2012 Clerc Milon

dstgolf

2012 Clerc Milon

Post by dstgolf »

Japan tour winding down and contrary to our beliefs that Japan would be wine free we have been pleasantly surprised. For Jim we've enjoyed almost daily treks to 7 Eleven a fast food and snack heaven here but also a reasonable selection of inexpensive whites. Sauv Blanc from NZ, Chardonnay from Calif,Chile and Spanish Blaco have been post tour staples.

In Osaka at the Imperial hotel Les Saisons Rest Micheline 1 star we enjoyed a 2012 Clerc Milon that was in a very good place and agree with Jim that 2012 is a vintage to capture for early drinking. Classic pauillac cedar, lead pencil, cassis with soft tannins and good length. Loved this after a little Bordeaux withdrawal going on. Great pairing with the main Kobe tenderloin. This was a hit and if I see some back home or in the States I'd love to puck up some more at a lower price than we payed here 22000yen or about $275usd.

Home tomorrow and Japan has been a fabulous trip. Great food,service and amazing sites. Should be on everyones bucket list and in reality it has been very easy to navigate from town to town on our own with,rail,subway and bus with a little planning. Sites are eye stopping and people extraordinary. Very moving at Hiroshima peace park and these people certainly honour the time. Only regret is that we weren't here sooner.
Danny
robert goulet

Re: 2012 Clerc Milon

Post by robert goulet »

My bucket list place to go...cheers

Did u hit Kyoto?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Very nicely done indeed Danny.
Yes, Japan is on my list.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

robert goulet wrote:My bucket list place to go...cheers

Did u hit Kyoto?
Yea, but you want to go there for other reasons . . . .
AKR

Post by AKR »

I hear great stuff about the place too. Tourism has exploded, a function of currency and a more prosperous Asia interested in seeing the country. Curious/crazy fact - Japan has also - ever so slightly - been boosting their immigration. One of the toughest countries on outsiders has actually been making it easier to not just visit, but work there too. There's even a whole subculture of American ex military retirees there.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like a great trip Danny. I’ve been to Japan only once - Kyoto during peak foliage season. We were being hosted by the Chair of the university ophthalmology department and got the visiting dignitary treatment. Incredible beauty, food, and culture. Way different social norms and expectations, reading up ahead of time was helpful. No wine other than sake during our trip, but we didn’t make an effort to pursue it. Plenty of late night drinking, though.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Bobby,

Kyoto for 4 days during Golden week was our least favourite place mainly because of the tourist congestion. Beautiful places to see but overwhelmed with huge crowds everywhere. At the Inari Gates people were lined up for a mile to squash through the narrowed gate entrance and thank god for our guide that took us through a side entrance. You need to see the sites in Kyoto but certainly a place I have no interest on returning to. Kanazawa was magical and we loved Osaka but didn't have enough time with only 2 days. Nara was a high-lite and Hiroshima was an emotional stop that exceeded expectations. Nice to chill in Miyajima and back to Tokyo for a few days after Golden week realizing that everyone had returned from holiday and the city was no where near as empty on returning as when we first arived 2 1/2 weeks ago. A high-lite in Tokyo was the Obaida district which is a reclaimed island entertainment,hotel,shopping area that reminds me of vegas meets Downtown Disney with the Statue of Liberty full scale model overlooking the Rainbow bridge and modern downtown Tokyo. Their's construction everywhere gearing up for 2020 olympic games.

Japans economy has been waining so 3 years ago they put on a push to promote tourism and there are loads of Chinese,Koreans, South East Asians and few white people from around the world that stick out. They are doing a great job with everyone trying to speak English and subways/trains/and buses announce in Japanese and English. There have been no issues getting around and the one thing you notice is how clean and efficient everything is. People take great pride in their environment and it's great to see how people respect one anothers space. Sound on cell phones must be off and no talking on cell on public transit or public spaces. How refreshing is that!!

For those interested in travelling through Japan the JNTO web site they have a network of free good samaritan guides listed for most cities that we used and they were fantastic and yes free apart from paying their travel expenses and meals were free. A great way to plan your trip.

Never thought wine was going to be a thing in Japan but 7 Eleven here is certainly not like in North America and supplies reasonable wines. The better restaurants have very good wine lists though a bit pricey. For that special moment you can't think about what you pay back home and enjoy the moment.

Leaving for the airport in an hour and it has been a great trip.
Danny