Short-Term Storage Question

Bordhead2000

Short-Term Storage Question

Post by Bordhead2000 »

I have a big event in June for which I am storing a lot of wine, and I am out of space in my cooler. My cellar will be too hot and dry heading into the summer. Is it okay to store Sauternes and whites in a kitchen refrigerator for 2 months? Thank you in advance.
DavidG

Re: Short-Term Storage Question

Post by DavidG »

Yes. No worries. You might get some tartrate precipitation at refrigerator temperatures if the wines weren’t cold stabilized by the producer. I don’t think that has any noticeable effect on acidity/balance. But you might see white crystals in the wine or on the bottom of the cork.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

What David said.

Chris Bublitz
Bordhead2000

Post by Bordhead2000 »

Thank you, both! I have a spare fridge in the garage. Maybe I can turn the temp up to the high 40's. Besides, having them in that fridge will help the other problem (having to stare at them and know I can't open them every single day).
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

I agree too but would suggest a long gradual warming if possible. Perhaps it's my brain cells working overtime but I feel like refrigerator stored wines lose some complexity unless they have ample time (days?) to rest from the cold shock. I'm OK if no one agrees with me (that's often the case with me anyway!).
Michael-P
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have frozen even Champagne in partly empty bottles and defrosted it a week later. No change in the taste was discernible to me.

For two months, storage at 70F is certainly fine; probably even 75F. 80F is definitely bad.