Zinfandel?

sdr

Zinfandel?

Post by sdr »

It’s almost summer, it’s hot, it’s grilling and BBQ time.

I’m tired of all those old ‘47 Cheval, ‘59 Mouton and ‘61 Latour wines. Want something completely different. And don’t even mention that wimpy Pinot Noir. Something big and bold. Something for both the civilians and the Bordeaux snobs.

What about ZINFANDEL? Does anybody drink the stuff? I know Jay likes it, anybody else? Is it a case of the younger the better? I want to drink it now, not age it.

I read a smattering of notes here on Ridge Vineyards, York Creek and Lytton Springs. What about Turkey, Bedrock, Martinelli, Carlisle, Seghesio? Any others?

Signed,
Desperate in Florida, Stu
DavidG

Re: Zinfandel?

Post by DavidG »

I used to drink a lot of Zin, Stu, in the early days while waiting for my Bordeaux to mature. Still pop one now and then, even though my preferences have shifted away from the ripe, up front fruit typical of most Zins. They’re fine with grilled meats and pizza or pasta with the right sauce. I was never a big fan of Zin with BBQ though it can be OK depending on the rub or sauce. In the heat of summer they’re indoor wines. I see the riper, more alcohol ones as cocktail rather than food wines.

Ridge is a favorite, with Geyserville (not a true Zin) ahead of Lytton Springs (or whatever they call it now) and York Creek, but I like all three. They have a bunch of others I don’t know.

Turley used to be over the top ripe, oaky, and high alcohol (17%+) but they dialed it back and the less expensive ones like Juveniles are good.

Martinelli was and I think still is over the top on ripeness and alcohol.

I like Carlisle a lot, haven’t recently tried the others on your list but I hear a lot of good things about Bedrock.

One to add to your list is Scherrer OMV (old mature vines). I don’t know if it’s distributed but it can be bought direct from the winery.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ridge Geyserville '16.
And be sure to drink it young.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Ridge Geyserville is still my favorite - it’s a blend that’s generally around 70% Zinfandel. I like the other stuff from Ridge as well so I don’t experiment much anymore.

Chris Bublitz
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

My only experience with Turley was with those over the top, high alcohol monstrosities. That scared me away from Turley forever.

I have had Geyserville with several years of age and liked them just fine but they are very appealing young.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

I buy only Ridge Zins, mostly Geyserville and Lytton Springs. I like many Ridge ATP wines as well. I am not a member, but stefanJr is, so I drink his when he is willing to share. Other Zins I like, including Carlisle, but I rely on friends to provide them. I used to buy Rafanelli, Ravenswood, and Seghesio, all of which made some good ones that were, however, not as complex as those made by Ridge.
marcs

Post by marcs »

I never understood the fuss around Ridge Zins. They just always seemed kind of "meh" to me.

Carlisle can be terrific but they are super alcoholic (15.5-16.5%). I think I might prefer Bedrock.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Ridge is at the top of my list but Bedrock isn't bad.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Winona Chief wrote:Ridge Geyserville is still my favorite - it’s a blend that’s generally around 70% Zinfandel. I like the other stuff from Ridge as well so I don’t experiment much anymore.

Chris Bublitz
Big +1. I drink a fair amount of Zinfandel, but only if the label says Ridge Vineyards. Geyserville is awesome young and ages well too.

But you’ve had Geyserville, Stu (right?).

Patrick (also sick and tired of the 47 Cheval)
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Hi Stu! Yes, those classics can just get hum-drum, can't they?

At the risk of being banned from BWE for lack of taste, I'll tell you that we drink a lot of Turley (Zin and Petite Sirah from old vine vineyards) and Bedrock (lots of field blends a la Ridge, again with old vines) with grilled meats and they should meet your "big and bold" requirement. Both producers make literally dozens of wines each year, and I have to admit that I can't tell you what my favorite(s) might be. It's not that they can't be differentiated, but we never taste more than one at a time and the house style always seems to shine through.

Turley's two cheapest and most available wines are Juveniles and Old Vines. Wine-searcher Pro doesn't turn up much Bedrock at retail.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi sdr.

Like the other members here, I would recommend Ridge Geyserville or Lytton Spring. I liked Turley Zin the few (2 or 3) times I had them.

If you have problems finding them, I would be ok to exchange a 2013, 2015 or 2016 Ridge Geyserville with any of the old Bordeaux you listed up there.

Nic
Claret

Post by Claret »

Ridge is great, they get Claret like after a couple of decades or so.

My sweet spot for Zin is Dry Creek in Sonoma. Quivera is a good one. Seghesio is good too. Do not overlook some of the old vines in El Dorado and Amador counties. Gold Rush survivors in Sierra Nevada Foothills. Jessies Grove in Lodi too.

I really pay attention to ABV level, pushing past 15% is risky but can be done with balance by some. Others will be hot with textures ruined by alcohol and acid additions. Possibly raisined fruit, yuck!
Glenn
AKR

Post by AKR »

The only one I buy - and that is still pretty infrequently - is Ridge's Geyserville.

They're solid and popular among non wine geeks, who don't always care for enthusiast type wines.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Arv, have you been traversing and tasting in Eldorado or the Foothills lately? Placerville, Apple Hill and even Shingle Springs have established vines, some very old too. Holly's Hill in Fairplay for fine Rhones.

The level of winemaking as well as favorable recent vintages have upped the game for the better.

Amador also has old Zin, some 19th Century. I like Easton.
Glenn
sdr

Post by sdr »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Only Ridge Geyserville seems to get much respect.

Still concerned the fruit loving heathens will find Ridge too shy or too complex, though.

Still can’t convince my local wine group to do a Zinfandel tasting even though they drink all the other 10,000 varieties in Jancis’s tome.

Stu
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claret wrote:Arv, have you been traversing and tasting in Eldorado or the Foothills lately? Placerville, Apple Hill and even Shingle Springs have established vines, some very old too. Holly's Hill in Fairplay for fine Rhones.

The level of winemaking as well as favorable recent vintages have upped the game for the better.

Amador also has old Zin, some 19th Century. I like Easton.
Oddly enough Mrs AKR and one of her friends went to a day long Amador wine festival where they must have tried a bunch of the local efforts.

I've only had a few of the local ones, that make to into our Costco.

We haven't really explored enough of those close by areas.

They are quite pretty in the fall
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

sdr wrote:fruit loving heathens
Dibs on the TradeMark rights!!!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Been wondering what to name my band....
jckba

Post by jckba »

I don’t drink a lot of Zin by any means but it is my go to domestic pairing for baby back ribs as otherwise I am going Rhône. I generally pick up a few Turkey Juveniles (multi vineyard sourced) when I find them on sale for a decent around $25 price-tag otherwise it’s an easy pass along with a couple of Robert Biale Black Chickens (Napa), a Bedrock (Sonoma) or two and a Limerick Lane (RRV).

About 10 years ago I bought a bunch of the single vineyard Turley’s hoping for an ah ha Zinfandel experience but they did not age to my liking being overripe, pruny and more importantly, a little to alcoholic and out of balance, so now I tend to polish them off young.