White Burgundy from a red vineyard.

Claudius2

White Burgundy from a red vineyard.

Post by Claudius2 »

Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Clos St Jean Monopole (rouge) Chateau Maltroye 2009.
I am finding that despite their youth, 09 and 10 red Burgundies are delightful now. The 09's offer darker fruit characters in general, and I have had both vintages of this wine. I prefer the 09 for the moment.

When you say Chassagne Montrachet, it is fair to assume the wine is white.
This wine in fact tastes like a theoretic cross of both, with the minerality, acidity and mouthfeel of a white Burgundy, meshed with red fruits, musky, spicy characters and a touch of herb.
The oak plays more of a role on the nose, showing toast, vanilla and cedar, though it does not over-power the red fruits on the palate.
It isn't a great Burgundy but is an interesting wine that is easy to drink and has a long, linear aftertaste.
Good with Chinese pork (and wine really struggles with it most of the time).
AlexR

Re: White Burgundy from a red vineyard.

Post by AlexR »

Mark,

Didn't you mean, um, er, red Burgundy from a white vineyard? ;-)

My friend Jean-Marc Pillot makes an excellent red wine in Chassagne-Montrachet (Clos Saint Jean). He was formerly president of the appellation.
His feeling is that Chassagne has always produced some reds, that the tradition should not die out, and that certain terroirs are better suited to Pinot Noir than Chardonnay. Therefore he, and others, will continue to make red wines, even if this is not the wisest decision financially.

It's nice to know that money doesn't mean *everything* :-).

Best regards,
Alex R.
jal

Post by jal »

The only red Chassagne I have tried was a 2008 Ramonet. It was underwhelming to say the least. I'll stick to traditional Bourgogne, more to my taste.
Best

Jacques
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I guess La Piece Sous le Bois has always been used for pinot noir but it is tucked into the more or less all chardonnay Mersault village (or Mersault-Blagny). The Joseph Matrot was excellent.
felixp21

Post by felixp21 »

The Pillot boys all make pretty decent red wines in Chassagne. Laurent's Morgeot in 2015 is a beautiful little wine, and a tremendous value. Well worth seeking out.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Alex
I think I was standing on my head at the time.....
I've even had a few red Burgs from Puligny Montrachet made by Dom. Jean Chartron. It was even more minerally and slaty than the Maltroye CM.

By the way, I am still dirty about the randoxed white Burgs I bought from JM Pillot from the 1999 vintage. But maybe time to forget it.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I think a third of the production in Chassgne Montrachet is red and I think it was higher in the past. The rouge is a bit unloved and under-rated perhaps because it often needs aging. I have some 2014 Bruno Colin Chassagne rouge VV which is excellent, but v young.