TN: 89 Conseillante

Michael-P

TN: 89 Conseillante

Post by Michael-P »

89 Conseillante (22 January 09 in New York) - medium red and a touch of very fine sediment making it just a bit cloudy. Rich nose of chocolate, smoke and cherry. Big, rich, very concentrated fruit, tons of chunks of black fruits packed in, thick almost syrupy, with a very long sweet unending finish. An hour later, even bigger, richer, absolutely huge, but still maintains finesse and complexity. How do they get so much fruit packed into a single swig? Full on tonight and a beautiful wine. 97
Comte Flaneur

Re: TN: 89 Conseillante

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the note Michael and for the 1970

The 2001, I enjoyed last night, is also a beautiful, supremely elegant wine
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Never had the 1989, but it is in my plan to try it in the coming years...

Thanks Comte for the small comments on the 2001. It is still available here but always hesitate to buy. According to you, what is the window of drinkability for the 2001?

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Hi Nic

I would say from now to 2030...it is not too young to drink now as the 1995 was at a similar age

It has gorgeous subtle nuances, and is as smooth as silk, it is not cheap but I will probably buy another half dozen

It is probably behind the more overtly exuberant 1982 and the 1990 (not tried the 1989, that will be rectified on Oct 17...), but may turn out like the 1985

Regards Ian
sdr

Post by sdr »

One of my favorite Pomerols from the last 20 years. The only question is, how does it compare to the '90?

Some old notes:
  • 1990 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (7/5/2008)
    The second of two bottles, both purchased at Crown many years ago, I opened at home. The first was corked. Luckily this one came through with that raspberry essence, sense of sweetness without being actually sweet; juicy and sexy. Not the concentration or intensity for great but I'd be happy to drink this any night. (90 pts.)
  • 1989 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (10/6/2007)
    Still my favorite vintage of Conseillante, just slighter more concentrated and densely flavorful than the excellent 1990. Lovely fragrance of dark raspberry and dark cherry, very much a fruit-dominated wine yet there's that definite Bordeaux spine of tannin. Not quite as silky as LC can be, but it will get there in a few years. Very consistent from attack to the sweet finish. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

~stuart
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The one time I had the '89 and '90 side by side, I liked the '90 a little more. Not by much, and it was mostly because it was more approachable. This was the group consensus as well. But this was about 10 years ago so I don't think the comparison would still hold. They've both developed quite a bit since then, and it would be tough for me to pick a favorite without trying them side by side again - too many other variables for me to keep track of. I think I got a little more concentration in the '90 on my last try than you did on your last bottle, Stuart.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Sounds like a magnificent Pomerol experience, Michael.
Great wine from the smallest commune.