BWE 2019 - Friday & Saturday Dinner Logistics

Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

For reasons both luxurious and practical, the BWE 2019 Denver Planning Committee opted to rent out private event spaces and contract with caterers to provide the food and service for both Friday and Saturday nights. Doing this allows us to obtain spacious, attractive, BYOB-friendly event spaces without time or space constraints, and to design custom menus which pair with great Bordeaux while conforming with the many allergies and food preferences inevitable in such large groups.

Both event spaces have balconies with terrific views of the Rockies mountains and the city skyline where we can enjoy champagne and hors d'oeuvres before settling down for dinner. These event spaces also showcase some of the hip, historic neighborhoods that Denver is famous for, just a short Uber/Lyft ride from the Grand Hyatt in the downtown area. Below are the details on the location and menu for each night...

FRIDAY NIGHT
The Anything But Bordeaux event will take place in Maglione Hall (see photo below) on the beautiful DU campus.
-ADDRESS: 5th floor, Sie Complex, Korbel Hall, 2201 S Gaylord St, Denver, CO 80210.
-DIRECTIONS: Maglione Hall is the 5th floor (the top one) of Korbel Hall, and the Sie Complex is the northwest corner of Korbel Hall! Once in Korbel Hall, take the elevator to the 5th floor. Maglione Hall is the entire 5th floor. There will be a sign in the lobby next to the buttons for the elevator saying "Welcome BWE 2019". Here's a dropped pin of the NW corner of Korbel Hall: https://goo.gl/maps/awwP2rYHq5R2
Korbel Hall has is an old building attached to a new brick building; we’re in the new brick building. Pic of new building here: https://images.app.goo.gl/xcYZdDp3jqY3QuU98
... In Google Maps on your phone, Korbel Hall ("Josef Korbel School of International Studies") is labeled once zoomed in. And clicking on that dropped pin above will open that exact location in the app as well... When you open the Uber App, enter "Korbel Hall" and the Uber app auto-suggests "Josef Korbel School of International Studies"-- click on that, as that it correct. Note: the car cannot drive right up to Korbel Hall-- there is a parking lot a couple of hundred feet from the NW entrance where the car will let you out.
-ARRIVE: 5:30 for champagne and passed hors d’oeuvres. Dinner served at 6:30ish.
Food and service provided by Elevated Catering: https://www.yelp.com/biz/elevated-catering-denver
-MENU
Butler Served Hors d’Oeuvres
-Duck Confit Canapé, served on house baked apple chip, nutmeg scented crème fraiche
-Smoked Trout, dark rye, sour cream, pickled onion, caviar pop
-Salmon Stuffed Blintz, topped with chive and tobiko
Salad Course
-Hearth Loaves, fresh baked bread served warm from the oven with citrus compound butter
-Strawberry Salad, fresh field greens, toasted almonds, sliced strawberries, feta cheese, white balsamic vinaigrette
Main Course (choice of one)
-Coffee Rubbed Steak Filet, coffee and herb rubbed tender filet of beef served with chipotle aioli, and cherry cabernet demiglace served with creamy polenta and grilled asparagus
-Steelhead Trout, pan seared ocean-going trout with white wine & tarragon served with wild rice pilaf and grilled asparagus
-Vegan Option: Hearty Cassoulet, slow cooked classic bean stew recipe, vegan bacon, fresh herbs, rainbow kale, grilled asparagus
Dessert
-Crème Brûlée

SATURDAY NIGHT
This 1989 Bordeaux Grand Event will take place in Denver's arty-warehouse RiNo District at Catalyst.
-ADDRESS: 3513 Brighton Blvd, Denver, CO 80216.
-DIRECTIONS: Event Space, take elevator to top floor of Catalyst. Enter on Brighton Blvd side of building. Here’s a pin dropped on the balcony at Catalyst: https://goo.gl/maps/qBXxfBXAMzx
-ARRIVE: 5:30 for champagne and passed hors d’oeuvres. Dinner served at 6:30ish.
Food and service provided by TBD Catering: https://www.yelp.com/biz/tbd-foods-pers ... d+catering
-MENU
Hor D’oeuvres
-Blini – smoked slamon, crème fraiche, dill
-Mushroom Pate – aged duck, chives, cheddar crisps
-Short Rib Caramels – cabbage wrapper, memphis BBQ
Starter Course
-Gnocchi– smoked salmon, crème fraiche, dill
-Roasted Beet Salad– aged duck, chives, cheddar crisps
Main Course (choice of one)
-Dry Aged Steak
-Lemon + Herb Chicken
-Roasted Black Cod
All served with vegetable risotto, glazed vegetables, red wine demi glace
Dessert
-Chocolate + Strawberries – mousse, flourless cake, strawberries + syrup

Catalyst Event Space (top) and Maglione Hall (bottom)
Attachments
5A2CD8CF-1C30-4E14-AD10-23BDBF497616.jpeg
5A2CD8CF-1C30-4E14-AD10-23BDBF497616.jpeg (111.94 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
IMG_1506.JPG
IMG_1506.JPG (122.35 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Last edited by Blanquito on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
JimHow

