Charmail

OrlandoRobert

Charmail

Post by OrlandoRobert »

So what's the deal with Charmail these days?

My local guy has the 2015 for $20. I love QPRs for my mid-week consumption, not always trying to break the bank here. So many of my QPR favorites, including Lanessan and Cambon La Pelouse, all going to the dark-side recently, that's it's hard to keep track of who's on first.

Traditional or still classic? Any modernist consultant being used? Any notes on the 2015?

Thanks all!
DavidG

Re: Charmail

Post by DavidG »

Can't help much as my last Charmail purchase was 2000, and it was an excellent QPR. Clearly showed some oak but not ripe/sweet/spoofy, not back then anyway. It's got a fairly high percentage of Merlot and they do a long cold soak, so it may not be an Alf wine.

Jeff Leve said this about the 2015:
A blend of 38% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Franc and 13% Petit Verdot, this medium bodied, crisp wine opens with cocoa, spice and fresh red fruits, bringing you to a peppery character in the finish.
For $20, I would try it.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm still chewing on 2005, but I don't think this was ever a traditional style.

I like it personally, and it keeps well.

But I think it will still have a Jeffrey Davies stamp on it, even if he no longer is the importer.

I bought some of its neighboring St Paul estate in 2015.

For $20 I'd suggest trying it.

But you probably have a long list of stuff in the queue ahead of that.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AKR wrote:I'm still chewing on 2005, but I don't think this was ever a traditional style..
+1.

My favorite charmail by a mile was the 1996. The 2000 was also very nice but fairly ripe and round.

Unless the QPR really speaks loudest, I doubt you’d dig this petite chateau, Bobby.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I remember buying 96-00, and then taking a break til 2005.

Not sure I have later years.

The price went up after Seagrams got involved.

Personally I liked 2005 the best, but they were all pretty good.

1997 was a surprising winner in a middling vintage.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

AKR wrote: But you probably have a long list of stuff in the queue ahead of that.
Thanks, guys, really helpful.

The thing is, with some many properties flipping to the modern consultant path, it's becoming harder to find these QPRs now. Sheez, when even Lanessan goes dark, you know sh*t is bad. PS. The 2014 Lanessan is excellent, the 2015, I'm not with it.

So I guess then the real question is, what $25 and under Crus are still classic? I was lucky to buy a bunch of 2014 Sociando for $27, wow was that a steal. The 2014 Lanessan was $17 at TW with a coupon.

I really like those honest, basic Crus that reeked of Bordeaux, such a sense of place, never trying to be anything more than what they are, a decent midweek wine with regular dinners. No new oak. No fancy wine-making devices. No optical sorters, me like some unripe grapes and stems in my wine. Heck, toss in some brett for good measure. Etc. The 2015 Siran, as I posted before, did not work this way for me, too much gloss.

By the way, I grabbed a mess of 2004 Corbin Michotte off WineBid last year in this price category. Wow was that wine fantastic for the purpose.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I only ever had the 2003 in its youth and it had a lot of acrid, "dilly" (as one of our friends here liked to say) oak tannin, like a modern Rioja or RdD. I saw an offer for the 2016 recently touting the intensive investment and modernization. Proponents of cold, pre-fermentation maceration (which is a pet peeve even if it's just a bogeyman or chimera). I wonder how widespread this technique is. It's supposed to boost upfront fruitiness.
AKR

Post by AKR »

You could look at the old school Rioja too. CVNE has a huge lineup, and I think they are likable up and down.

Traditional enough if newer BDX is leaving you cold.

Or it could be that they are just being consumed too young too.

You have a big / deep cellar ... so why the new release consumption anyways?

They're all going to taste too grapey I would think.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ever had Edmunds St John syrah or Rocks and Gravel? His wines immediately come to mind as the best fit for what you’re describing.