Pauillac: Chateau Chantecler - Anyone familiar?

tiesface

Pauillac: Chateau Chantecler - Anyone familiar?

Post by tiesface »

Chateau Chantecler is a 1 hectare vineyard situated in Pauillac between Mouton, Lafite, and Pontet Canet, family owned by the Mirande Family (Yannick Mirande now runs the property). They previously owned 12 hectares, and they sold off most to Mouton in 2004. My friend works for SommSelect and recommended the 2016 that they are offering. I'm all-in on 2016 Pauillac, so I bit like a sucker :D Is anyone familiar with this property? Obviously small production and very hard to find information. Hardly any bottles even logged on Cellartracker.

Ian Cauble (of the Somm documentaries) runs SommSelect, and frankly, despite my friendship with the other Somm, this was my first purchase through their website. I've had some solid wines of theirs, just seems a bit hyperbolic and too much of a flash sale website for my tastes. Unsurprisingly, he's a fan of this Chateau. Here's the link:

https://www.sommselect.com/?product=cha ... pauillac-8
AKR

Re: Pauillac: Chateau Chantecler - Anyone familiar?

Post by AKR »

It sounds like Behere or Colombier Pelou, other micro Pauillacs one doesn't see much here.

Are they really asking $95 per?

That's Kermit Lynch style salesmanship!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Never heard of it, but there’s plenty I haven’t heard of. If quality matches location - between Mouton, Lafite, and Pontet Canet - $95 is a bargain.

The sales pitch is over the top. Touting investment value is a turn off. I’m past the pioneering phase of my Bordeaux infatuation. Twenty years ago I’d be up for giving this a spin. Today, pass. Positive reviews from a few people whose palates I know could change my mind. So when do you plan to pop one?
tiesface

Post by tiesface »

Ha! I have the mainstay growths from Pauillac being delivered over the summer (from the dreadful and fraudulent GPL to the venerable PLL), and I plan to taste them all in the name of science shortly after. May even be able to blind them in the fall including Chantecler - I'll be sure to let you guys know.

Agree on the investment pitch, particularly as there is not a market for this Chateau, now or in the foreseeable future.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It seems like the main argument for these kinds of purchases is that so one can pull off a truly comprehensive horizontal AOC panel tasting.

But I applaud that on general principles.