Five delicious young wines at family birthday party.

JimHow

Five delicious young wines at family birthday party.

Post by JimHow »

Well, last night we gathered for lobster and wine to celebrate my nephew Jack's sixteenth birthday.
The four wines I brought were all absolutely delicious.

2003 Pontet Canet: This was my last bottle from 750 ml format, and it may have been the best showing of them all. This bottle at least had evolved past the awkward stage this wine has been in for several years. It was "firing on all cylinders," aromatic, smooth, all the beautiful Pauillac notes of cedar, cassis, even some leather and tobacco. To me it is right at its peak right now at... age 16. A beauty, worthy of its designation as a BWE Wine of the Year: 96 points.

2012 La Fleur De Bouard: Man, this 2012 just never disappoints. It is ALWAYS a crowd favorite, fruity, upfront, young, but not tannic. Purple/black in color. I've always been stunned by the sheer joy this wine brings. Don't overthink it, just drink it! GREAT QPR. Does anyone know how the 2016 is showing out there? Rating: 94 points.

2012 Barde Haut: More of the same as the La Fleur de Bouard, except a bit heavier and perhaps more closed up. Still, everything else is in place from that beautiful right bank 2012 vintage. Rating: 93 points.

2015 Jadot Beaune Premier Cru: This wine was the first to be emptied by the hard shell lobster eating group. This is a pure, drinking-well-now beauty that will rival the 2005. Perhaps just a hair less tannic than the 2005. I bought six at $50 each, I know, it's expensive, but I'm going to buy another half dozen. Rating: 93 points.

2015 Latour Martillac: We ran out of wine with the first four, so I went out and pulled out this beauty. I liked this a lot more than the first time I had it last year. It is a serious effort. Wish I had bought more, I think I have one bottle left. Great ripe fruit, a nice Graves experience, this will be very nice between years 10-20. Loved it. Rating: 92 points.

A great night!
Attachments
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg (96.1 KiB) Viewed 485 times
JCNorthway

Re: Five delicious young wines at family birthday party.

Post by JCNorthway »

Sounds like a great evening of wine and family celebration. Is there a designation on the Jadot, or just "premier cru"? I would like to get a few 2015 Burgs at less than outrageous prices, and this sounds like a good option.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Jadot Premier Cru Celebration, Jon, it's one of those bottlings they've been doing where they mix the grapes from different vineyards.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Here is a nice vinous post relating to this release of the Jadot 1er Cru Celebration;

https://www.vinous.com/articles/cellar- ... n-mar-2018
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice selection Jim. I'm sure you're right about these 2012 RB.

Nic