Hold Down the Fort and Pray

dstgolf

Hold Down the Fort and Pray

Post by dstgolf »

We're leaving Ottawa just as the floods arrive. We've not had a harsh winter and record snowfall in the region in the 28 winters we've been here. Two years ago there were devastating floods and on Thursday the water levels exceeded the so called once in a century floods that we had in 2017. On our way to the Montreal airport homes along the Ottawa river were drowned. Very sad. Thank god where we live we are about 50 ft above the level of the river and are safe. Many friends however are not and we'll have to console then from afar as we head on our new adventure to Japan and knock one more destination off our bucket list. Not big into sake but Japanese beer should fit the bill. We'll see what or if there is any wine scene in Japan. If anyone has any must do restaurants in Japan just pipe in and we'll check back while we're on the ground. Last time we flew out of Montreal airport there were devastating tornadoes that wiped out a swath i west Ottawa something that we've NEVER experienced in history. Global warming or something else ...who knows. If I was superstitious I'd start to think we were the bad karma!!

How's things in Lac St Jean Nic and for your brother in Montreal because anyone close to water is not safe this Spring.
Danny
JimHow

Re: Hold Down the Fort and Pray

Post by JimHow »

It's been a miserable, wet, cold spring here in the Great State of Maine.
The mighty River Androscoggin is swollen to the edge of the banks, the Great Falls are raging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLg_yWd9Ck
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi Danny.

Have a safe and wonderful trip. Seems to me it has been too long since we saw you guys this summer.

No problem with flood around here, and my brother is not too nervous even if there are some flooded street probably less than 3 km from his house.

Sad situation for many people this spring in Québec. Hope our politicians will help them the right way.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

That’s terrible to read about those floods Danny. Hope your loved ones, friends and property are ok. Hope you and Danielle enjoy Japan, for my parents it was their best ever vacation.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I'm sure there's a wine scene in Japan. Somebody (a Brit I believe) used to post here a lot from events in Japan.

Funny thing, when I was there in Hakuba the lodge that I stayed at had some red wine from Austria. It was pretty good although I can't remember the grape. Anyway something like that can expand horizons and add context. I recall having a very nice, merlot-like red (again don't recall the grape) in Stuttgart from local vineyards there.

Flooding sucks. My house here flooded (though just to the level of a skim of water) last fall during the 50-inch deluge Hurricane Lane brought us. Just a helpless feeling.
jal

Post by jal »

So sad, Danny. Hurricane Sandy did a number on our house and others in Chappaqua in 2013; flooding, downed trees, no power. Horrible. Hope you and your friends and families recover quickly.
We went to Japan last year. I remember having one bottle of wine the whole trip - an overpriced Chilean Casilero del Diablo Cabernet during a really expensive Kobe beef dinner in Tokyo.
I remember two excellent sushi places in Tokyo and one great restaurant in Kyoto called Igarashi, a Michelin started joint in a hole in the wall. Great sushi is easy to find everywhere there, we went to Kidogushi in Tokyo and to one in the Isetan Dept store in Shibuya in Tokyo that would compete with any top sushi place in NYC or LA.
Apart from those we mainly had meals at izakayas accompanied with beer.
Have a great trip. Ours last year was magical, especially Kyoto during cherry blossoms
Best

Jacques
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks everyone. Just on the train from Narita airport.

Nic, The problem with governments they are long on promise short on delivery. Everyone is getting their photo ops helping with sandbags and promising financial aid but from 2017 floods most have yet to see a dime. My wifes hair dresser was on the the verge of bankruptcy and she's afraid this time around will push her over the edge. Many like her are in the same boat no pun intended but many wish they had one around now!! Living right across the street from the river brings this very close to home but thank god we're on the high ground but everyone has flooded out across the river on the Quebec side.

Let the adventure begin and hope we come back home to happier faces.
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sad to hear Danny. Hope everyone back home is safe.
Weather's been beautiful for the most part this spring in Ellicott City. No flooding this year.

Have a great time in Japan. I've only been to Kyoto - during the early fall with the gorgeous foliage, beautiful temples, terrific food. Tokyo is still on our list.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Great time in Japan so far. Amazing place and unbelievable food. Their deserts rival the best in the world if you have a sweet tooth.

Unfortunately at home people aren't looking so fortunate.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-ne ... -be-tested
Danny