Bélair Dubois-challon

CJD

Bélair Dubois-challon

Post by CJD »

Newby here.
Love the banter. Totally relate to this bdx family.
Miss old Bélair.
Monage at $300 sounds wonderful I’m sure but not quite my cuppa.
Found some old vintages of L’aroseee that tick some of the st Emil. box. Also soutard can hit the spot.
Any suggestions that tick that premier GC profile in the Bélair trad. sense without the $$$ premium.
Grand Corbin despagne, etc doesn’t quite cut it. Looking for a bit more.
JimHow

Re: Bélair Dubois-challon

Post by JimHow »

Welcome CJD, great first note!
We had a nice 2016 this evening in DC, Fonroque, nothing profound, but solid.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Welcome CJD. You sound like you’ll fit in well around here!

So, Belair. I’ve bought some but I’ve yet to try any. But from what I understand about the style at this address, you should try and backfill Magdelaine, Canon, Grand Mayne and Dominique. Anything 2000 and (better yet) older for these 4 St Emilion should fit the bill if you like old school l’Arrosee. I’d add Figeac to that grouping but back vintages there are now $150 and up, and the new stuff is even more expensive.

Lots traditionally made stuff in Pomerol still but Pomerol is pricey.
CJD

Post by CJD »

Thanks Jim & Blanquito. You guys are legendary here.
Bélair was able to deliver that bit of haunting st Emil ++ that a lot of them cannot. Agreed Magdalene had it. Southard has a touch of it.
A recent 1989 Franc Mayne delivers it.
Trying to bait the Compte here cause I know he’s been a fan.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I'm not sure I would lump Grand Mayne nor La Dominique in that finesse St Emilion camp.

You could give a try to Larmande, a Clive Coates favorite.

I have not gotten much out of various Larmande vintages I've cellared, but its more in that lithe style.

Perhaps your luck will be better than mine.

Beausejour Duffau is also comparable, in some of the older vintages, but its likely to cost (far) more than Belair, defeating the point.

I'm not sure where you are, but I rarely ever saw Belair at retail stateside - a few times in NYC at closeout kind of places, or HDH. Blanquito has a good point that its one to buy if you ever even see it. Just share some with your BWE cadres at the next offline since no one else has any :)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Welcome CJD.

I had a few Belair of the Dubois-Challon time and liked them exactly for their traditionnal style.

I can't remember exactly which vintages, but I guess i had the 2001 and 2004.

Agree that Magdelaine, Figeac would be good traditionnal choice. Old Beauséjour-Duffau too are very good, especially 1998 and 2000. Even the 2012 is still with a good part of traditionnal style.

Ausone (very expensive) has a traditionnal style, but another that you can find in the mid price range is probably Pavie-Macquin.

Nic
CJD

Post by CJD »

Thank you all.
Happy to ply the cadres with copious Bélair in return for Nic & AKR supplies of Ausone & Beausejour Duffau!
Have tasted all the suggestions except for Duffau & they are excellent choices to my slightly stuck in the 80’s taste.
One thing I noticed about Bélair was that there was a good degree of consistency across vintages. Never shouting from the rooftops just steady but interesting, the ‘00 & ‘03 were recently very good.
Alas life goes on. St Emilion produces something for everyone & is always a joy to visit.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I checked what I have in the cellar: two 2005 Belair, two 2004 and one 1979. I guess I should try one of these before they become impossible to find, since the old Belair is no more.
CJD

Post by CJD »

All ready to go Blanquito. I haven’t had 79. I’ve tasted 04 & 05 many times & like both. They do pop up on winebid from time to time. Usually reasonably priced.
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

CjD,

Welcome,

For me old Belair was hit or miss. Same guy, Pascal Delbeck at the helm and also making wine at nearby Ausone.

What about Tertre Roteboeuf, Corbin Michotte, Corbin?

Concering L'Arrosee - https://www.greatbordeauxwines.com/chat ... /l-arrosee