in the spring and have avoided picking the dates until I know when BWE-19 will be held. Denver is usually nice by late March, as Patrick noted.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I concur with others that Denver deserves its shot. DC makes more sense as every other year rather than every year.

But for me personally, on dates / timing -- just because I love to hike and am not much of a skier, so it seems like a shame to me to miss out on springtime in the Rockies. Is something like late May/early June possible? I am not as familiar as others with BWE traditions for this so apologies if it's an obnoxious question.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Denver.

I like the idea of summer in Denver. June and July are open except for 1 weekend.
William P

Post by William P »

As I said before, Denver should get it turn. I'm flexible on date, though there is one week in June where I'm booked. I check my calendar and edit this when I know the date.

Bill
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I am available March-June to help host. July isn’t ideal, as it really has become too hot in mid summer in the last decade or so (even the mountains are getting unpleasantly hot through much of July). By late March, however, it is usually lovely weather with highs in the upper 60’s and lows in the 40’s. And lots of sunshine is guaranteed!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Historically we have found that if we push it back much past April 1st weekend we start to run into scheduling conflicts.
For 2019, the usual weekend falls on:

Thursday, March 28, 2019
Friday, March 29, 2019
Saturday, March 30, 2019
Sunday, March 31, 2019

Stefan et al, how do those dates look?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Those dates are open for me now.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I still have to admit I'm a little queasy about doing a BWE convention in a city that doesn't allow corkage.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:I still have to admit I'm a little queasy about doing a BWE convention in a city that doesn't allow corkage.
Rent a big chalet and hire a private chef.
William P

Post by William P »

I have to agree Jim.
There seems to be a great deal of confusion regarding the BYOB laws in Colorado. I've read that the Colorado law forbids BYOB. I have yet to find the statute. Obviously, this is an issue that must be resolved before we make out choice. My impression is you can't bring bottles into restaurant in Colorado. That seems to be a serious problem.

Bill
stefan

Post by stefan »

Same problem with BYOB in Texas, but we managed.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

If Blanquito and Tom in DC can work it, let's not worry about normal corkage. If they can sort it, which Blanquito says they can, then we should go to Denver.

I will make those dates in late March work.

SF Ed
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I get the concern about corkage, but as we have long standing relationships with some great local venues who apply the “private party” work around for us. Every wine lover in Colorado has their “local” where they can bring wine (Art in Salida, Jeb in Longmont, my dad in Edwards, my old wine buddies in Fort Collins, etc.).

And this is all much easier with bigger groups (20-35+), as we can take over smaller places entirely and then it really is a private party. Plus, a few hotels have hospitality arrangements where they can host alcohol events.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Patrick:
One of the pretty much non-negotiable requirements of a BWE convention is the "private room" for the Saturday night convention dinner.
The Thursday and Friday night dinners are usually less structured.

Would we be able to:

1. Get a private room on Saturday night; and
2. Drink as MUCH wine as we want, with NO limitations?

If the answer to both questions is Yes, under what legal authority in Denver/Colorado is that allowed?

Your Beloved Dictator.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The answer is yes to both questions.

The legal authority however is questionable — there is supposedly a private party clause/out, where the owner of an establishment can host parties at his or her establishment where alcohol not purchased through regular channels is allowed.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

After 18 months living here (and seeing Blanquito work his magic), I'm confident we can make Denver work.

Most folks' impression of Denver weather is based on a memory of blowing snow on TV during a September Monday Night Football game. :o Regarding temperatures and climate, my experience with Denver (though we've only lived here 18 months, I've been traveling here reqularly for 25+ years) is that the temperature is almost the same as DC. (NOAA data below bears this out.) The key is that with Denver's low humidity, it's always more comfortable in Denver than the same temp would be in DC!

There will be lots of hiking opportunities at that time. By April 1st the snow is only in the high country.

City/Month__ Hi _ Low
Denver
February ___ 49° _ 21°
March _____ 58° _ 29°
April ______ 65° _ 35°
May _______ 73° _ 44°

Washington DC
February __ 47° _ 27°
March _____ 56° _ 35°
April ______ 67° _ 44°
May _______ 76° _ 54°
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Denver is sounding better with each post I read.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The legal authority however is questionable — there is supposedly a private party clause/out, where the owner of an establishment can host parties at his or her establishment where alcohol not purchased through regular channels is allowed.
Man, that language scares me, Patrick, we have people coming from thousands of miles away, from other countries even, and we are talking about committing ourselves to something that does not appear to be legal.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

We can always book a venue and have a chef cook for us.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm committed to Denver as long as our events are legal, we can have private rooms for our events, and there are no limitations on the amount of wine we can bring/drink.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:I'm committed to Denver as long as our events are legal, we can have private rooms for our events, and there are no limitations on the amount of wine we can bring/drink.
We can definitely secure the latter two conditions 100%. The first part is admittedly less black and white, however the risk is assumed by the restaurant, and the risk seems theoretical as I’ve never heard of any actual issues.

However, if we require a completely, 110% legal (we’re taking civil law of course) arrangement in Colorado, we will need to either: (a) get events catered, (b) take over small enough restaurants entirely so that it is well and truly a private party, or (c) hold it in hotel which has a hospitality license (I’ve attended various wine nights at such places). Or some combo of these scenarios. All 3 are fairly straight forward to arrange - I’ve already received the green light from a few restaurants about hiring out the whole joint - when there’s a big enough group.

Given our typical convention numbers (bolstered as needed by a few local wine lovers) and these options, I don’t think we’d have to bend the law to pull this off. It’s only a grey area when there’s regular diners in the establishment who are not part of the private party, a scenario we can avoid.

If that’s too convoluted to make everyone comfortable, I totally get it. As a local, I’m not worried but everyone needs to feel good about the arrangements.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We appreciate your taking the lead on this Patrick.