Mature Bdx @ Lenny’s North 2/27

jckba

Mature Bdx @ Lenny’s North 2/27

Post by jckba »

Got together with a smaller than normal group of friends last night for some dry aged steaks and mature Bdx right off I684 at Lenny’s North in Armonk, NY after half the group bailed for one reason or another. Anyways we still had a nice lineup and here were my quick take impressions;

2005 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc - served ice cold and I think that helped as this btl showed differently than the one I brought when Ian was in town last fall; citrus, stones and some unresolved oak poking through on the nose which gave way to a rich, oily textured palate (92-94 points)
1974 Latour - was a treat to taste as the bottle was sound but it was clearly past prime and tasted like old wine with its cherry and mushroom driven profile and faded relatively quickly (85-88 points)
1985 Beychevelle - a beautiful nose of earthy barnyard, cedar and leather scents with a fully resolved lightness on the palate that was just sublime. This btl was firing on all cylinders and was WOTN by a country mile (95-97 points)
1989 Beychevelle - ripe dark fruited and earthy nose that lead way to much of the same in the palate. This was on par with the ‘89 Gruaud but was dwarfed by the showing of the ‘85 that it was served alongside (91-93 points)
1989 Ducru Beaucaillou - flawed, TCA infected; a shame (rating reserved)
1989 Gruaud Larose - clean bottle with no funk, but was very good with ripe, dark fruited, leather and cigar box on both the nose and sleek palate (91-93 points)
2005 Climens - The nose soared from the glass with marmalade, honey, apricot that followed through on the sweet, rich, expansive palate that carried good acidity (94-96 points)

Closing thoughts, Bdx nights are always a lot of fun!
Attachments
The lineup
The lineup
CFFD0298-16E8-41E5-A5C5-20BDC1B93119.jpeg (96.94 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Last edited by jckba on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Re: Mature Bdx @ Lenny’s North 2/27

Post by Blanquito »

The 85 Beychevelle has been a personal favorite since I got a 4 bottle stash from MacArthur’s 5 years ago... for $55/bottle.

Those prices are long gone it seems. :(
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Thanks for posting your notes. I'm not surprised by the showing of 1985 Beychevelle - many 1985s (La Mission, Lynch Bages and Cos d'Estounel just few examples) are in beautiful place right now. Also not surprised by the corked Ducru, a very high percentage Ducru from the late 80s were corked. Although 1974 was a pretty bad year for Bordeaux, Latour (and La Mission and Trotanoy) were very good. I have always enjoyed 2005 Climens - wonderful stuff.

Chris Bublitz
jal

Post by jal »

Very nice, I only remember the Gruaud Larose of all those. I may have had the two Beychevelles but really neither left much of a mark.
I love Climens.
I had dinner at that location in another life:
http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... onk#p18991
Best

Jacques
jckba

Post by jckba »

Patrick - that’s a pretty awesome score and if your btls are even remotely close to this one, then I think you fully understand the treats that you are in store for!
Chris - would love to make it to one of those Panos verticals in DC but if you are ever up this way in the tristate area, drop me a line
Jacques - pretty funny that you guys frequented some of the same spots that I do now a days and sheesh, that was one stellar lineup you guys had on your table!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thank you for reporting on a Bordeaux from my birthyear (1974).

The Beychevelle look very good, especially the 1985. Seems to me that Gruaud Larose, from 1978 to 1990, has no fault.

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

We should do something together JC, we’re in nyc this weekend but it’s pretty hectic. We’ll be back in April. I’ll touch base beforehand and we’ll try to put something on the calendar. An old BWE alum and a good friend, Giovanni, just opened a restaurant in New Rochelle called Maria, maybe we can meet there.
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Nice lineup. Too bad about the Ducru though.

My offline group is having a Pichon Baron vertical dinner at Avert in West Hartford on Sunday, May 5th. (There's currently room for 2-3 more.)
I've got the 2014 vintage covered. :D
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Nice. Not surprised at the 89 Ducru showing as that was in the period that claimed no problem, only to change out the wood in the Chai a year later. TCA all over the place.
Bordhead2000

Post by Bordhead2000 »

2005 Smith Haut Lafitte Blanc - served ice cold and I think that helped as this btl showed differently than the one I brought when Ian was in town last fall; citrus, stones and some unresolved oak poking through on the nose which gave way to a rich, oily textured palate (92-94 points)
I've had two bottles of this recently, and they were great. I let mine warm in a decanter for an hour or two while drinking them. I loved the pear, pineapple, oaky flavors and very long finish.