A few TNs from our CA trip, with 2 2010s opened too soon

DavidG

A few TNs from our CA trip, with 2 2010s opened too soon

Post by DavidG »

A FEW TNS FROM OUR CALIFORNIA TRIP - (12/12/2018-12/18/2018)

Peggy and I brought a few bottles with us on our winter escape to Dana Point. It was an incredibly relaxing trip with perfect weather for walking the local trails. This is what we opened while there.
  • 2010 Château Haut-Bergey - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (12/12/2018)
    Took an early look in on this. Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red to rim. Not a very exuberant nose, but cassis and some earthy, smoky elements are there. Medium body, good balance, no complexity, medium finish. Nothing wrong here but not that exciting. Will wait a few years to see if any complexity starts to develop. Very good.
  • 2013 Peter Michael Chardonnay Ma Belle-Fille - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (12/13/2018)
    Opened a bit sharp on the nose and palate, almost but not quite spritzy. This disappeared after 20 minutes. Citrus, vanilla, and a hint of flowers on the nose. Medium body, ripe fruit, decent balance, a bit more oak and less complexity than in the last bottle. Medium finish. Very good to excellent.
  • 2010 Château Haut-Bages Libéral - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (12/15/2018)
    Opened this one way too early. Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Dark red/purple to rim. Cassis, slate/graphite, floral notes, medium body, plenty of fruit, tannin and acid in good proportions but it hasn’t really melded together yet. Still all secondary with no real complexity yet. Medium finish. I’ll wait at least 5 years to open another, but for those who like Bordeaux young, it’s not closed down. Like a bubbly rather than a sullen adolescent. Very good to excellent with upside potential.
  • NV Krug Champagne Brut Grande Cuvée Edition 165eme - France, Champagne (12/18/2018)
    Yellow fruits, strong mineral acid core, young, excellent.
AKR

Re: A few TNs from our CA trip, with 2 2010s opened too soon

Post by AKR »

Dana Point is great. There was some place on the beach that we used to get grilled fish tacos whenever we'd visit.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I feel like 2010 is going to be another 2005 — don’t open even small wines for 12+ years, big wines need at least 20+

BTW the 2005 Haut Bergey also has an issue with lacking complexity that I hope will straighten out with age. Good fruit though
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

BTW the 2005 Haut Bergey also has an issue with lacking complexity that I hope will straighten out with age. Good fruit though
yeah, but isn't that pretty much the definition of Haut Bergey? Good fruit, nothing too profound.
marcs

Post by marcs »

JimHow wrote:
yeah, but isn't that pretty much the definition of Haut Bergey? Good fruit, nothing too profound.
I guess maybe but the 2000 was good and had that extra gear. I bought a whole case of the 2005 hoping it would develop into the 2000 but so far no dice :-(
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

You might want to blanquito it.
I've gone through a case of the 2005 Haut Bergey.
It has good fruit, just not a lot of complexity... at least yet.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have higher hopes for the Haut Bages Liberal than the Haut Bergey but I’m willing to wait.