88 LLC and 88 Cos

Michael-P

88 LLC and 88 Cos

Post by Michael-P »

Ever since we bought the house in Napa almost 6 years ago and are able to spend quiet weekends there, or with friends that want to go wine tasting, or with our friends that live and work in the wine trade in Napa, I've noticed we have been drinking Napa wines more often than not. Perhaps it's just since we are in that neighborhood, and I enjoy some of them, although unfortunately the somewhat more expensive ones it seems (but not the crazy expensive ones that somehow exist here). But since my true wine love is Bordeaux I finally put my foot down last weekend when Nalan and I got to the house and we had these two 88s.

Both of us were instantly blown away by the complexities, wonderful complementary flavors and low alcohol levels. I did not take notes (yes, what a shock!) but the LLC was more meaty, dark fruits, smoky. The Cos was more lively and fresh with raspberry and pomegranate. We love Bordeaux! More please!

Michael-P
DavidG

Re: 88 LLC and 88 Cos

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like these were right where they’re supposed to be.
I love 88s. Sleeper vintage.
Many drinking great with great complexity now, and should stay on plateau for years.
And they get extra credit for being our wedding year.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Great to read your post, Michael!

Living in SF with a weekend home in Napa sounds pretty much like the Good Life to me :-).

Perhaps it was difficult to say which of the 88s you preferred. Your notes make it sound that, at age 30, they were as good as they will ever be.

Pitting Bordeaux against Napa Cabs is, I guess, kind of inevitable. One part of the equation that is frequently overlooked is the *cost*, because if the best Bordeaux, of course, costs a bomb, what about top-flight Napa wines? Then, of course, there are the lower-priced, but good Bordeaux :-).

When I lived in the Napa Valley all those years ago, I used to like to drive over the mountains and find less full-bodied and alcoholic wines in Sonoma County. They weren't as weighty and serious, but they provided a great deal of pleasure for people who drink wine regularly with their meals.

All the best,
Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

How 30 years has flown by with those 88's

Sonoma is making great wines too - try some of the Arrowood Especiale bottlings.

It's a good place for Pinot Noir as well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

1988..... Mmmmm. A JimHow/SFEd kind of vintage.
Claret

Post by Claret »

JimHow wrote:1988..... Mmmmm. A JimHow/SFEd kind of vintage.
A Claret vintage too
Glenn
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

1988 LLC is divine claret...

I think you are spot on Michael...make sure you try secure more such claret gems from auction, and be wary that French wine is in your President’s crosshairs...

He wants French people to drive more Buicks and drink more E&J Gallo
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Another big fan of 88 LB (both Left Bank and Lynch Bages).