Best white burgundy vintage ever?

jal

Best white burgundy vintage ever?

Post by jal »

I’ve had 4-5 2016 white Bourgogne so far, just the regular Bourgogne, not premier or even village and I have to say I’ve never tasted such vibrancy, complexity and energy in White Burgs.
I just bought a couple of cases of mixed producer bottling of Bourgogne and St Aubin. I won’t age them but will report on impressions.
I suggest when you guys next go out for seafood, order any bottle of cheap white burgundy in a restaurant and check out for yourselves (all is relative obviously, hopefully not more than $50-60 in a restaurant). I usually don’t believe vintage hype and can’t really tell of any difference between young white burgs from 2010-2015 (obviously drunk at the same age) but this vintage really wowed me.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Re: Best white burgundy vintage ever?

Post by stefan »

That is good news. I have been moaning over having trouble finding 2014 white Burgundy, but 2016 is not a problem. In September I bid on a bunch of 2014 but won only one lot. Then last week I was informed by the auction house that the lot I won had been pulled from auction and they neglected to remove it from the auction!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The few 2014 white burgs I’ve had have been wonderful. If ‘16 is even better, then wow.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

2017 is apparently very good. Will be trying quite a few in burgundy week (second week of Jan). I invested heavily in Neillon 1er Cru Chassagne 14s on Jacques’s and Blanquito’s recommendations. They are exellent, still young and structured, and don’t seem like they are going to hit the wall. But who knows?
felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

2016 is a very good White Burgundy vintage. I tasted extensively in barrel and now in bottle. I'd give it an 8 out of 10, maybe a 9 when fully mature, not sure.
However, IMO, 2014 and 2010 are better. I love 2002, and if you can find a sound 1996, that tops the lot.
Hard to call a vintage "best ever" when the region's most famous wine, Montrachet, wasn't made (in any meaningful quantities)
Personally, I don't buy anything above PC level these days, as I aim to consume all WB's before 5-6 years of age. If you don't do that, you are paying double for each bottle.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Granted, no expert here...but the best white burg I've ever tasted was from 2004
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Is everyone comfortable that the premox affair is over??
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Harry C. wrote:Is everyone comfortable that the premox affair is over??
Not me!
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm hard pressed to think of any French white from 2014 that I didn't like! Even I - a non Burg enthusiast - liked a Jadot Rully we had a month or so ago.

If 2016 is even better, I'll put some in the racks! Although we don't age our blanc's in casita AKR
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Tom In DC wrote:
Harry C. wrote:Is everyone comfortable that the premox affair is over??
Not me!
Me neither.
jal

Post by jal »

Me neither. I think I have three bottles tops of older than 2011 white burgundy.
Best

Jacques
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Premox is still a thing - had a couple bottles of 2012 Criots Batard Montrachet showing early signs of premox in January and February 2017. They were rich and delicious but had clearly peaked. Given their aging trajectory, not for keeping. A good (let alone a Grand Cru) white Burgundy should still be on an upswing at age 5, 6, and 7 (or longer).

I have been very happy with all the 2014 White Burgundies I have tried. I have basically limited myself to those under $100. Even some of those under $50 have been great.

Chris Bublitz
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Getting back to best white burgundy vintage ever, 1992 and 1993 would be strong candidates.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I have two batard montrachet '11 from the same producer...one is clearly a lil' darker than the other
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

robert goulet wrote:...one is clearly a lil' darker than the other
Not a good sign for the dark one.