Hit and miss in Paris so far

jal

Hit and miss in Paris so far

Post by jal »

Miss
Yesterday dinner at Le Villaret, a place we have heard so much about. Ambiance is too America touristy with only English everywhere. Crowded and the waiter and owner, though gracious, barely got a handle on things. Food was mainly ok, asparagus appetizer was amazing but the main dishes - dorade and lotte (sea bream I think and monkfish) were boring. A bottle of 2014 Hubert Lamy St Aubin en Remilly was nicely perfumed but lacked depth and felt flat and faded; 88 for the wine.
Hit
Today lunch at Astier, a better balance of French and American clientele, fewer table for the staff to handle, much better food; an asparagus and smoked haddock tartare was exquisite, a huge veal chop for two with seasonal veggies was extraordinary, excellent cheese plate and a nice lime crème brûlée. Much nicer wine too, a 2012 Jamet Cote Rôtie was phenomenal, great nose of dark berries and bacon, on the palate it’s everything one could want in a top Cote Rôtie, smooth and delicate yet with excellent fruit, vibrancy, brightness, structure and a long finish. This wine gets an easy 97.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Re: Hit and miss in Paris so far

Post by Nicklasss »

I brought a 2009 Jamet at JeanFred but we did not opened it. Great producer. If you can visit one day, worth it.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Love Jamet, used to buy more of it before it got so darn pricey. I do have a few in the cellar, including a couple bottles of the 2012 which I haven’t tried yet. Sounds like there’s no need to wait. Thanks for the note, Jacques.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Fun to read about Paris. Nice notes, too bad the Lamy was dull. I bought a 2015 of that to try soon.

I popped one of the Niellon Maltroie 2014s recently and while delicious in an understated way, it was bone dry to the point of austerity. Will this sweeten up with a little bottle age?
jal

Post by jal »

David, the Jamet was totally accessible.

Patrick I think the idea is to serve it accompanied with shellfish and not too cold. It may soften a bit.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Niellon has never been accused of making flabby wines.
jal

Post by jal »

Lunch at Chez Monsieur yesterday with asparagus in ramp pesto (at least I think it was ramps, here they call it ail des ours) and the house specialty - blanquette de veau. The food was delicious and we drank a 2016 Ferret Pouilly Fuissé that was crisp and bright with good acidity. I continue to like 2016 White Burgundies a lot.
As a side note, for wine geeks, Les Climats, Le Villaret, Vantre and La Cagouille (mainly seafood) are the usual go to places in Paris where one finds a great wine list to accompany supposedly great Bistro fare. I find the food plays second fiddle to wines in those places and would prefer better food even if the wine list is not as deep.
I am a big fan of Astier, though. We try to go there and to Les Botanistes every time we’re in Paris.
I find Taillevant a bit too much even if the service is always excellent.
Going to Le Dôme tonight for seafood. Mediocre wine list, but I’m sure we’ll find something lol.
Best

Jacques
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

At Le Dome, you will be sitting across the six-way intersection from one of our favorite places to sit outside and "watch Paris go by" - La Rotonde. Le Dome is very good for seafood, but agree about the wine list.
jal

Post by jal »

We found something!
2011 Raveneau Montée du Tonnerre
Wonderful wine to accompany some of the biggest, juiciest, tastiest oysters ever along with a roasted John Dory.
The wine is delicious, intense yellow color, not at all Chablis like, more Meursault with a crisp attack, beeswax, round and yet bright and layered. Best white of the trip so far! 94
Le Dôme has the best oysters but the place seems always hectic, even when almost empty. I think lunch there is a better proposition than dinner.
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think I'll try to get to Paris in the fall, depending on my Alaska schedule.
jal

Post by jal »

We are leaving for Israel today after a few nice says here.
Highlights not involving food/wine were a visit to Monet's garden in Giverny, and some nice impressionist exhibits at the Musée Maillol and Musée de l'Orangerie. We also saw the Atelier des Lumières and a great Carmen at the Opera Bastille.
Atelier des Lumières is highly recommended but everything was wonderful. Paris is anything but boring.
Best

Jacques
jckba

Post by jckba »

You know Giverny is one of those magical places that I felt as if I had already been before having visited it due to the numerous works of Claude Monet; whether from the flower garden side of the street in front of the main house or across the street in the Japanese inspired water garden, it’s a very zen like experience, once that is, you remove all of the tourists from your line of sight ;)

And it sounds as if you had yourself a wonderful little sejour en France!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Giverny is indeed a special place.

A couple of nights ago with shrimp po' boys we drank a 2011 Montée du Tonnerre, but from my favorite Chablis producer, Louis Michel. It was very good and would have been even better with oysters.

Nice trip you and Jill had, Jacques. See you in Israel soon.
JeanFred

Post by JeanFred »

Very interesting to read your post and to follow you and Jill trough your trip in Paris. That remember me great time...

Chez Monsieur was a one of our choice but finally we didn’t go.

JeanFred
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ve had the Ferret Pouilly Fuissé recently. It was recommended by the server at a local shop/restaurant. It was just as you describe and a good enough QPR to take a second bottle home.

Also had a Montée vide Tonnere with oysters last week in Chicago, but nothing as exalted as Raveneau. I don’t recall the producer but it was a nice match.

Enjoy Israel and have fun with Stefan & Lucie.
jal

Post by jal »

Thanks guys,
Giverny was packed but the garden in full bloom was gorgeous, puts the Bronx, Atlanta and Sarasota botanical gardens to shame (only ones I've been to).
We're excited to see Stefan and Lucie and hopefully, MichaelP and Nalan as well.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You know BWE is big, when there is an offline organized in Israel!

Have fun.

Nic
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Holy Land/Israel is on our travel list so keep us in the loop about any events there please!
jal

Post by jal »

Jay, we come at least once and sometimes twice a year. We’ll let you know next time we make it, probably spring 2020 but not definite. It would be great to see you and Mrs Vino here.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Also let me know when, Jay. I go once or twice a year to Israel.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thanks Gentlemen. Actually, we were tentatively thinking this fall-November- as PW has a meeting in London but next spring might work as well.