Bottles opened in absentia

Racer Chris

Bottles opened in absentia

Post by Racer Chris »

For those of us who would like to be at the BWE '19 convention but could not attend, post your tributory bottle openings here.

Tonight I picked the 2012 Haut Bergey, one of the BD's fav's.
Bordhead2000

Re: Bottles opened in absentia

Post by Bordhead2000 »

I did a 2007 Chateau Malartic Lagraviere Blanc. It had strong mineral, herbal, and almost medicinal aromas and flavors. Very Graves-y. Of course, I loved it. Decanted it while the wife and I shared the bottle.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Alas, I was at home too sitting comfortably in front of the TV watching some NCAA semifinal action with a few Lawson’s Sip of Sunshine, though, I can definitely tell you exactly where I would rather have been!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Last night for my "Anything but Bordeaux" dinner I opened a 2015 Ramos Pinto Douro Tinto - Duas Quintas. Medium full bodied, youthful, red fruited, smooth tannins. I found it easy to drink before dinner and it went nicely with my cheeseburger and French fries. A pleasure to drink, and a bargain at $15.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

For Saturday night I picked out my oldest (earliest purchase), and most ready to drink bottle, and from a vintage ending in 9:
The 2009 Chateau Larrivet Haut Brion. I have better 2009s but nothing I'd open anytime soon, or for dinner at home.
The accompanying dinner was homemade pizza - 1) asparagus & prosciutto with olive oil, garlic, red pepper and mozzarella, and 2) potato/bacon/broccoli with sundried tomato, sour cream and cheddar cheese.
I opened a bottle of this a year and a half ago and this one was consistent in character, showing minimal evolution in that time.
Somewhat like a mid level California cabernet versus a Pessac-Leognan. Enjoyable but not showing much complexity. I would say better to lay down for a few more years.
The pizza was excellent, and better than the wine last night.
Claret

Post by Claret »

95 Sociando Mallet was in fine form
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Well done. You were with us there in spirit!
Bordhead2000

Post by Bordhead2000 »

Racer Chris wrote:For Saturday night I picked out...The 2009 Chateau Larrivet Haut Brion. I have better 2009s...I opened a bottle of this a year and a half ago and this one was consistent in character, showing minimal evolution in that time.
... Enjoyable but not showing much complexity. I would say better to lay down for a few more years.
The pizza was excellent, and better than the wine last night.
Hi Racer Chris,

Unbelievably, I opened this exact same wine on Saturday night and poured into a glass for a quick nose/taste. I didn't like the nose at first. It seemed ripe, like the grapes may have been on the vine for a little too long. It wasn't raisin-y, but I was concerned. The first sip brought mild acidity, plenty of sweetness, and a nice spicy note in the finish. I decided to decant it for a couple hours before going back to the well. When I came back, the nose had evolved into something truly pleasing: pencil shavings, graphite, deep dark berries. The taste had evolved as well, though it faded again after another hour. The wine became thin and not impressive. Perhaps I decanted it for too long, or perhaps it would have evolved again. You mentioned laying it down for a few more years. I'm not sure that would help...but there is only one way to find out 8-)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, BH. Hey I notice you took down your blog site, feel free to put it back up.
I'm convinced your legit!
Bordhead2000

Post by Bordhead2000 »

JimHow wrote:Well done, BH. Hey I notice you took down your blog site, feel free to put it back up.
I'm convinced your legit!
Thank you Jim! I appreciate you!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for your participation on BWE, I enjoy your enthusiasm!
tiesface

Post by tiesface »

Good idea! Not planned - I had a 2015 PLL and a 2007 Travaglini Gattinara Riserva Saturday.

The Pichon Lalande has settled in very nicely, and it has noticeably calmed down from the first bottles opened a year ago. I detected quite ripe fruit when opened a year ago (I was a little concerned tbh), but you're already getting a better sense of the graphite, pencil, violets, refreshing acidity to balance, etc. after a year in the cellar. This is going to be really good in time, albeit in a riper style than the 80s-90s. Will need the customary 15+ before the secondary shows and it is truly in the drinking window, but I like to try the first of my allotment as they age and before they shut down. Still very enjoyable as a baby.

The Gattinara was lovely - very elegant style, a strong notch in quality above a Langhe nebbiolo, without the power and alcohol of a Barolo from the same vintage.

I've been lurking long enough at this point - I think I am going to jump in and try to make the Convention next year! Schedule should be much better for me in 2020 as well.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We'd love to have you, tiesface!
It's a very friendly group.
tiesface

Post by tiesface »

JimHow wrote:We'd love to have you, tiesface!
It's a very friendly group.
Thanks, Jim. I greatly appreciate the openness and welcoming nature of the group.

I don't have many 80s and 90s backfills in the cellar anymore (I'm a young guy - 32!), but I have a ton of 2014s-2016s to contribute as science experiments, if they're wanted.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

2016 Chateau Carmarsac....yes I'm a cheap bastard but this is great stuff for the tariff
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Tiesface, I was 32 when I joined BWE as well!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

robert goulet wrote:2016 Chateau Carmarsac....yes I'm a cheap bastard but this is great stuff for the tariff
I was surprised by how much I liked the 2015, and the 2016 may be even better.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks, Jim. I greatly appreciate the openness and welcoming nature of the group.

I don't have many 80s and 90s backfills in the cellar anymore (I'm a young guy - 32!), but I have a ton of 2014s-2016s to contribute as science experiments, if they're wanted.
Sounds good to me, tiesface, you know you are preaching to the choir!
tiesface

Post by tiesface »

Blanquito wrote:Tiesface, I was 32 when I joined BWE as well!
Awesome! And great to hear. I’m really looking forward to getting more involved.