Any Zachy's recommendations?

JimHow

Any Zachy's recommendations?

Post by JimHow »

I'll be at Zachy's at some point tomorrow picking up a couple cases of 2016 Bordeaux that have arrived.
I'll be looking for some lower priced chiantis and other Italian wines, maybe a Rhone and Burg or two.
If anybody has time to take a quick look at their website between now and early afternoon on Saturday I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
JimHow

Re: Any Zachy's recommendations?

Post by JimHow »

Come on guys can you just take a quick look at the chianti/italian selections, looks like some wines are on sale, I'm just looking for stuff to drink in 2019.

https://www.zachys.com

maybe you don't see anything there. How about 2015 Chianti Classico Riserva Felsina at $24.99?
That would seem like a reasonable price no?
I don't have Pappa Doc over there any more to help me out.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah I guess that Felsina is not in stock, never mind.
I do need to get a little more Italian in my cellar though.
I think I'll buy some more of that '15 Produttori in NH tomorrow, that was a real crowd pleaser.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I am afraid not as I took a look at some of their inventory earlier this evening but there is nothing that I found that is even remotely tempting in their 2018 year end sale which is actually mis-titled as it is not a real year end sale as their sale prices are for the most part above retail elsewhere. Take your example of the Felsina CCR At $24.99/btl, when I was in Total Wine in Norwalk earlier in the week, they had it for $22.99/btl. While in store tomorrow, I would tell you to take a look at their clearance wines as sometimes you can find something worthwhile that is priced to move.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ok that's good advice JC, thanks. I just figured I'll be in Scarsdale tomorrow, when you factor in gas, tolls, everything else, I thought it might be a good opportunity to stock up on 6-12 bottles for consumption in 2019. I'm picking up a case of 2016 Meyney and Tour St. Christophe.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Zachys is a little out of the way on my daily commute home (ie as is Rye Brook, Grapes, Varmax etc) so if there is something that you ever need picked up, I can do it for you and then store it for you until I see you, it’s not that big of a deal at all.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good to know JC.
I was trying to coordinate a pickup of some of your wines with Chris in CT but my schedule is really, really tight tomorrow, I don't think I can do it.
The significant other will be moving up here for a while but keeping her place down there so I'll be in NYC a little less but still a fair amount.
I really want to do a BWE dinner with the Connecticut/New York BWEers in 2019.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Sounds like a plan so let’s revisit the idea for a CT / NY BWE dinner once you are back from your Florida travels.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I used to get the occasional box of Italian wines from Zachys, but its pretty hard to find anything that is fairly priced. I do think they can pick good stuff in that region though. I got tired of their constant games around prices/sales etc. so just eventually unsubscribed to all their lists. Every now and then they would have some legit sale (like $30 for any 2010 Brunello choose from like 50 different ones) but those are few and far between, so I don't miss the emails, nor their poor website)

Supposedly there are changes afoot, with new people/policies coming, but we'll see.

If you are in store, look for 2015 Tuscan wines
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was in Zachy's last week before leaving for my Florida trip.
It was the first time I'd been back there since we lost Pappa Doc, it was a very strange feeling.
I didn't buy anything as everything was overpriced but I did get my cases of 2016 Meyney and Tour St. Christophe, which I got for $27 and $23 per bottle respectively, which seem like pretty good prices.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2014 Domaine de Chevalier rouge for $53. Lowest price in USA.

Too late for this trip, Jim, but I might get some.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:2014 Domaine de Chevalier rouge for $53. Lowest price in USA.

Too late for this trip, Jim, but I might get some.
I’d buy more at that price.