2017 Domaine Tempier Rose is so worth it!

jckba

2017 Domaine Tempier Rose is so worth it!

Post by jckba »

Okay so I am at my all time heaviest weight wise so I figured that it might be time to switch up the diet a little so we opted for a lighter styled lunch but with just with more of it ;) Raw tuna and rose is a pairing that always works exceedingly well for me and in this case, the 2017 Domaine Tempier Rose is really quite spectacular and is definitely worth seeking out in this vintage. Here is my brief note which I was able to take before the bottle literally disappeared;

Fragrant nose of strawberry, grapefruit and some stone fruits that lead way to a palate that is bursting with acidity and focused honeydew melon, raspberry and honey-ed flavors that fold into a spicy, mineral undertow that lingers effortlessly on the finish. 95 points
Attachments
2017 Tempier Rose and a lighter lunch
2017 Tempier Rose and a lighter lunch
7AF5784F-28D9-4FCA-B53A-E838C14F6A33.jpeg (130.73 KiB) Viewed 926 times
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: 2017 Domaine Tempier Rose is so worth it!

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Your light lunch would suffice for a heavy dinner at Hale Makakai. Glad to see you have swapped out Coke for sparkling water. It should help with the calorie count.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Very nice meal and count me in as a fan of rosé Bandol.

On the tuna side, I like to do salade niçoise with rosé or some semi-thick dry white ( Rhône or Provence).

Nic
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Wow, a rosé you gave 95 points to!

I generally don't like Côte de Provence rosés, finding them too pale (merely a psychological thing with me) and sort of wishy-washy.

But I concur, Bandol Rosé can be really good.

You want to be sipping it on a yacht in Saint-Tropez ;-).

One rosé wine from Provence that is highly touted, and highly priced, that I do *not* particularly like is the one(s) from Ott.
Not worth the money.

Alex R.
jal

Post by jal »

Tempier makes a great rose. I usually drink a bunch of these every summer. This, along with Baudry's Chinon Rose and Lucien Crochet Sancerre Pinot Rose are my three favorite Rose.
Alex, I have had a Cotes de Provence By Ott cuvee lately at a somewhat reasonable price - about $20. It was not bad at all, I still prefer the aforementioned three, but did actually enjoy that Ott.
Best

Jacques
jckba

Post by jckba »

Art - it’s a slow progression but I am trying to reduce my diet soda intake

Nick - I’ll have to give a white Rhône a shot as that is not a pairing I have tried out

Arv - thanks and do I get double credit for the multiple greens in the lettuce and the asparagus ;)

Alex - you raise an interesting point about ratings for wines that generally fall into a lighter, more quaffable category which include rose's as well as loire valley whites (muscadet, chenin or sancerre) and in my opinion usually don't get the full credit they deserve. Sure many of these examples are refreshing and one dimensional and serve their purpose by the pool or on the boat or yacht if one is so lucky or just as well with a bucket of mussels, but there are also more serious examples that stand out and are more nuanced with additional complexities and that is why I felt that 93 points wouldn't be doing this wine justice as in my eyes, it really is a definitive cut above the pack. Make sense?

PS and I am with you on Ott which was previously commonly referred to as Hampton water in these parts that is, before Gerard Bertrand, Jon Bon Jovi and his son stole that term with their most recent offering

Jacques - also take a look for the Vacheron and Cotat Sancerre Roses as while they can be difficult to find, they are also best in class options in my book