TN: 98 Lafleur Gazin [Pomerol]

AKR

TN: 98 Lafleur Gazin [Pomerol]

Post by AKR »

98 Lafleur Gazin [Pomerol] I've had this since release but didn't realize I had one left, having assumed I'd finished them up by age 10 or 12. Somehow this one got by. There are not many authentic French places left in our city, but a friend tried a new one this week, and rec'd it to us. So this Pomerol was summoned and we went to Brasserie Capitale, on quiet, wet Friday night. Capsule wasn't spinning, but the cork extracted cleanly, and looked good. The color is mature, a little softening of the hue at the edges, and a nose of incense and baking spices. It didn't get decanted but seemed to open up a little over the course of dinner. (We had a beet salad, pate, duck breast, and scallops). It has an excellent texture, very smooth, no tannin, a good example of how Bordeaux changes with enough time. On downside, I thought the concentration/fruit felt a bit weaker than in the past. The earthy finish was just average, esp compared to other 95 and 98 Pomerols consumed in the last few years. The last experiences with the estate were an 82 and 08 in the last year or so, and this was better than those. Of the 98, 99, 00 trilogy -- the last time I bought more than a bottle of a vintage - this one is the best. But all should be drunk up by now. I remember an earlier BWE conventions sitting next to Mike Case and his SO, and he'd brought some of this, when young, and it was so vibrant then. This bottle brought back memories of that; I hope life has been good to him.

We drank too much of this and should have sent the last glass back to the Chef, except our energetic server poured it for us. The wine gets a B+ and if one has any left, drink up. The restaurant gets an A-, and I look forward to adding Brasserie Capitale to the dining rotation. Stemware and food are good; $20 corkage. Free parking in the evening, a rarity downtown. Obligatory food pix:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rH1rmhw778ogBghv9
stefan

Re: TN: 98 Lafleur Gazin [Pomerol]

Post by stefan »

I agree with your description, Arv. Your recommendation to "drink up" is not intended for many of us, I presume. IMO there is no need to hurry finishing these if you like Bordeaux in its tertiary phase, which mine are entering (they are probably stored at a warmer temperature-62 to 65- than yours).