Re: BWE 2019 - Friday & Saturday Dinner Logistics

Post by JimHow »

Baby doll.
Wow!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds fabulous!
Start times?
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

DavidG wrote:Start times?
5:30p both days (added above as well)
AKR

Post by AKR »

Great looking pictures. I heard the city got hit with the equivalent of a "CAT2" storm.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Cool! I can already feel that it will be awesome. Keep the couchs, it could be useful for a power nap during the evening, or if the "to old to buy new Bordeaux vintage anymore persons" want to discuss why they are too old to buy any 2017 and 2018... :twisted:

Nic

P.s. Sorry, i wasn't sure of the translation of "oldster" when I first wrote it.
Last edited by Nicklasss on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I can drink you under the table, Nicola, with or without a gallbladder.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

This could get messy...
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

JimHow wrote:I can drink you under the table, Nicola, with or without a gallbladder.
To prove what? If you really want to compete Jim, do 3 kids and take care of themselve for their first 24 years of life... drinking is nothing! :o

Nic

P.s. Age is just a number, nobody old to me.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

To prove that we don't need power naps, of course, as you said in your previous note.
Ah yes, the obligatory "I have children I'm very busy" argument, like the rest of us don't have busy lives.
I'll let you manage my 100 criminal clients for a week.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JimHow wrote:I'll let you manage my 100 criminal clients for a week.
This sounds a lot like parenting.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jim, if you could just manage the criminal in the Oval Office, I’d be happy.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Ok Jim, I,m sorry. I only have 3 kids, not realizing you were living with 100 criminals. Hope it doesn't get too mesy at home!

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’m sure that this little spat is nothing that some 1989 Lynch Bages and Purple Baron can’t solve.

Really looking forward to Denver! I’ve got my priorities straight: my 2 free checked bags will contain wine and my carry-on will have my clothes. Of course if they allowed it the wine would stay in the cabin with me and the clothes, which are expendable, would take the risk of being lost en route. BWI-DEN is nonstop so minimal worries.
stefan

Post by stefan »

David, we are driving to IAH to take a nonstop flight to DEN just to minimize the chances of our WineKaddy not taking the trip with us. I also could do without clothes--after all, replacements can be bought easily--but it would be a disaster if our wine did not make it.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David/Stefan,

Always a huge risk checking any bag with or without wine. I've had so many things taken from my bag over the years including wine,belts,sunglasses,etc let alone bags and golf clubs checked and never to be found again makes us incredibly leery about checking a bag if you don't have to. Never checked a whole case of wine mainly out of fear of breakage and theft even when travelling within the country. Too big a hassle including duty charges to take it across border beyond 6 bottles. I hope there are no mishaps for anyone along the way. Just hope flights aren't cancelled delayed for everyone because of this Boeing 737 Max 8 grounding around the world screwing up flight schedules!!

Looking to live vicariously once again through others posts from afar this time around and wish everyone a great time.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have been luckier, Danny, but every time we fly with fancy wine my systolic goes up 50.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yeah, sorry to hear of your travails Danny. I’m fortunate to have never had anything go missing or get broken. I’ve heard enough tales of missing bottles so I know it happens.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

In all of the 100+ times I've checked wine, I've never lost a bottle nor had my box delayed, lost, damaged, etc. Sounds like I've been lucky.

But like Stefan, I can't really relax again until I see the box come out on the baggage belt at the end.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I don’t relax until I open it to cofirm it all made it intact.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When I brought my 3L of 1989 Lynch to the Chicago convention a few years back I had it bubble wrapped in my suitcase. They had cut it out of the bubble wrap and it was just bouncing around in my suitcase by the time I landed in Chicago.
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

I just looked the picture and the menu!

Wow ! That’s going to be EPIC.

I take my hat off to our host! Great job

JeanFred
Cabfan

Post by Cabfan »

Good Lord this looks fabulous. This represents so much hard work. Thank you thank you. This logistics page is super helpful.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Re: Friday - is it “Maglione Hall” or “Korbel Hall”? Are they both the same address?

Stu
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good question, Stu. Maglione Hall is the 5th floor (the top one) of Korbel Hall, and the Sie Complex is the northwest corner of Korbel Hall! Naming rights are especially important at private universities.

The main thing is once you’ve entered Korbel Hall, take the elevator to the 5th floor. Maglione Hall is the entire 5th floor.

Here’s a dropped pin of the NW corner of Korbel Hall:
https://goo.gl/maps/awwP2rYHq5R2

I added this info above and I’d do the same for the Saturday event at Catalyst.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Thanks, Patrick, hoping Uber-man knows how to find Korbel Hall.

Stu
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ok, a few more navigational suggestions... If everyone has Google Maps on their phones, Korbel Hall ("Josef Korbel School of International Studies") is marked clearly once zoomed in. And clicking on that dropped pin above will open that exact location in the app as well.

When you open the Uber app, enter "Korbel Hall" and the Uber app auto-suggests "Josef Korbel School of International Studies"-- click on that, as that it correct.

Note: the car cannot drive right up to Korbel Hall-- there is a parking lot a couple of hundred feet from the NW entrance where the car will let you out.