After last weekend, going down

Nicklasss

After last weekend, going down

Post by Nicklasss »

After BWE Denver, it is tough to drink some more regular wines. It is tough to come back down after that superb high. I suffered all week, trying to recover, what a time.

Tonight, trying to get back on track with a 2009 Chateau Tour Saint Bonnet. That Médoc is very ripe in 2009, with 14 % alcohol, while many 1989 last week were 12.5-13 %. What happened to Bordeaux after 2000? Dark color, ripe nose of strong ripe blackberries, plums, spices, warm of alcohol, syrupy cherries nose. Mouth is ripe also, doesn't feel like Cabernet Sauvignon at all. Game over. I quit. No more wine for the next week. At this moment, I'm totally controlled, my palate hypnotized, by the great red wines of Bordeaux from another time. Tn: 85.

Nic
stefan

Re: After last weekend, going down

Post by stefan »

Gosh, you young guys should step up to the plate. I mentioned the excellent Bdx we drank last night in another thread. Now I am sipping an outstanding 2006 St Innocent Anden Special Selection that stefanJr opened and am looking forward to drinking his 2007 SI 7 Springs and my 2005 Drouhin Volnay Clos de Chenes later. The Anden makes me not mind so much losing to stefanJr a $60 pot in our last hand of Omaha when he hit on the River after calling my pot bet on the Turn. I drank many other very good but not exalted wines this week.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I howed a beautiful 2013 Beunello Il Poggione last night from the mixed case that I got from Zachy's after JC alerted me to their sale.
Really nice fruit, very friendly, welcoming, and smooth for a Brunello in such infancy. No rough edges.
Rating: 93 points.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Il Poggoine is a good egg. Their Rosso is a fantastic value.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That property just seems to hit the spot for me year after year.
Bordhead2000

Post by Bordhead2000 »

I’m too new here to have been part of the BWE convention. I very much enjoyed reading the stories and seeing the pictures. Thankfully, I was not spoiled by that amazing weekend. While I had to live a bit vicariously, I still have some nice wines to fool around with. Last night, I opened a 1989 Cantemerle.

It was dominated by Brett from the get, which I found entirely pleasant. Smokey, leather, blackened tri-tip were smothering strawberries and blackberries. Eventually, the fruit over powered the Brett, and became much more obvious and powerful. However, the crisp bacon and leather of the Brett remained forever on the finish.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Bordhead 2000, 1989 Cantemerle is a nice wine. Probably the only one missing last weekend.

Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

I did not attend the convention either Bdxhead2000 but mostly b/c I had already earmarked most of my free funds for a nice assortment of 2016 Bdx. Anyways tonight I popped a 2014 Gerard Boulay La Côte Sancerre that I paired with Chilean sea bass, spinach and mushrooms and it was on point with a little air. And whileI love white burgundy, I seem to reach for a Sancerre more frequently so I am curious, am I the only one drinking Sancerre anymore?

And as the btl disappeared rather quickly, I then moved onto some dogfish Pennsylvania Tuxedo’s as that is one of my favorite beers.
Attachments
Boulay
Boulay
7C86C487-FC9D-418E-83C4-90A9719EDA54.jpeg (128.92 KiB) Viewed 966 times
jal

Post by jal »

I find I drink more Sancerre in the warm summer months.
Best

Jacques
Bordhead2000

Post by Bordhead2000 »

jckba wrote:...so I am curious, am I the only one drinking Sancerre anymore...
When I go for a white, it is usually a Chablis or a Pessac-Leognan Blanc.