Happy 19th Birthday to Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts!

JimHow

Happy 19th Birthday to Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts!

Post by JimHow »

Nineteen years ago today I woke up on a Saturday morning.
Goofing around on my computer, still feeling the effects of a sediment-filled 1975 Leoville Las Cases from the night before, I stumbled upon an MSN program that allowed even computer simpletons like me to "create your own website." I checked out the blog functions of the site and thought it would serve well to create a little club where people could post their tasting notes on a weekly basis, like we had been doing on the deteriorating Wine Spectator website.
I figured we'd have a half dozen, maybe ten participants.
I was required to create a name. I thought about it for ten seconds... Oh, Bordeaux... Wine... Enthusiasts.
I pressed the mouse key and... genesis.

I remain in awe of what has occurred since that morning back in February 2000.
Now entering into our twentieth year, Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts remains by far the best wine web site on the internet.

I thank all BWEers around the globe, past and present, for your many profound contributions.
The friendships created here have been life-changing.

And so... Without further ado, as per annual custom, the initial primordial thread between me and Whuzzup__ on that cold February morning, from nineteen years ago:

Recommend Delete Message 1 of 1 in Discussion

I have created this community on 2/26/00 in the hope that I can get at least 10-20 Bordeaux enthusiasts to keep a lively discussion going on a weekly basis. I was very frustrated when Wine Spectator changed the format of their bulletin boards. We had a good community of Bordeaux "experts" under the old Wine Spectator system who came on board regularly and offered a lot of information on tasting notes, where to find deals, etc. For some reason, the editors at WS changed to a much less user-friendly system and they have arrogantly ignored our requests to go back to the old format. If we can get some of the old participants to visit here, and work out any kinks along the way to improve this site, I am convinced we can generate some of the old enthusiasm. Time will tell....

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 1 in Discussion

Hey JimHow. I am in full support. I have tried some interesting wines lately. When I have a little time this weekend I will post some notes. Thanks for taking the initiative. Ben

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 1 in Discussion

Great to see you here, Ben. I'm really game to give this a try. I'll be posting some tasting notes as well this weekend. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated greatly. Thanks, Jim.

Recommend Delete Message 4 of 1 in Discussion

Got a question for ya: I like to share TNs with you guys on non- Bordeaux wines from time to time. I figure we all have similar palates so that if I run into something I like I should share... is it ok to break out of the Bordeaux topic from time to time?

Recommend Delete Message 5 of 1 in Discussion

Of course you can write about anything, Ben, I always look forward to your comments. At this point, as we're just getting started, I'm looking for as much discussion as possible....I've got some essays in my word processor that I'm trying to figure out how to get to this site. I've got a lot of ideas on how we can improve this site, I just want to get to know it better. But by all means, give us your notes on California or anything else.... Thanks, Jim.JimHow
DavidG

Re: Happy 19th Birthday to Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts!

Post by DavidG »

BWE has matured wonderfully. Congrats Jim and happy birthday to BWE!
stefan

Post by stefan »

It has been a great run. Congratulations, Jim, and see you at BWE-Denver!
William P

Post by William P »

To quote a local band,

What a long, strange trip it's been.

Happy Birthday BWE.
tim

Post by tim »

Happy Birthday BWE! Amazing experiences, great friendships, and a camaraderie that is often missing from wine sites!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Bon Anniversaire BWE!

Look forward to catching up with many of you in Denver!

Now that it looks like Brexit will be delayed I can rest easier and enjoy my vacation!

P.S. pound at $1.32 and rising...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy birthday Bordeaux Wine Enthusiasts.

A superb journey into the best wines in the World, with the best people that exist!

I feel priviledge to have meet many BWEers past, present, and I hope future.

Many memories, crazy, noble, fun, friendly, passionate, international.... thanks to you all.

Nic
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Boy, you're old! Congrats!
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Old enough to be drafted and to now drink in the non-Québécois provinces in Canada!
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

It's been a great run and echo peoples sentiments. Many many great memories and friendships have spun out of BWE and can only say thank you to Jim for the original idea and to everyone else for making it a reality. Enjoy BWE 2019 in Denver and sorry we'll miss it. Looks like a fabulous event in the making.
Danny
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Well done Jim on creating a viable forum for bordeaux lovers to bring their voice. HBD!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Jim & fellow BWErs,

I have been noticing that Jim has been sending this yearly greeting about the founding of this site...I have been thinking about this yearly occasion...

I suggest there should be a wine theme for BWE's birthday each year. BWErs can open something based on the selected theme. For example, the theme could be a vintage, chateau or region. I understand that not everyone might be able to meet the selected theme, but being close enough to the theme would suffice. For example, if vintage is the theme, vintage or close enough vintage is good. If chateau is the theme, the same chateau or chateau of the same commune. If commune/region is the theme that's good as well. Or maybe even broad themes such as white burgs/white bordeaux is all good...

Jim could mention the theme in his annual greetings and BWErs can carry out the theme the following weekend....

Well, just a suggestion...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I like your spirit, CV, you have been a great BWEer.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I really like CV’s tasting suggestion and think it would be great fun if we were able to come to a joint decision on a wine to sample and if 10 or 15 of us each tasted said wine on the same night (or around the same time) and then posted a note on it.
jal

Post by jal »

We used to do virtual tastings on the old MSN site.
That died after the very mediocre 1999 Cantenac Brown (or was it the Brane Cantenac?) for some reason.
Widening the scope sounds like a good idea.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha, indeed, Jacques, it was the Brane Cantenac, I believe.
It was in a pretty bad place that night.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Hey, can y’all give me a list of the locations of the first 19 BWE conventions?

Stu
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think so...
I think I might have one or two off:

2001: Chicago
2002: Napa
2003: NYC
2004: Chicago
2005: Bordeaux
2006: Sonoma
2007: Washington, DC
2008: Chicago
2009: Miami
2010: Washington, DC
2011: San Fransisco
2012: Washington, DC
2013: Dallas
2014: Washington, DC
2015: Bordeaux
2016: Washington, DC
2017: San Fransisco
2018: Washington, DC
2019: Denver
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

jckba wrote:I really like CV’s tasting suggestion and think it would be great fun if we were able to come to a joint decision on a wine to sample and if 10 or 15 of us each tasted said wine on the same night (or around the same time) and then posted a note on it.
I like this idea too. See if we can get a few people posting at the same time on the same wine. There’s a chat room on this site. I don’t know if we’ve used it or how well it works. It might be just as well to have a group tasting thread open that would keep all our comments on the site.