TN: 2000 Château Magdelaine (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

DavidG

TN: 2000 Château Magdelaine (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

Post by DavidG »

Here’s an old-timey St. Emilion that is drinking beautifully now. Thanks to Blanquito for turning me on to it.
  • 2000 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (4/5/2019)
    Purchased 2019 from Benchmark. Perfect cork and fill, dark red core, lighter at rim without bricking. Nose is all about rich, moist, dark earth overlying dark cherry and hints of mint and vegetal notes. Medium body, excellent balance, fruit and earthy notes play beautifully off of each other. Moderate aged complexity with plenty of acid and fruit to develop even more in the coming years. Drinking wonderfully now but still on the upswing. Excellent.
jal

Re: TN: 2000 Château Magdelaine (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

Post by jal »

Patrick brought one of these for last week's lunch. It was delicious.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Re: TN: 2000 Château Magdelaine (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

Post by Nicklasss »

I concur that the 2000 Magdelaine at Saturday's lunch was an excellent semi-traditionnal Saint Émilion.

Me too count me as a fan of Magdelaine. The 1995 took 10 years to mellowed but was excellent in 2006.

Nic
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Great note, David. The bottle on Saturday showed less earthy to me than others bottles, perhaps because of its flight mates. For me, a classic and beautiful wine that has no where to go but up. 93-94 pts today, maybe 95+ when fully mature?
Last edited by Blanquito on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, I think it has room for improvement with added complexity, but there’s really no reason to hold off as it’s in a beautiful spot right now. It doesn’t seem to be in any danger of going over the hill either. Thanks for tuning me on to this estate. Do they still make them like this?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

They don't make them at all anymore, do they?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

As you probably know, Magdelaine has ceased to exist, having been absorbed by Bélair in 2011, which was rechristened Bélair Monange by the Moueix family.

I have a bottle of the 2000 Magedelaine, so I was glad to read your notes.

Alex R.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Alex, I bet the 2000 Magdelaine would be right in your wheelhouse as is. Still has some primary fruit on display. Not a flashy wine, nor one with true profundity (but how many wines really do?), but so good.

2011 was the final vintage of Magdelaine, unless someone revives it down the road.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yes, Magdelaine was absorbed into the creation of a new and improved Belair-Monange starting in 2012, so they aren’t making it any more. And from what I understand Belair-Monange is much more modern in style.

My question is more general: does anyone in St. Emilion make them like this anymore?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I don’t think so, David. Canon has gone all haute couture, Figeac finally caved and hired Rolland, Pascal Delbeck’s Belair is gone now too, the once great traditional St Emilions of l’Arrosee, Dominique and Grand Mayne are modern shadows of their former glory, etc.

Maybe Ausone and Cheval Blanc are still legit, but who can afford those anymore to find out?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

If I want traditional merlot, I look to Pomerol now or I try to back fill.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I've switched to backfilling as well, but also in part due to age.

Peggy says we already have too much wine. I say we have too little storage space. I don't think I'm winning this debate.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Blanquito wrote:I don’t think so, David. Canon has gone all haute couture, Figeac finally caved and hired Rolland, Pascal Delbeck’s Belair is gone now too, the once great traditional St Emilions of l’Arrosee, Dominique and Grand Mayne are modern shadows of their former glory, etc.

Maybe Ausone and Cheval Blanc are still legit, but who can afford those anymore to find out?
l'Arrosee is gone too now, folded into Haut Brion's St Emilion venture.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

DavidG wrote:Yes, Magdelaine was absorbed into the creation of a new and improved Belair-Monange starting in 2012, so they aren’t making it any more. And from what I understand Belair-Monange is much more modern in style.

My question is more general: does anyone in St. Emilion make them like this anymore?
Anyone had any vintage of Ch. Soutard lately?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

AKR wrote:
Blanquito wrote:I don’t think so, David. Canon has gone all haute couture, Figeac finally caved and hired Rolland, Pascal Delbeck’s Belair is gone now too, the once great traditional St Emilions of l’Arrosee, Dominique and Grand Mayne are modern shadows of their former glory, etc.

l'Arrosee is gone too now, folded into Haut Brion's St Emilion venture.
St Emilion is and has been so DTM for years. Barely worth a second thought at this point. If you need your merlot fix, go Pomerol. If you need your Cab Franc fix, go Chinon. Amazing the waste the modernist consultants and sychphantic, slathering critics have lain on that once great appellation.