TN: 62 Giscours

Michael-P

TN: 62 Giscours

Post by Michael-P »

62 Giscours (May 09 in Dubai) – very fine sediment, dark red-brown with lots of brown tints throughout. Nose first of alcohol and acid, which quickly blew off, then hints of raspberry, cherry and a very slight touch of smoke. Smooth and soft, nice mouth feel, spicy Cayenne pepper finish, but not much fruit, too much acid and light on fruit. After 30-60 mins a little more balanced but still weak overall, green peppers, bubble gum, grapefruit (!), hints of meat fat. Lacks fruit, lacks balance, and lacks complexity. Disappointing as it was a great year and a good looking bottle. 86
sdr

Re: TN: 62 Giscours

Post by sdr »

Great note again for a not-so-great bottle. Although the '62s were fine in their day, I don't think too many of them are still alive. A double mag of the Palmer I tasted about 10 years ago was excellent, though.

That's some wine shop you have in Dubai.

~stuart
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Stuart:

Everytime I get to the U.S., I try to pull some of my wines from my cellar in San Francisco. When I'm there, its easy. Otherwise I ship to wherever I am in the U.S. For example, I shipped more wine to DC for the BWE Annual 09 just so I had left-overs to bring with me to Dubai.

I've had so many wonderful "old" bottles of Bordeaux that I am more happy with than young ones. But you're right, there's a lot of faded ones in between the old bottles that really sing to me.

Michael-P
sdr

Post by sdr »

Michael-P wrote:Stuart:

I've had so many wonderful "old" bottles of Bordeaux that I am more happy with than young ones. But you're right, there's a lot of faded ones in between the old bottles that really sing to me.

Michael-P
I know from our relatively brief experience together, Michael, that you appreciate old wines better than most. I still remember that wonderful evening at One Market (just before BWE Sonoma) when your '70 Giscours blew that '70 Latour away. I still have a few relics left from the seventies and sixties I'd love to share with you. I'm not sure when my travel plans include Dubai, however :cry:

~stuart
Last edited by sdr on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I don't think I have drunk a 1962 Bordeaux since the late 1970s. 1962 Giscours was quite good in the early 1970s. In general, 1962 was a good but not outstanding vintage for Bordeaux. It went unnoticed at first, coming as it did after the great 1961 vintage. Wine drinkers appreciated it more after the horrid 1963 & 1965 vintages, and the over heralded 1964, which had many diluted wines from the Medoc.

stefan
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Stuart:

Come join the BWE SF offline on Thursday 6 Aug and I'll pull some oldies from the cellar....
Jay Miller

Post by Jay Miller »

Coincidentally I opened a 1961 Giscours a few weeks ago. It followed an odd trajectory. Started out good, but nothing special. After about a half hour or so it was fantastic for about 10 minutes or so, then collapsed only to revive still later in the evening. Never agin reached the heights it hit briefly but was a very good mature Bordeaux.