2009 Chateau Cantemerle

Nicklasss

2009 Chateau Cantemerle

Post by Nicklasss »

Opened last night for a friend's birthday. Only had a glass but this was my best bottle of 2009 Cantemerle up to now. Dark color, fragrant nose of purplr fruits, blackcurrants, spices, and wood. Intense nose. Mouth was having everything we like in Cantemerle, with the light blackcurrants, strong blackberries, flowers and oak tones. Medium to high power in mouth, stay balance in a Cantemerle style. It was drinking perfectly, with the long semi-rich fruit finish. Abundant ripe tannins, good body, i thought that for the price, this was miles ahead of the 2015 Blason d'Issan or Croix Ducru-Beaucaillou. Cantemerle stays affordable for a Cru Classé. Not in shape to defeat the Second Growth or Palmer or Lynch or Pontet Canet, but a very nice claret that is today in a very good shape, better than some otherhigh tones names". Cantemerle is like a "Chateau du Tertre" from Haut-Médoc aoc. And i respect that. Tn: 92.

I still think the 2010 is better, but that 2009 last night was more powerful (nose and mouth) but less complete/complex. Time should help.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: 2009 Chateau Cantemerle

Post by JimHow »

Nice. Let's face it, this is just a great Bordeaux estate, that produces great quality year after year at very reasonable prices.
A former BWE wine of the year.
The point that you made yesterday is a good one: This wine costs a fraction of a lot of second labels, but consistently blows them away year after year.
It is on my buy list every year.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Snapped up a couple of these at auction this week. They weren't a 'bargain' necessarily but seemed a fair price, $65 (NZ), so what's that $40 (US)? Popped one open and these are drinking beautifully right now.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I drank through my half case of this in no time after opening the first one in 2017. Couldn’t agree more. Should have bought more.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Nicklasss wrote:...
I still think the 2010 is better,
...Nic
I have 3 bottles of the 2010 in my cellar. The first will likely get opened sometime in 2020.
I've been enjoying the 2015 Cantemerle from 375 occasionally for the past 2 years.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

It’s number 3 in my top 3 bordeaux QPRs, right behind Sociando and Lanessan. Classic breeding, and long-lived. While we are talking about young wines in this thread, never forget that this wine can go the distance. I had some 1975s last year out of 375 that were smokin. Had some 82, 89 and 90 as well. I think 2009 and especially 2010 will go long distances, and glad to have quite a few. Have not popped a bottle since release, sounds like I should check in on the 09. La Louviere was my top 4, but they have now gone rogue. Gloria is on my top 5 but I do not have enough of it stocked away.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My top 5 QPR in Bordeaux:
1. Sociando
2. Cantemerle
3. du Tertre
4. La Lagune (would be higher if cheaper)
5. Gloria

I like Lanessan and it’s hard to argue with the price, but I really have only been wowed by the 09.

Other cru bourgeois used to be higher on my list, but I outgrew them and/or they changed style too much for my preference.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Did you try or buy the 2014 Lanessan? Cut from the same cloth as 2009.

Just so we are clear, I think Cantemerle is a better wine, and I buy them both, but when I can get Lanessan for sub-$20, I ranks higher as a pure QPR.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Lanessan seems to be a popular BWE QPR, but I must admit, I’m obviously bit of an outlier (or at the very least ‘undecided’) with this one. I tried the 2014 and liked it enough to pop some in the cellar - but my thing with Lanessan is that upon opening, it is oddly very ‘new world’ to me and takes quite a bit of time (up to a day sometimes) to open up and reveal itself to be a Bordeaux. Maybe it’s just me…

For what its worth my top QPRs (not in any particular order) are:
1) Sociando
2) Poujeaux
3) Lilian Ladouys
4) Haut Bergery (though I haven’t tried any for a while)
5) Cantemerle

And one completely from left field – Marquis de Calon (now Le Marquis de Calon Segur), Calon Segurs second wine. Appreciate second wines can be a bit hit and miss, but I had the 2009 recently and I didn’t want the bottle to end! At circa $45 (NZ) it’s an absolute steal and a regular in my cellar.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Blanquito wrote:My top 5 QPR in Bordeaux:
4. La Lagune (would be higher if cheaper)
I had the 2011 La Lagune just the other week and it was sensational! Unfortunately, it is no longer a QPR in NZ – there is one bottle of the 2016 left over here, selling for $140! Yikes!
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

Meyney and La Lagune are the best qpr for me and I find La Lagune to be better wine than Cantemerle. Meyney is a steal for the money, especially in recent vintages.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Not tried the 14 Lanessan, will add that to the to-do list along with the 14 Sociando.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ll vouch for the 2014 Lanessan and have the better half of a case remaining. At this stage I’m inclined to spend more for a better wine like Meyney or Cantemerle even when looking for inexpensive QPRs. Especially if backfilling older vintages cuz, you know, I’m done buying young Bordeaux.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Ianjaig wrote:Lanessan seems to be a popular BWE QPR, but I must admit, I’m obviously bit of an outlier (or at the very least ‘undecided’) with this one. I tried the 2014 and liked it enough to pop some in the cellar - but my thing with Lanessan is that upon opening, it is oddly very ‘new world’ to me and takes quite a bit of time (up to a day sometimes) to open up and reveal itself to be a Bordeaux. Maybe it’s just me…

For what its worth my top QPRs (not in any particular order) are:
1) Sociando
2) Poujeaux
3) Lilian Ladouys
4) Haut Bergery (though I haven’t tried any for a while)
5) Cantemerle

And one completely from left field – Marquis de Calon (now Le Marquis de Calon Segur), Calon Segurs second wine. Appreciate second wines can be a bit hit and miss, but I had the 2009 recently and I didn’t want the bottle to end! At circa $45 (NZ) it’s an absolute steal and a regular in my cellar.
Is that comment based on the 2015 and 2016 vintages of Lanessan? That's when Bouard became involved with his estate. Haut Bergey and Poujeaux (since its sale to Cuvelier in 2008) are pretty modern to me. Lanessan is about as classic as Bordeaux gets, IMHO. And it’s one of those beautiful Crus that can age for 25+ years and do some really pretty things when at apogee.

I know there is a lot of love for Meyney on this Board, and I respect the opinions here, so need to circle back to try some recent vintages. I felt this estate started turning when it sold around 2005, and then Bouard came on board for the 2014 vintage.

Haut Bergey has always been glossy, modern to me, and a recent 2000 and 2001 did not show well to me. I think these modern darlings are early drinkers, but perhaps thats just me.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

And if one finds the 00 and 01 Haut Bergey overly modern, beware the 05!
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

OrlandoRobert wrote: Is that comment based on the 2015 and 2016 vintages of Lanessan? That's when Bouard became involved with his estate. Haut Bergey and Poujeaux (since its sale to Cuvelier in 2008) are pretty modern to me.
No, the 2014 - but which did change significantly over time and did a complete 180. I gave a bottle to a friend who had the same initial experience. Looking at my tasting notes, the 08 & 16 I liked straight away however, (the 10 less so strangely).

The last Poujeaux I had was an 2005 and Haut Bergey an 07, so perhaps I'm in for bit of a shock when I open up my newer vintages.
Cheers.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Actually, you are likely right on the 2010. That Lanessan was hard as nails out of the box, I stuck it in deep cellar.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I cracked open a case of the 2010 and resealed the case after tasting. I had to thin the wine with filtered water to drink it.
brodway

Post by brodway »

2016 Cantemerle is still trading in the low 30's. Is it worth aging?