2000 Louviere (rouge)

Blanquito

2000 Louviere (rouge)

Post by Blanquito »

Man, is this good. For my old school tastes, this has hit early maturity — only just starting to show mature notes of cedar and loam to go along with more youthful cassis, mint and plum scents — but totally delish as is. Mid bodied and food friendly with good acids and some nice fleshiness. The attack has a good minty sweetness and I think this will come out even more with time. Terrific mid-week claret today, but it will continue to soften and improve for another 5 to 10.
Michael Malinoski

Re: 2000 Louviere (rouge)

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Great note, thanks. I was thinking of opening one next week. My father in law has some tongue issues, so may I ask how the tannins are at this stage? Ripe and rounded or still a bit rustic (old school-ish)?

Happy holidays,
Michael
stefan

Post by stefan »

Glad to hear this. I have always liked La Louviere, but it seems to get a lot of criticism.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

This has mellowed a lot since I first tried it in 2005, but it’s still got a bit of tannic bite on the finish. Nothing oppressive, but I don’t mind a little rusticity. If a super smooth wine is called for, I’d hold off on this one for another 5 or so.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Glad to hear this. I have always liked La Louviere, but it seems to get a lot of criticism.
Yeah, this chateau kinda fell off the radar post-2000, not sure why. I don’t think I have any cellared after 2000.The 1990 is still going strong and one of the best bargains in mature claret available on the auction scene IMHO...

The 2000 is so pretty and without any pretensions. Just an honest Bordeaux, made like they once made ‘em.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I may have purchased three of these. The first, had fairly soon after release, was excellent. Dense, pliable, tasty. The next (and possibly next two) were pretty nasty. Tannic, sour, scrawny, like a trapped feral cat. It (or they) must have needed more time than the 8-10 years. Maybe I have one left. It would be nice.

I think a lot of 2000s went through a pretty rough stretch. I think this may be old school by the book but it seems that many subsequent vintages have not shut down so hard. Micro-ox maybe?
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Patrick,

Bang on with the 2000 Louviere. An ugly duckling out of the gate early on but the last bottle I had last year was classic old school Bordeaux that has rounded into its own. Like most 2000s my stocks are dwindling and another that I've drank up too early but no regrets as the last few have been great.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

I enjoyed the 90, 98 of their rouge although all are gone now.

I must have an 00 somewhere too.

It seems like the wines are not as good as they used to be, or at least that's the chatter.

Recent vintages have not crossed my cup.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Even better on day 2, showing better depth and integration. Easily one of the best $20 wines around (what I paid in 2005).